What's new

Are straight razor users not that into brushes

View attachment 216580View attachment 216581View attachment 216582View attachment 216579View attachment 216578Can't tell you where I'll come out on this discussion. Just got my first straight razor last month for my birthday and have a custom Rudy Vey on the way to match it. Won't start shaving with the straight until the brush arrives.

I think you're going to need a matching green strop!

Kidding aside, I'm pretty obsessed about brushes as well. Omega boars and Vie-Long horse-badger blends are my favorite "go to" brushes. I have a feeling that most SR shavers prefer face-lathering, am I wrong about this?

Last edited:
View attachment 216580View attachment 216581View attachment 216582View attachment 216579View attachment 216578Can't tell you where I'll come out on this discussion. Just got my first straight razor last month for my birthday and have a custom Rudy Vey on the way to match it. Won't start shaving with the straight until the brush arrives.

BTW, welcome to B&B! That Mountain Man strop you mentioned ordering on your introduction thread looks like a good one to start out with. Good luck!

Okay gents, thanks for all the input. You have proved that generalisations are dangerous and inaccurate. Perhaps the straight guys just talk more about their straights, honing and stropping than their brushes. After all, using a brush is a LOT easier than mastering a straight!

I don't know about the majority, but I probably have close to 15 brushes. So I would say that it isn't true that straight razor shavers aren't into brushes. Those DE users have it easy. The prices people balk at for high end DE razors would rarely cause anyone to bat an eye over here, not to mention how much some of these hones go for. So maybe they have a bigger budget left over for brushes?
That would be the only reason I can see...a Nos Fiily, a nice Escher, Kanayama strop....I am out around $1500 so my brush fund is a bit limited...and SWMBO has taken the credit cards!

Top Bottom