What's new

Are straight razor users not that into brushes

I'll present the other side of the argument, from a DE user perspective (five months in), I have seven DEs and the same brush I started with, a Tweezerman. I just haven't seen the need for another one but it would be nice to have a travel brush. Maybe I should try just lathering in the hands and applying to the face.

For me a brush is still a mere tool, where a straight is a work oh art. My Ratio is 2:5.

Since I began working with Semogue master craftsman almost 4 years ago, I know that a shaving brush is also a work of art.

Just like a straight razor.

I don't know where you got the idea that the straight razor guys don't like or care for brushes. What do you think we use before putting a one inch blade in our face? Canned goo with our bare hands?

I'll present the other side of the argument, from a DE user perspective (five months in), I have seven DEs and the same brush I started with, a Tweezerman. I just haven't seen the need for another one but it would be nice to have a travel brush. Maybe I should try just lathering in the hands and applying to the face.

~~~pick up a tube of this-
proxy.php

next time you're in a well stocked drug store (CVS, Walgreens, etc.). Meant to be applied w/o a brush. I noticed stebbins says he never uses a brush....as well as this nuetrogena product works, I can see why, but I think stebbins said he makes lather in his hand with traditional shaving soap or cream? Seriously, this Nuetrogena product rocks, but I'm kickin old school so that means I use a traditional shave brush. I love boar brushes, horse hair too but a certain English badger brush is what I've been using most lately
proxy.php

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

I enjoy the the shapes of the handles, the different knot sizes and lofts. While I am very satisfied with my brushes(5 badger, 3 boar) I do have 3 handles waiting for knots and another brush I have just picked up.

So while I most often have my eyes open for straights, I am also always on the look out for brushes screaming for me to take them home.

Do you have a cat? They work pretty well in my experience. The cat didn't seem to like it too much but it's my shave that counts.

Legion

Staff member
Unfortunately for me, I like everything, brushes, straights, DEs, soaps, creams...

Yes. The honest answer is I have just as silly amount of brushes as I do everything else to do with shaving. It's a sickness with many symptoms.

I got a couple Rudy Vey brushes early on, and never really felt the need for anything else. Tried a couple others but my RV's are all I need.

I don't think that has anything to do with the fact that I'm a straight razor shaver though.

$straight razor photo 3-1.jpg$Rudy brush in progress 1.jpg$Rudy brush in progress 2.jpg$IMG_3317.jpg$IMG_3318.jpgCan't tell you where I'll come out on this discussion. Just got my first straight razor last month for my birthday and have a custom Rudy Vey on the way to match it. Won't start shaving with the straight until the brush arrives.

Top Bottom