What's new

Are straight razor users not that into brushes

I've got more DE's , soaps, brushes, blades,AS, etc. than most normal people would require. But once the Straight bug bit that did it for me. Sure , I still spin up some brushes when I get bored with what I have been using but the fascination with a straight is so much more. It's more personally interactive with more variables and facets that keep me intrigued. Restoring a piece ( and what that requires, more than just scrubbing bubbles on a DE) , honing/stropping it ( and the variables there) Scales and making them ( what a variety) and then the challenges inherent in actually using one and the skills that requires. It seems to me to be so much more direct. And who ever thought that such a seemingly simple device could offer so many options. You can't get much more basic and to the point than a plain piece of steel. It's shaving boiled down to it's most basic elements. But presents so many challenges for contemplation and execution. Make one adjustment here or there and you get direct feedback. If you're so inclined to making and restoring you have a greater canvas to express your ideas and enjoy the fruits of your efforts. Not just swapping blade from one DE to another. Or seeing how well a brush works with different soaps. It's personal.

I'm a 100% straight shaver and I'm not into brushes. I have one brush: a $15 synthetic I got from Amazon. I use it every day. The most important thing (for me) for a brush is that it's synthetic so it dries completely and doesn't foster the growth of bacteria.

I was bitten by the straight bug before even trying a de, now that I do have a nice de I have realized it's just a fancy version of disposables. When it comes to my brush collection, I have a Burma Shave Boar, a mid grade badger I handled, and a shea moisture synthetic. So with brushes I think I'm covering my basics and I don't feel a need for more. Like others said there are just way more factors with straights that make a different shave. With de's you're basically bound by the different blades you can buy and different hones and whetstones create a different shave better than different brushes. This is all opinion so feel free to ignore me. :p

I've got 5 straights, haven't touched a DE in 4 months, haven't used a cart except on my head in 5 months.
I also have a Simpson Rover, Commodore, 57, and WhippedDog 24mm Silvertip as my regular rotation.
Have a Frank's Silvertip travel brush... and I still have my Jagger "best" cheapie.

Dude at least use a DE on the head man. I'm really nooby with my straight and the sides of my head, and top get the straight razor shave, and I get the back with a DE. If anything the sides and all but the very top of the scalp are EASIER to shave with a straight.

I don't know about the majority, but I probably have close to 15 brushes. So I would say that it isn't true that straight razor shavers aren't into brushes. Those DE users have it easy. The prices people balk at for high end DE razors would rarely cause anyone to bat an eye over here, not to mention how much some of these hones go for. So maybe they have a bigger budget left over for brushes?

I think the idea with the DE's is that they're all just a thing that holds a cheap *** blade, where with a straight you're buying the blade and handle as one. Since I have both...I wouldn't spend a ton on a DE for most any reason...no matter what it's just a thing holds a DE blade.

You might have a point here, I got five brushes, Simpson Wee Scot, Berkeley and Chubby 1 and Semogue 830 and 750, these cover all variations I want in brushes, but the Chubby is the one I use 98% of the times, while I at the moment got 10 straights where all cost from aprox the same as the Chubby up to 3-4 times as much.

I find greater joy in more variaty in my straights than brushes.

I find that the $$$ difference amongst brushes means less and less the more you learn about brushes, where as that same money will give me much more variety and fun from a straight. That said if I had the cash there are a couple brushes I would gladly welcome into my shave den.

I'm a 100% straight shaver and I'm not into brushes. I have one brush: a $15 synthetic I got from Amazon. I use it every day. The most important thing (for me) for a brush is that it's synthetic so it dries completely and doesn't foster the growth of bacteria.

How much of the bacteria can survive in a lathered brush? Honest question, because one of my more dense brushes (that dries out slowly) would stink if I washed it out but used it every day.

I have been leaving the soap in it (but I face lather, so the soap is pretty much only on the end of the brush, not all over it), and the lather dries out to a fluff skeleton and the brush never stinks now. I'm assuming it's because the shave soap ultimately kills whatever was growing before (the brush is no more dry than it was before), or makes the environment such that it can't take hold at all.

I haven't used a brush in more than a year. I rub shaving soap in my hands and apply the foam/lather onto my face and neck. No issues.

Bacteria on a shaving brush? If that's the case, can you imagine what's on your tooth brush? Paranoia causes infections, too.

I haven't used a brush in more than a year. I rub shaving soap in my hands and apply the foam/lather onto my face and neck. No issues.

I tried that, a few shaves ago. I liked the idea more than the practice, but I certainly understand the appeal.

Legion

Staff member

Amateur. Real men just leave the soap puck sitting on the sink and then slide their face around on top of it. Hands. Pfft. :sneaky2:

I have both straight and de razor,s 2 straight 1 DE. I was curious as to how a DE shaved as i got into straight shaving first. My interest in brushes sorta disappeared after i bought my thater brush, i have it and a cheap boar brush. unless something comes up I'm set for brushes. i would love to buy more straights but i have other hobbies that cost more then shaving...

3 brushes, 5 razors. Currently looking for a better boar brush but that would only make it to 4 and 5. Will have to look at other types to even it out.

I went through a brush restoration phase before my SR restorations kicked in. I just like restoring and using vintage stuff. I don't mind what it is. All my brushes except the wee Scot are vintage restores. And I have a number of them.

Same here. I have a couple dozen vintage restores, a dozen or so unrestored and another dozen or so in a drawer somewhere. Now most of my energy goes into restoring straights and honing. I pretty much exhausted the challenge of rebuilding brushes and they all work about the same, which is to say they do their job well. I have three knots queued up for restores and plans to order two more of my current favorite, but that is about it. I find honing straights to be more of a fun challenge these days. Shaving is at its essence moving a sharp metal edge across the skin and the fun of straight shaving is that you have almost total control over what that edge will be.

I have but one brush, an Omega pure badger. It replaced my previous brush, a Tweezerman badger. I have one DE and use Derby Extra's with that exclusively. I have a half dozen soaps and creams, but a couple dozen straights ranging in size from 8/8's down to 4/8's in a variety of grinds, points, and scales. What I shave with on any given day is decided by what catches my fancy. But, always the same brush.

"Are straight razor users not that into brushes?"

Nonsense!

My 2 favorite wet-shaving gear is the shaving brush and the straight razor. I love them both and I can't choose which one I love most.

Germaphobic Californian, that's something new! Lol, just messing with ya. Yeah I do think it's silly but whatever works for you. :smile:

But you really need to check out the new Muhle Silvertip Fiber brushes, they are supposed to be just amazing, and take synthetic brushes to a whole another level. I'm so intrigued I even ordered one myself. :smile
That'll be my 7th brush.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I have more Straights than Safety Razors & Brushes combined... but, I have over a dozen brushes.

For me, you may have a point as I'm not that into brushes (I have 4 which I guess could make me a liar... :p). Once I found a brush I really liked (3/1 Super) I stopped buying them other than a dedicated travel brush (Wee Scot). I've thought about buying one more but really haven't been looking at all.

I have found a few straights I really, really like but I'm still on the hunt for them at all times.

Top Bottom