What's new

Are Straight Razor Users Cooler than DE Users?

Are Straight Razor Users Cooler than DE Users?

• Of course they are!

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • No question about it - way cooler!

Votes: 36 80.0%

• Total voters

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
QUOTE="Bbb34, post: 10159798, member: 116807"]"It's not the plane, it's the pilot". :a29:

Comments like these are why straight shavers are (sometimes) NOT cooler. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

(All in good fun of course, don't take this too seriously, I'm just poking fun)[/QUOTE]

Huh, you mean yours or mine? I've always wanted to shave with one on a regular basis, but at my age the hand control is lacking mebbe. And I've always been a firm subscriber to the Arrow, Not Indian tribe ..

Huh, you mean yours or mine? I've always wanted to shave with one on a regular basis, but at my age the hand control is lacking mebbe. And I've always been a firm subscriber to the Arrow, Not Indian tribe ..

I meant mine, the "it's not the plane..." one.

I was just being "wise", but all in good fun, no malice. :D :D :D

On a more serious note, I do get it, it's not the easiest thing to do, and especially if you're lacking honing skills (I do for now, never honed one yet) ... so, initially you second guess everything AND your own skill, but somehow eventually everything falls in place, and once it does, it is "cool" way to shave indeed.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I meant mine, the "it's not the plane..." one.

I was just being "wise", but all in good fun, no malice. :D :D :D

On a more serious note, I do get it, it's not the easiest thing to do, and especially if you're lacking honing skills (I do for now, never honed one yet) ... so, initially you second guess everything AND your own skill, but somehow eventually everything falls in place, and once it does, it is "cool" way to shave indeed.

As was I sir .. though I do wish it would click somehow, someday ..

We all know that SR users are masters at fencing, only write perfect calligraphy with italic pens, are personal friends with several prime ministers and concert pianists and are capable of perfectly competent transplant and brain surgery. What more needs to be said....

After thinking more, if there is anything about using a SR that's special, it's the bonding that the user established with the blade. I call it the brotherhood of the blade as it must be established and maintained in order to work well. It is a definite skill. However the same could be said of using a chain saw.

There is nothing inherently difficult about using a bare blade unless you are clumsy or that you don't pay attention, but that's true for shaving in general.

I wish to help more to experience a SR, but it seems new users post of their interest only never to return.

I'm a de user and I must concede that it takes a level of chutzpah even i don't have to shave with a straight

I should add that with safery razors generally the history begins in the early 1900's. With a straight, we go to the 1700's. Being able to connect, loosely perhaps, to this era is amazing.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Is it cool to shave with a REAL razor? Yeah. You are in an exclusive club when you shave in the manly manner. Technically anybody can join. In practice, the mystique of the razor serves as a harsh gatekeeper that keeps the less adventuresome away. So even though we welcome one and all into this thing of ours, there is still a bit of elitism and swagger.

Is it even cooler to shave with a razor that you forged in a brick lined pit of artisan ricked charcoal in the ground with forced draft courtesy of a blow dryer once owned by Jayne Mansfield, out of a stack of old used hacksaw blades with a piece of railway rail for an anvil and cryo quenched in liquid nitrogen, and honed on an interesting rock you discovered on a field expedition into the Gobi Desert and hand lapped on a calibrated granite lapping table, with mammoth ivory scales from tusks you just happened to stumble over while hunting tigers in Siberia, inlaid with sapphires from a 14th century crown once belonging to the King of Siam? IMNSHO, yeah.

Honorable mention for shaving with a nice GD mod you did yourself.

If all you got is an entry level Boker or a nice vintage scored on fleabay, you are still in. As long as you are actually shaving with it.

I'm a de user and I must concede that it takes a level of chutzpah even i don't have to shave with a straight
I thought this until I tried using them. They aren't really any more challenging than a DE, in my opinion. I do, however, go a bit slower, but not much slower.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom