What's new

Are some DE razors easier to shave upper lip area?

Today hooked my razor on a hair right under my nose blade pulled it like a fish hook and I got the worst cut in probably a year. Anyone find certain razors in your rotation are easier right under the nose?

I have several razors and to me the easiest one is the Rockwell 6S/6C with plate #2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me smaller is definitely easier more agile but if needed I mow with that big honk of a qshave futul. I think it depends on your nose/face.
Still want a fixed head se for just that.

I also feel that blade rigidity is a major aspect of ATG mustache passes. I like injectors a lot for it, their nimble head and stiffer blades perform very well. I also really enjoy my Gillette new short comb, and my PAA Ascension DOC.

R

romsitsa

Thin head Old types/lookalikes and injectors. The thinner/shorter the head is the better.

Rockwell plate of your preference. Make 2 XTG passes followed by a Fool’s Pass using plate 2. The shave is close and if you go slow, easy and pay attention you won’t cut yourself.

Last edited:
Razors with thinner head profile like Razorock Lupo and Gillette Old Type makes it easier for me. However, in general, I don't have much issue getting the mustache area with any razor. Perhaps a Futur would be a hard one to work with, I imagine.

In my current razor collection my Muhle R89, Gillette Ball End Tech and Gillette Flare Tip Rocket all give good shaves to the moustache area. on the other hand I have also cut myself in this area with these razors. I’m not 100% sure on what the determining factor is yet, but I suspect that it is probably poor technique on my part ie not reducing the moustache enough during the XTG pass.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Blackland Razors Vector has a small and exceptionally nimble head - no touch-up razor required. :)

When using a DE with a larger head and I need a bit of around the nose touch-up, I usually reach for the Schick Type E. :)

A Fatip Open Comb Slant makes shaving ATG on the upper lip easier for me due to how rigid it holds the blade.

The Muhle R41 doesn't hold the blade as rigidly, but it is so efficient on WTG and XTG passes, it means there's less left behind for ATG. It also has almost no blade overhang, so you can get nice and close on the sideways passes.

An Old Type has a great deal of overhang, which makes the sideways (XTG) work harder to do, in my opinion.

Your cut sounds scary! Hope it heals nice and quick.

I’ll come clean with you guys, don’t tell anyone: I simply cannot with any DE get every hair under my nose. I still use a Fusion with it’s perfect auxilliary blade. There - I said it :blush:

Top Bottom