What's new

Are Simpson Chubby brushes worth the money?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yes! Absolutely!!

No way in "heck"!!!

... one of those two, depending on your personal views. :wink2:

A Toyota Yaris will get you from Point A to Point B just as quickly and reliably as a Lexus sedan. Is the Lexus "worth the money"? Well, to each his own.

If you are interested in the cheapest bang-for-buck brush to get lather on your face, you don't need a Chubby. If you want a better shaving experience, then maybe the Chubby is for you ... or not, depending on how you like that sort of loft/density ratio. (If you decide to upgrade from the Yaris, do you want a Lexus ... or a Mustang? ... or ...??)

Yes! Absolutely!!

No way in "heck"!!!

... one of those two, depending on your personal views. :wink2:

A Toyota Yaris will get you from Point A to Point B just as quickly and reliably as a Lexus sedan. Is the Lexus "worth the money"? Well, to each his own.

If you are interested in the cheapest bang-for-buck brush to get lather on your face, you don't need a Chubby. If you want a better shaving experience, then maybe the Chubby is for you ... or not, depending on how you like that sort of loft/density ratio. (If you decide to upgrade from the Yaris, do you want a Lexus ... or a Mustang? ... or ...??)

How much is in the eye of the beholder and how much is a clear difference in quality or performance? It's possible a better analogy might be comparing a $10 bottle of wine to a $100 bottle of wine.

don't understand why Simpsons claim Chubby has been acknowledged as the finest shaving brush available in the world today?
to most people Chubby 1 handle is too short for comfort use, Chubby 2 knot size splay too big and Chubby 3 is ridiculous.
many still looking for the so call Chubby 1.5
:confused1

don't understand why Simpsons claim Chubby has been acknowledged as the finest shaving brush available in the world today?
to most people Chubby 1 handle is too short for comfort use, Chubby 2 knot size splay too big and Chubby 3 is ridiculous.

I disagree wholeheartedly. The Chubby3 in Super is one of my favorite brushes.Its not ridiculous.However,,I have predeliction for Large,soft brushes.

Craig

The Chubby 3 is the best brush I have ever used and I have used quite a few in my time! Some may say too big but those people have small hands ;)

and Chubby 3 is ridiculous.

Did you mean "ridiculously luxurious?" Cause I hit myself in the face this morning with a virtual wall of soft super 3-band simpson badger lathered in MdC and it was pretty much as good as it gets. I can't imagine it getting better than my CH3s (2-band and 3-band super).

Think not many people will enjoy the face area a Chubby 3 will cover during face lathering and the amount of product they need to proper load it.
Per shave we only use that much of lather for the few passes, most of the lather going to waste and wash away.
i know there are people enjoying big brushes but for most people these brushes are simply too big to use regularly.
But there are some people out there will enjoy a Polo 14. :w00t:

I haven't used the Semogue Silvertip brushes, but I would guess that those brushes are much less dense than the Simpson Chubby line of shaving brushes. Personally, I have never got on with the Simpson Chubby line of brushes. It is an iconic shaving brush line for sure, but I have always felt that they hog lather. You do get quite a bit of badger hair for your money, though. If you have to get a Simpson Chubby brush, I would recommend you get it in Two-Band Super Badger.

That said, I am looking forward to other people's thoughts.

Altshaver,
Thanks for your thoughts on the Chubby.

Malocchio,
Thanks for your suggestioin, but having it shipped to Canada can be quite expensive and time consuming.
Cheers

Thank you all for your opinions on the Chubbies. i guess i will just have to try them and let you all know what i think.
Cheers,

Top Bottom