What's new

Are shaving soaps really slicker than creams?

I've only ever used creams but I've heard soaps are harder to lather but slicker, which I'm all for because I have sensitive skin and anything that make a blade glide smoother across my face is a good thing.
Any recommendations for someone who has never used soap and has sensitive skin and coarse hair?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So many variables. I think it depends more on the ingredients and quality than whether it's a cream or a soap. But that's just me. If you can handle the smell of Tabac, which most people really like, I don't think it can be beat.

Or Stirling. They make a GREAT product.

For me, I find that overall, good soaps perform better most of the time. But it does depend on the soap or cream. If you dial into a cream that works for you, it can be very rewarding. But, if I want a guaranteed great shave, I know which soaps to reach for - and Tabac sure is a winner!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Honestly, a good cream is likely going to berform better than an OK soap. I like soaps better.

I have sensitive skin too, and after trying many high quality soaps, I can say that my favorite is Cella. Save yourself the effort of a search!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Unless you have an allergy to almonds.
Yeah, I can use gasoline as aftershave, but Almond lights me up.
Or in the absence of gasoline, For an aftershave you can use chiseled Face Midnight Stag
Lucky for everyone involved I have a solution for that too

proxy.php

I've only ever used creams but I've heard soaps are harder to lather but slicker, which I'm all for because I have sensitive skin and anything that make a blade glide smoother across my face is a good thing. Any recommendations for someone who has never used soap and has sensitive skin and coarse hair?
I've use both soaps and creams and I can't tell a difference, personally, in how easily one lathers compared to the other. Hard soaps might take more time, but I don't find they're not more difficult to work with.

Specific recommendations for soap are difficult because everyone is so different in what they like and what works for them. I've had great success with Stirling soaps, but again, that's me.

My thinking is that this idea of creams being slicker stems from the fact that they already incorporate more water than a soap does. Thinking a soap isn't slick enough likely means it's just under hydrated.

Not sure as a general rule, but compared to all of my soaps, Crown shaving cream is about the slickest thing I have in my drawer.

So many variables. I think it depends more on the ingredients and quality than whether it's a cream or a soap. But that's just me. If you can handle the smell of Tabac, which most people really like, I don't think it can be beat.

Or Stirling. They make a GREAT product.

+1! Ingredients and your water quality are the key variables IMO! :clap: :clap:

And you can always go with a ’soft’ (or ’Italian’) soap which would be more or less in the middle ground.

Slickness is less a function of soap vs cream and more a function of ingredients and technique IMO.
Some products are slick no matter what you do, and some need to be dialed in more precisely. That‘s the fun part of this madness.

Reactions: GNR
Top Bottom