What's new

Are shaving soap 'puck' refills a universal size?

Good evening all.

My Amazon shaving soap got ruined today because during the bathroom renovation works I forgot to remove it and it got covered in brick dust! I had to take the soap out and put it in the bin. However the metal bowl it came in is still in perfect condition and it has gone in the dishwasher for cleaning. In the meantime I'll use it as a lathering bowl for my creams. Don't worry my Sledgehammer, my Schick Stick Injector, my Slim and my Micromatic (and my brush and blades) are well out of harm's way! My Gillette Fusion razor also got covered in dust! (Don't laugh!)

Back to the point of this post. Are shaving soap 'pucks' universally sized? Im asking because my wife is very keen to get me a replacement! How kind of her is that!

Jason.

they tend to be in the ballpark of around 90-120g with some variation in hight vs width/diameter. Hasslinger's are 60g and a smaller diameter.

if you have a container you're happy with, trim/smush/grate/thinly slice and then compress the soap into a puck in your container with damp fingertips to bond them and have a great life. if you trim to fit, just wet and smush the trimmings to the top of the puck. if the puck doesn't hit the sides of your container, wet the bottom of the puck so it sticks and won't spin. if you have enough depth for two pucks, make it fit by the above methods so that it fits the sidewalls, preventing overhydrated and potentially goopy soap at the bottom.

I grate two speick sticks (50g) into a container for the house. I'll do two Hasslinger's into mine initially, and maybe just top off one from there as needed.

there's no reason for me to keep buying new containers of a soap if they have replacement pucks. it's cheaper, and more ecologically sound to my mind especially if they come in plastic containers. I don't always like the containers a reordered soap comes in. I have Ikea stainless containers that I specifically load replacements into as common practice.

Last edited:
they tend to be in the ballpark of around 90-120g with some variation in hight vs width/diameter. Hasslinger's are 60g and a smaller diameter.

if you have a container you're happy with, trim/smoosh/grate/thinly slice and then compress the soap into a puck in your container and have a great life.

I grate two speick sticks (50g) into a container for the house. I'll do two Hasslinger's into mine initially, and maybe just top off one from there as needed.

there's no reason for me to keep buying new containers of a soap if they have replacement pucks. it's cheaper, and more ecologically sound to my mind especially if they come in plastic containers. I don't always like the containers a reordered soap comes in. I have Ikea stainless containers that I specifically load replacements into as common practice.
My bowl is also stainless steel. I'm sure it will be a great cream lathering bowl. And yes my wife is adamant about getting me a new shaving soap puck! Kudos to her for doing that!

Jason.

I recommend you pick up some of this from Connaught:
20220316_180835.jpg
20220316_180950.jpg

so, in the for what it's worth catagory, I started with open mugs of my soaps, and a bowl to lather in. I loaded from the mug, then went to the bowl to build the lather. I suspect lathering on the soap would be too thick if you were doing that until now.

I transitioned to lidded containers for my soaps because that created a more stable, less drying atmosphere that kept my primarily tallow based soaps better hydrated, and thus easier to load on a wet brush, without a need to bloom the puck or other overcomplicated water ratio-ing a too dry puck. and with a lid, they stay dust/contaminant clean.

once I started face lathering, the bowls/scuttles went away.

They are all different sizes, usually around 65-90mm diameter and 15-30mm thickness. Some of them are cylindrical shaped, some are rounded on the bottom to fit a custom container.

all of my types of containers, 10-14 yrs old with me. the Williams stick tin is vintage.

3AD3D6FF-6E2D-499D-8DBE-82F2C615D85A_1_201_a.jpeg

and the name/model of the Ikeas. they're stackable and the magnet works like a charm. I've had those stay in place hanging upside down in a camper for thousands of miles to include dirt/gravel/washboard roads without falling. and there's a sticky'd thread or wiki here of printer files of soap labels to place in the inner lid to fancy them up if you want. they're quite bulletproof and they come in a 6 pack. they're often (primary design?) used in the kitchen

D42957A0-6B21-43D2-92DD-5A1DCB0D8AF1_1_201_a.jpeg

just a little something something to look at for options. 1 cup anchor glass bowls with plastic lids (4-6 pack?) have been popular too.

One thing you can do is take a puck of soap and grate it using a cheese grater. Then press the crumbs into the container of your choice. It might not look as pretty as an original puck, but one advantage of this method is that it may lather more quickly.

and when I grate a hard soap I'll stick it in the freezer to chill. they crumble/grate easier and don't heat up as fast. there's enough friction while grating that often the soap will get warm enough to smear on the grater. back in the freezer it goes at that point. I'm not looking to freeze the puck, but I'm not going to work it so hot that I ruin it protentially. I just take my time and the clean up is easier that way too.

Sounds like you got your answer. I say no also.
I've grated a lot of soap. The wife bought me my own grater for this as she hated me using hers. I've also melted in a microwave Mama bears soaps. glycerine type. You lose some scent and don't melt it completely, just enough to reshape.

Still, the anser is no.

Good evening all.

My Amazon shaving soap got ruined today because during the bathroom renovation works I forgot to remove it and it got covered in brick dust! I had to take the soap out and put it in the bin. However the metal bowl it came in is still in perfect condition and it has gone in the dishwasher for cleaning. In the meantime I'll use it as a lathering bowl for my creams. Don't worry my Sledgehammer, my Schick Stick Injector, my Slim and my Micromatic (and my brush and blades) are well out of harm's way! My Gillette Fusion razor also got covered in dust! (Don't laugh!)

Back to the point of this post. Are shaving soap 'pucks' universally sized? Im asking because my wife is very keen to get me a replacement! How kind of her is that!

Jason.
Typically, someone on Amazon will have already asked for the size. If not, ask.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
No, but you can make it fit, if it is too small you can smash it into the bowl, if it is too big you can grate it into the bowl.
Or you can get a selection of bowls of different sizes for different size soaps, charity shops can be your friend, I always keep my eye out.

They would be way too easy. Every maker does there own thing. ‘Luckily’ most are happy to sell you a matching bowl that’s the perfect fit for their puck.

I have a blue ceramic dish that came with my first puck back in 2002/3. Every puck that I have looked at since publishes their dimensions, so I only buy those that fit the dish, which is 80x40mm. Problem solved.

Top Bottom