What's new

are razorock "aggressive" razors overrated

First of all, the ''aggressiveness'' of a razor is relative to some degree for pretty much everyone. Second, because of what I previously said, the chart is more of a representation of all the razors they have to give the average shaver some idea about their razors and help him a little bit with his choice.

The reason why many manufacturers rarely make extremely ''aggressive'' razors, is because the market for such razors is very small and most folks prefer razors that range from mild to upper mid efficient, but still comfortable razors and making and extremely efficient razor without turning it into a torture device is not an easy task.

Of course, I can't speak for absolutely every razor made by Razorock, but the GC .84p and Lupo DC I own are very good razors with good amount of efficiency and more than enough for every day use as well as for once in a while. I kinda wish the Lupo sb version had a smooth bar instead of the ''scalloped'' looking one, but it is what it is.

Indeed. The Ikon Tech or Tek, as it's also known, is the most aggressive non-adjustable razor I own. The Futur matches it for aggression.
I actually shaved with a Tek today, and it was terrible. I don’t know if I had a dull blade, or if I forgot how to use it, or what, but it just wasn’t cutting. After 2 unsuccessful passes I had to finish it off with another razor just to feel accomplished in some fashion. I want to try again maybe with a new blade, but I’m pretty disappointed. I used to use a Tek all the time and got some really close shaves, but tonight was not my night.

I think their chart is BS having tried many a RR razors. For example they got the Lupo .95 as their second most aggressive razor, being more aggressive than the .84 Jaws. But in my experience the Lupo is very close to the .84 SB having little blade feel and being not that efficient. The .84 Jaws on the other hand has some blade feel and is plenty efficient. The Mentor being med-aggressive? This thing's got neutral or negative blade exposure and needs you to go over the same spot again and again to give a half-decent result and is definitely not more aggressive than the .84 OC. Now about the Ikon Tech it's not crazy aggressive. The .84 Jaws you are used to is way smoother so that's probably why you are put off by the Tech. With proper angle and a light touch it can give amazingly close shaves.

View attachment 1509416
I'm going to second this. Having both the Mission and the SLOC, I can say from experience (and you'll find many a user to back this up) that the SLOC is extremely mild. I can also say from experience that the Mission absolutely isn't. At the very least, those two should be swapped on this list.

At this point, I do not trust anything I read on the chart, unless it has been backed up by honest reviews from folks like you.

I think their chart is BS having tried many a RR razors. For example they got the Lupo .95 as their second most aggressive razor, being more aggressive than the .84 Jaws. But in my experience the Lupo is very close to the .84 SB having little blade feel and being not that efficient. The .84 Jaws on the other hand has some blade feel and is plenty efficient. The Mentor being med-aggressive? This thing's got neutral or negative blade exposure and needs you to go over the same spot again and again to give a half-decent result and is definitely not more aggressive than the .84 OC. Now about the Ikon Tech it's not crazy aggressive. The .84 Jaws you are used to is way smoother so that's probably why you are put off by the Tech. With proper angle and a light touch it can give amazingly close shaves.

View attachment 1509416
I too disagree with the chart.
But the Mentor I received a couple of months ago has positive exposure. Slightly aggressive. Obviously they changed the head.

Top Bottom