What's new

are razorock "aggressive" razors overrated

when it comes to their aggressiveness? reason why I asked is because I look at the razorock chart and it says the lupo 0.95 open comb is their most aggressive razor. To me, the most aggressive razorock razor to me that I own is the jaws. does anyone else think razorock's aggressiveness chart is off the mark or do you agree with it? I know everyone is different and feel that some razors are more or less aggressive than others. also, has anyone tried the ikon shavecraft tech? this razor is CRAZY AGGRESSIVE and very harsh ESPECIALLY ATG. none of the razorock razors even comes to close to being as aggressive as the ikon shavecraft tech.

Well, given it is their chart and their razors, it is hard to disagree with...

What I mean is they obviously designed those razors to that hierarchy of aggressiveness, how they are interpreted by the people who shave with them is a completely different question.

I have a Wunderbar and love it. I don't find it that aggressive, though, just marvellously efficient.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I think their razor capable of smoothly amputating the nose is the Wunderbar. It's smooth shaving, but had high injury potential.
The JAWS might be their harshest plate.
The Lupo .95 OC can bite of one is careless, but there are definitely worse razors out there.
Just mentioned in another thread that RazoRock doesn't have released a true monster so far.
I do not like the BBS AS. The little extra step makes it nasty while it doesn't get much more efficient than the A plate.

The scale is in general still okay. A major problem is comparing the game changer and lupo characteristics.

Today I read a report that the GC .68 OC was too harsh. I bet the very same person would get better along with the Lupo .95 OC or the .95SB/.72OC sides of the Lupo DC. Which ironically are quite similar in results.

I guess truly aggressive razors biting customers aren't good for business. 😎

I love my Wunderbar, and I like aggressive razors, but... I mentioned elsewhere, RR has excellent designs & finish, but overall, just don't click with me. I have the Jaws and it just isn't worth the time for me to learn its handling to finish with a bloodless shave. My Famex, Le Coc OC, RX, sure, I'll spend a few days. I have no idea why...?

Mmm... That's interesting..! @Happy Jack 😍

Then what's your efficient razor if i may know..? 😊🤔
My Ikon B1 Standard is perfect for the final pass for me. BBS every time. It's significantly more efficient than the Wunderbar or R41. More aggressive still are the Merkur Futur (depending on the setting, of course) and the Ikon Tek. The Tek is possibly more aggressive than I need although, with an aluminium handle, it's an absolute joy to use. The Futur is just too big and unwieldy to enjoy.

I think the term "aggressive" is mis/abused a lot. The very least people mean different things by it.
I took out the R41 this morning:
- is it more efficient than the Wunderbar? maybe by a hair, after 3 passes it is negligible.
- is it comfortable? it is way less comfortable because of blade chatter. after a couple of strokes I checked that the handle was tightened (it was).
- will it hurt you?: if you are not careful, yes. I have to say, because of the chatter of the R41, you are reminded to tiptoe so you won't nick yourself by accident. whereas the Wunderbar is smooth, so you can get carried away. You might get post shave irritation, even if you didn't nick yourself.
so which one is more aggressive? depends on your definition.

My Ikon B1 Standard is perfect for the final pass for me. BBS every time. It's significantly more efficient than the Wunderbar or R41. More aggressive still are the Merkur Futur (depending on the setting, of course) and the Ikon Tek. The Tek is possibly more aggressive than I need although, with an aluminium handle, it's an absolute joy to use. The Futur is just too big and unwieldy to enjoy.
I appreciate the fast response @Happy Jack ..🌹🙏🏼🌹

And i believe we have the same hair/skin type 😍 and preferences!

And i guess I'm very late but my Ikon B1 Standard is on the way.. Maybe it will be the best DE and dethrone the R41...

And i totally agree on the Futur.

To me the Tek is aggressive but not more efficient than the others! So I believe the B1 Standard will be the perfect tool (as a DE).

Still I get best shaves with my SE's thou..

Thanks again.. 🌹👍🏼🌹

And i guess I'm very late but my Ikon B1 Standard is on the way.. Maybe it will be the best DE and dethrone the R41...

And i totally agree on the Futur.

To me the Tek is aggressive but not more efficient than the others! So I believe the B1 Standard will be the perfect tool (as a DE).

Still I get best shaves with my SE's thou..

Thanks again.. 🌹👍🏼🌹
You're welcome. I hope you like your B1 Standard as much as I've enjoyed mine; I'm sure you'll share your experiences with it. The only thing I'm not so keen on is the look of the black coating. I pair mine with a black Parker 26C handle or a black RR Lupo Aluminium handle and they go together nicely.

20220427_160635.jpgParker.jpg

You're welcome. I hope you like your B1 Standard as much as I've enjoyed mine; I'm sure you'll share your experiences with it. The only thing I'm not so keen on is the look of the black coating. I pair mine with a black Parker 26C handle or a black RR Lupo Aluminium handle and they go together nicely.

View attachment 1509290View attachment 1509298
Appreciated 🙏🏼..
Absolutely will share my experience 👌🏼..
Honestly that's why it took me forever to buy the B1 due to the coating!
And i already bought few Maggard black handles too 🥰

Will update you soon 👍🏼

I think their chart is BS having tried many a RR razors. For example they got the Lupo .95 as their second most aggressive razor, being more aggressive than the .84 Jaws. But in my experience the Lupo is very close to the .84 SB having little blade feel and being not that efficient. The .84 Jaws on the other hand has some blade feel and is plenty efficient. The Mentor being med-aggressive? This thing's got neutral or negative blade exposure and needs you to go over the same spot again and again to give a half-decent result and is definitely not more aggressive than the .84 OC. Now about the Ikon Tech it's not crazy aggressive. The .84 Jaws you are used to is way smoother so that's probably why you are put off by the Tech. With proper angle and a light touch it can give amazingly close shaves.

1661178161968.png

I agree with @silverlifter that the RazoRock chart represents how aggressive they believe their razors to be, or how aggressive they were designed to be. The problem, of course, is that we don't have an objective way of measuring aggressiveness. In fact, we don't even have a good definition of the term. Personally, I separate aggressiveness and efficiency. For me, the measure of aggressiveness is how smoothly and comfortably the razor glides on my skin, and whether it causes any cuts, nicks or irritation. I don't think that is what the RazoRock chart purports to show. I think that they are rating the efficiency of their razors. In that regard, I agree with RazoRock that the Lupo .95 OC is remarkably efficient. (Using my definition above, I do not find it to be aggressive at all.) Is it more efficient than all of the other RazoRock offerings? I can only speak for a few of them: GameChanger .84 and .84 OC, Hawk, Hawk OC, Hawk Aluminum, and Old Type. For me the Lupo .95OC is more efficient than any of those razors.

Last edited:
While I do actually love my aggressive RR razors, I do think they're overrated. The .68 is a much better gap in every razor they make. The Mamba 70 is also nice but the other Mamba is milder so that's not a great example. The Hawks are all great too but My favorite is the mid tier OC stainless and the original aluminum V2. When I want a really aggressive shave, I reach for something stupid like the Yaqi Helmet. When I want a comfortably aggressive shave, I reach for the Timeless .95 OC or my Maggard V3 (to me they are the same razor.)

Top Bottom