What's new

Are Personna/Gem Stainless Blades Coated or Not?

Having just acquired a NOS Gem Feather Weight SE razor, I read a lot of discussions about whether the Personna/Gem 10-pack blades sold at Walgreen's are coated or not, as compared to the PTFE coated Pella blades. The package says nothing about it, so I searched for some written information about whether the Walgreen's 10-pack is coated. Well, I finally found a written source: the West Coast Shaving site description, which says the following:
"DESCRIPTION
GEM by Personna single edge blades are made from high quality coated stainless steel. Used in single edge GEM style razors. Packaged in a convenient holder which includes a used blade vault.
10 blades per pack.
Made in the USA."

I couldn't find any other written source on this, including the package itself or the personna.com website.

This came up a couple of years ago on another forum. Someone contacted American Safety Razor and received a reply confirming that the Personna blades are indeed coated, despite its not being explicitly stated on the packaging.

Unfortunately I don't recall exactly which forum or what thread and it may well have been in a forum that is now defunct.

--Bob

I believe if the blades were coated it would be mentioned on the factory package for obvious reasons. "Coated" is positive advertising to the general public and to most serious shavers. And positive advertising in theory generates sales. And increased sales is what it's all about. Ask any company.

Reminds me of salmon on a restaurant menu. If it is wild salmon the menu will say so. If it is farm raised, silence.

As with anything Personna, there is much confusion about these blades. Part of the problem is that Personna makes both coated and uncoated SE blades. Some of the packages state specifically that they are coated. The blades sold at Walgreens are silent about this subject and I have heard both diverse opinions about whether they are coated. I have never seen anything from Personna either way although I have heard that others "said" they contacted Personna.
Razor Blade Company. Single Edge Blades.png

I think I remember hearing that CVS also sold SE blades. Maybe they carry the coated ones (Ie: marked "coated").
The CVS house brand blades are carbon steel and are definitely not coated with anything. They (and any carbon steel blades) must be removed from the razor immediately after shaving and dried, otherwise they will rust.

It is truly amazing how fast they rust.

--Bob

Must . . . Have . . . More . . . Razors

When pans tend to rust (cast iron or carbon steel), you can sometimes avoid it with a light coating of oil. I wonder if that would work for blades (i.e. something like a miniscule amount of mineral oil rubbed on a dry blade).

Yes, they are coated. Stainless steel blades have to be or their metallurgy makes them almost unusable for shaving. There's a bit of history here....

Stainless steel has been around a long time, but stainless steel razor blades have only been around since 1963 (at least in commercial quantities) when Wilkinson Sword shook up the industry by offering them. Although they were known to be corrosion resistant, before the Wilkinson Sword blades came along in 1963, stainless steel blades didn't hold an edge

Carbon steel was the industry standard until 1963. It didn't last as long or provide as good rust-prevention as stainless, but it held an edge well. Stainless steel prevents rust and therefore lasts a long time, but researchers couldn't make it hold its edge on razor blades until the 1960s.

The critical development was a silicone (or other) coating. Researchers long knew that stainless steel (as opposed to carbon steel) had "large carbides" that would break off a razor edge with use, leaving an edge rough. By coating the stainless steel edge, a stainless blade would have the best of both worlds: long rust-free life AND smoothness.

Ironically, it was Gillette who pioneered and patented the use of a blade coating, but they were beaten to the market for a stainless steel blade by Wilkinson Sword of England. Gillette applied a silicone coating first to its carbon steel blade, the Gillette Super Blue Blade in 1961. Then when Wilkinson Sword splashed the market with its new stainless steel blade in 1963, Gillette was caught off guard. But Wilkinson had to pay a royalty to Gillette for every blade sold because of the coating patent. Then later that year, Gillette came out with its own stainless blade.

So now virtually all stainless blades are coated with something. Most brag about it in detail on the packaging. But all stainless blades have to be coated with something or they don't work. They just aren't very useful uncoated, a fact known by researchers for over 50 years.

When pans tend to rust (cast iron or carbon steel), you can sometimes avoid it with a light coating of oil. I wonder if that would work for blades (i.e. something like a miniscule amount of mineral oil rubbed on a dry blade).

Yes. When I use a carbon blade I put a drop of oil on my fingers and coat the edge. Edge seems to hold up better than when I just dry the blade.

Komboloi, very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

But coated with what? Can a generic ss blade have the coating you describe as part of the manufacturing process of all ss blades, but also have an additional special coating unique to the brand? Maybe chromium/ceramic/PTFE? I think I've seen that on certain brands and packaging.

I cannot speak to metallurgy, but I own both the Pella PTFE blades as well as the Persona Gem blades. I started with the Persona and then went on to purchase the Pella out of concern that maybe, just maybe, the Persona blades were not coated and that I might be able to get a better shave from the Pella. On my face anyway, the blades are indistinguishable. Love 'em both.

I cannot speak to metallurgy, but I own both the Pella PTFE blades as well as the Persona Gem blades. I started with the Persona and then went on to purchase the Pella out of concern that maybe, just maybe, the Persona blades were not coated and that I might be able to get a better shave from the Pella. On my face anyway, the blades are indistinguishable. Love 'em both.

This has been my experience as well. Personally, I believe them to be the same blade in different packaging but that is just my opinion.

--Bob

If not coated the GEM by Personna SS blades do a damn good job in the right razor. I used one in a very antique Henckels Rapide razor last week and got an outstanding shave from it. I have the Ted Pella PTFE coated SE blades on order too.

I'll keep the confusion going.

With my new found love for the GEM blade, I've been using a pack of GEM blades from Walgreen's and have been getting great shaves. Received my 100 single wrapped coated Personna blades and have been getting the same great shaves as the Walgreen's GEM blades. But the 100 pack seems noticeable smoother to me. I shave my face and head, after using a few from the 100, I was thinking "these can't be the same blades as Walgreen's." I bought 400 Gem blades from England @$.15 per blade shipped, so there's no need to buy from Walgreen's. I think 100 shipped comes to about $.20 per blade.

I'm not saying Walgreen's blades are bad, the single wrapped blades seem to be smoother and more refined.

I've been using the MMOC pretty regularly on my face and head.

IMAG0318.jpg

With my new found love for the GEM blade, I've been using a pack of GEM blades from Walgreen's and have been getting great shaves. Received my 100 single wrapped coated Personna blades and have been getting the same great shaves as the Walgreen's GEM blades. But the 100 pack seems noticeable smoother to me. I shave my face and head, after using a few from the 100, I was thinking "these can't be the same blades as Walgreen's." I bought 400 Gem blades from England @$.15 per blade shipped, so there's no need to buy from Walgreen's. I think 100 shipped comes to about $.20 per blade.

I'm not saying Walgreen's blades are bad, the single wrapped blades seem to be smoother and more refined.

View attachment 802656

Those are identical to the bulk pack SS Gem blades I received from Ted Pella, including model number on the package, and the package says coated. So far as I know ALL stainless steel shaving grade blades are coated as the carbides in stainless steel give a noticeably rough final edge if uncoated. This was the Gillette patent that Wilkinson had to pay royalties to use after they lost a court case for their original stainless steel blades after they were introduced.

Ted Pella is not a manufacturer itself, they are a re-seller of blades for scientific / research purposes. The blades they sell come from Personna but are not packaged for retails sales. The whole reason we still have GEM blades the shave with is their use for industrial purposes.

Myself I like the coated blades and use the same as in the photo just above, although I bought them from a different blade re-seller that is located in the San Fernando Valley.

Ted Pella is not a manufacturer itself, they are a re-seller of blades for scientific / research purposes. The blades they sell come from Personna but are not packaged for retails sales. The whole reason we still have GEM blades the shave with is their use for industrial purposes.

Myself I like the coated blades and use the same as in the photo just above, although I bought them from a different blade re-seller that is located in the San Fernando Valley.

I realize that but they offer a wider variety of Gem type blades than any other sellers I know of. The SS coated blade bulk packs are clearly marked Personna GEM and "Coated". The 10 blade GEM by Personna single edge SS blade packs with the blades in the plastic dispenser no longer mention coating at all though I strongly suspect they are the same coated SS blades.

View attachment 802656
Are the blades in the photo marked as
Coated on the outer package/ box

Top Bottom