What's new

Are Oumo Manchurian knot brushes as good as Simpson manchurian brushes?

Yep, 3-band. Also have an M1 "Major" travel brush in Best, but slightly stiffer, likely because of its 18mm size. My go-to travel brush.

Thanks Scaramouche and SliceofLife. If you found that 2 band is stiffer than 3 band for simpspn, would the same be true if we compare Pumo silvertip 3 band with oumo 2 band manchurian?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Generally with badger, you get a better brush from a more reputed manufacturer such as Simpson or Shavemac, Plisson, Zenith and a few others.
  1. They buy in bulk from the Chinese
  2. They will not take what isn't good and they have the buying power to demand the good.
  3. You are less likely to get a a funky brush that takes more effort than it's worth to defunk
I'd rather have any boar or horse than any badger that is less than about $75

Also as others note, different manufactures have different names for the same fur. It won't be long until there is a superior white high mountain double manchurian angel hair type of fur offered for $8 via Ali Express.

I would suggest saving until you can buy up in the market a bit and get one of the ones that gets good reviews and a lot of them from guys that have been on the forum a long time.

Generally with badger, you get a better brush from a more reputed manufacturer such as Simpson or Shavemac, Plisson, Zenith and a few others.
  2. They will not take what isn't good and they have the buying power to demand the good.
  3. You are less likely to get a a funky brush that takes more effort than it's worth to defunk

Also as others note, different manufactures have different names for the same fur. It won't be long until there is a superior white high mountain double manchurian angel hair type of fur offered for $8 via Ali Express.

I would suggest saving until you can buy up in the market a bit and get one of the ones that gets good reviews and a lot of them from guys that have been on the forum a long time.

Thanks for your tip. I got myself a nice silvertip from a shaving shop that is light years better than the parker brush I had been using for many years so I know what you mean about trusting in the professionals. Unfortunately I dont think the BST Awill be a viable option for me for brushes aa I live outside the States and I believe the need for an export permit etc for sending badger brushes out of the states will make that a non starter.

I have ordered a manchurian brush from oumo as an experiment to see how that goes. Hopefully I will be able to add to the chorus of approval I have been reading on the forums about their brushes and knots.

I just got my oumo manchurian shd brush and tried it out yesterday. Totally zero animal funk smell even before washing. It certainly has more firmness than the silvertip 3 band brush that I usually use but that may be because its considerably greater density of hair in the knot. It Is so wide at the neck I cannot fit it into my existing stands. It is still has a soft feeling and is not scratchy at all. The resin handle has a colourful swirl to it.I like it very much and it was a good value buy.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I am a big Simpson’s fan, however I would rank Manchurian below Super. Honestly I have felt better 2 Band hair before. I sold my 2 prior Simpson’s in Manchurian, an M6 LE and a Chubby 2. I am waiting for a “SiLVERTiP” order currently and am hoping I prefer it.

My experience with Simpson’s Manchurian is that it feels very similar to many other knots. The Paladin/Lee Sabini knot was very similar and I sold that too. Also very similar to my Thater LE Beehive - Quite dense and scrubby. It’s a good performer that will lather anything, but it doesn’t have my favorite face feel. I prefer softer tipped brushes than what I’ve experienced with Simpson’s Manchurian. Elite Manchurian and the current Paladin Select Badger both are better options for me.

I just got my oumo manchurian shd brush and tried it out yesterday. Totally zero animal funk smell even before washing. It certainly has more firmness than the silvertip 3 band brush that I usually use but that may be because its considerably greater density of hair in the knot. It Is so wide at the neck I cannot fit it into my existing stands. It is still has a soft feeling and is not scratchy at all. The resin handle has a colourful swirl to it.I like it very much and it was a good value buy.
Great news and congrats! Hope you will enjoy the brush. I ordered from Oumo too back in late April and it is still somewhere in the air trying to reach me. I like to ask you how long did it take for your brush from Oumo to arrive? I am guessing you ordered through Aliexpress?
Thanks!

Great news and congrats! Hope you will enjoy the brush. I ordered from Oumo too back in late April and it is still somewhere in the air trying to reach me. I like to ask you how long did it take for your brush from Oumo to arrive? I am guessing you ordered through Aliexpress?
Thanks!

It may take you longer as I dont live in USA.

It took them some time to make the brush and then after they shipped it it seemed to sit in a depot in China for a long time before suddenly and unexpectedly arriving a couple of days ago. I would say it took something like three weeks.

Thanks for your reply.
That's exactly what happened too. They took 2 weeks to make after I ordered and then only ship in mid-May. I sure hope it can arrive suddenly & unexpectedly too.

I am from Malaysia too by the way...hahahahaha. We could be sharing more info so can help each other in buying and reviewing shave gears.
Best regards..

Hey Chard52142
Good to see a fellow Malaysian here. Which brush have you ordered- the manchurian or the silvertip? If it is like mine, it should be excellent. Hae you been bringing in your razors and shavig supplies from abroad or from.q local shop?

Thanks for your reply.
That's exactly what happened too. They took 2 weeks to make after I ordered and then only ship in mid-May. I sure hope it can arrive suddenly & unexpectedly too.

I am from Malaysia too by the way...hahahahaha. We could be sharing more info so can help each other in buying and reviewing shave gears.
Best regards..

This one...name is so long I dunno how to call it.
OUMO-BRUSH-big-handle-Art-shaving-brush-bulb-SHD-Manchuria-badger
1594192710746.png

I get my supplies from all over I guess. Locally I can find DE blades really cheap like all Supermax, Treet, SilverStar Wlikinson Sword, Sharks, Gillette 7O'clock green and platinum black and Astra SP & SS. I also will get blades from ebay and shopee. Today just received 100 Tatra Platinum and 50 Wizamet Super Iridium. Also bought blades when travel.

Soaps/creams from US, UK, Spain and Shopee
Vintage razors from US, EU and Ebay
Modern razors from UK, Aliexpress and Spain
Lather bowls from US and Turkey
Brushes all from Aliexpress...LOL!
Aftershaves from UK and Shopee
I better stop...hahahaha..

Italian Brothers refunded an order made 2 months ago due to shipping restriction....sad
Nice to meet and chat with a fellow Malaysian too!
Do keep in touch..

This one...name is so long I dunno how to call it.
OUMO-BRUSH-big-handle-Art-shaving-brush-bulb-SHD-Manchuria-badger
View attachment 1123006

I get my supplies from all over I guess. Locally I can find DE blades really cheap like all Supermax, Treet, SilverStar Wlikinson Sword, Sharks, Gillette 7O'clock green and platinum black and Astra SP & SS. I also will get blades from ebay and shopee. Today just received 100 Tatra Platinum and 50 Wizamet Super Iridium. Also bought blades when travel.

Soaps/creams from US, UK, Spain and Shopee
Vintage razors from US, EU and Ebay
Modern razors from UK, Aliexpress and Spain
Lather bowls from US and Turkey
Brushes all from Aliexpress...LOL!
Aftershaves from UK and Shopee
I better stop...hahahaha..

Italian Brothers refunded an order made 2 months ago due to shipping restriction....sad
Nice to meet and chat with a fellow Malaysian too!
Do keep in touch..

Lol you have been busy! I have been meaming to try wizamet blades - will look to get some in.

Hey...if you are interested to try, I can send 2 blades for you to try out first...I have Polsilvers too..

No worries about that - I am still working my way through heaps of new brands of blades that I am trying out which also include polsilver super iridiums. I am so far finding Bolzano and Shark blades from.the new batch among my favourites.

+1! Great advice!

The ‘high-end’ manufacturers are revered here on B&B because they provide (generally) superior products! :a29: :a29:

Expect variability as there no way to guarantee consistency when you start with something like badger hair.

I am a big Simpson’s fan, however I would rank Manchurian below Super. Honestly I have felt better 2 Band hair before. I sold my 2 prior Simpson’s in Manchurian, an M6 LE and a Chubby 2. I am waiting for a “SiLVERTiP” order currently and am hoping I prefer it.

My experience with Simpson’s Manchurian is that it feels very similar to many other knots. The Paladin/Lee Sabini knot was very similar and I sold that too. Also very similar to my Thater LE Beehive - Quite dense and scrubby. It’s a good performer that will lather anything, but it doesn’t have my favorite face feel. I prefer softer tipped brushes than what I’ve experienced with Simpson’s Manchurian. Elite Manchurian and the current Paladin Select Badger both are better options for me.

The oumo manchurian brush that I bought is very dense and very soft feeling on the face. It came very clean and without any funky smell at all. I still put it through the same multiple cleaner regimen anyway of course.

I have not tried a simpson brush etc before but this oumo brush would take some beating!

For me, the Oumo hair can by far not keep up with a Simpson Manchurian.
I have some Oumos, Manchurian, SHD 2-Band and SHD Hooked 2-Band and all of them don't come anywhere near a Simpson.
The Simpson Manchurian has qualitatively much better hair, it has more overall strength, the much better flow and also the tips are much higher quality and naturally soft.
I have often compared these two hair types and have always come to the same conclusion.
I have several different Simpson Manchurian brushes with different knot sizes and they all feel better than an Oumo brush.

I've tried a couple SHD and Manchurian knots from Oumo/Maggard/etc. They're very soft. Very very soft. Too soft in my opinion. You almost can't feel them at all when face lathering... it's like rubbing a very soft towel on your face, not a knot of hair. I have not tried a Simpson Manchurian that I can remember, but I've had other Simpson two band, and while it's nice soft hair... it hasn't been treated until all character is gone the way a lot of these "gel tip" knots have been.

Some people love that ultra-soft feel. I don't. I keep a couple vintages with old Golden European badger hair because it's NATURALLY that soft and I find them quite unique and fun to use on occasion... but as a daily brush, not for me.

I want to know there's a brush lathering when I'm lathering. I also find less-treated badger knots load and lather better. Because of that, the only knots I've gotten and kept from this current generation of Chinese knots (Oumo, APshave, Maggard, etc) are the mixed knots... where the boar makes up for what is lost from the badger hair treatments.

The less treated two band badger hairs (basically anything more than a few years old, and I would assume current brushes from most of the older manufacturers who make their own knots (Simpson, Semogue, Plisson, etc)... are a very different hair than the current "Manchurian" from the chinese knot makers that has been softened up at the tips to such an extreme degree. At least I hope so. I'd be very depressed if the two bands that are actually stiff all the way to the tips and really exemplify what made two band such a nice hair are gone because this current "gel tip" craze has made the Chinese hair producers treat all two band badger hair to such an extreme degree.

I fully expect (and hope) the next revolution in Chinese knots will be to offer a more "natural" knot that goes back to what two band was a decade ago, where it isn't as soft as three band... because it's not three band, but it offers much more backbone, better loading and lathering, and a pleasant scrub that lets you know this isn't some ultra-premium silvertip knot where the only concern was softness.
I have a Zenith Manchurian and Simpson’s Cubby 2 Super, Simpson’s Duke 3 best,
My Zenith Manchurian is Scrubby and feels great, my Duke is a little softer but still good feel, the Simpson’s Super is the softest and even though it was my first Simpson it gets used the least.

Top Bottom