What's new

Are Omega Synthetic knots all the same fiber?

As always, Omega's web site is pretty useless... no knot specs or dimensions and only cursory information on the fibers.

Have any on you used all three bristle variants of Hi, Black Hi and S-Brush? It's implied they are all made of the same fiber material and share the same features, perhaps with only cosmetic differences, but I've only used the Black Hi-Brush so far. Also, are all/most of the brushes lofted the same?

TIA!

I know the disappointment about the lack of info on the Omega page, I mainly have visited the Maggards shop to verify info about sizes, knots, etc. for the boars.

About the fibers, IMO the fibers are slightly different, the S-brush feels with more of a backbone, and the Black Hi-Brush gave me better results for face lathering than the Hi brush. The brushes that I have are the S1005, 0146745 & 0196745 that are the cheapest models, but I don´t believe that the more expensive models gave better results.

Finally, I found more gratifying buying a Muhle STF or a Simpson Trafalgar, but again, I am a face latherer mainly.

Cheers

thanks for the reply!

I only have the black Hi-Brush so far. Compared to all the other synthetics I've tried it's the one with the most "scrub" to it, which is a feature that I value in a brush (also a face latherer), so far all the other makers' bristles have had tips that are just too soft for my taste.

I tried S brush, Hi Brush and Black Hi brush.
The s brush has a lot of backbone and a lot of scrub but feel springy, the new Hi brushes have very soft tips, the old ones were stiffer, the black hi brushes have a lot of scrub and a good backbone.

thanks for the reply!

I only have the black Hi-Brush so far. Compared to all the other synthetics I've tried it's the one with the most "scrub" to it, which is a feature that I value in a brush (also a face latherer), so far all the other makers' bristles have had tips that are just too soft for my taste.

I own two recent Edwin Jagger Silvertip Fiber brushes and they are both scrubby. I don't like scrub so I use them once a week but I find splay, density and backbone perfect for me.

I own two recent Edwin Jagger Silvertip Fiber brushes and they are both scrubby. I don't like scrub so I use them once a week but I find splay, density and backbone perfect for me.

Interesting... what would you compare the density and scrub levels of those EJ brushes to?

I hope not - I paid $65 for an EVO.

This was only meant to address the S-Brush and Hi-Brush variants, which are all sharing the same general description of the bristle technology used, on Omega's web site. My understanding is that the EVO is a whole different design and technology.

@awa54

I have EJ in M, L and XL size, they seem quite dense, more than Omega and the scrub does not cause me burns on face, instead the Black Hi brush did. The XL is very dense and has lot of backbone. As soon as I can I take a comparative picture with Hi Brush.

it seem like the Omega synthetic bristle brushes got a major revision recently, but the names of the lines stayed the same... I can't imagine anyone getting brush burn from the bristle in my newly purchased Black Hi-Brush, but quite a few (not just in this forum/thread) are reporting that level of harshness.

I wish the EJ brushes were a little less expensive, as I'd like to try one. Maybe I can work a trade for one of my Simpson Platinum fiber brushes, they're way too soft for my taste, despite having nice firm face feel.

it seem like the Omega synthetic bristle brushes got a major revision recently, but the names of the lines stayed the same... I can't imagine anyone getting brush burn from the bristle in my newly purchased Black Hi-Brush, but quite a few (not just in this forum/thread) are reporting that level of harshness.

I wish the EJ brushes were a little less expensive, as I'd like to try one. Maybe I can work a trade for one of my Simpson Platinum fiber brushes, they're way too soft for my taste, despite having nice firm face feel.

I would gladly trade but I'm in Italy! It would cost more shipping than the brush!

@awa54

EJ M 21mm EJ XL 25mm Omega Hi 23/24mm

IMG_20210320_224809.jpg

EJ XL and Omega Hi

IMG_20210320_224615.jpg

Top Bottom