What's new

Are North American Badgers really that inferior to Chinese . . .?

I read somewhere that brushes are not made from the hair of North American badgers because the hair is considered inferior to those from China . . . Why couldn't a brush be made in America from American products (badger hair, wood for handle . . .)? Are there any brush-makers in America doing this?

~Tim :cool:

mrob said:
I think they are different animals, at least different species?

They are obviously different animals (different species but from the same subfamily). See the following for more info:

Animal Diversity Web (ADW) said:
It has been used as a trim on many Native American garments, and historically it was used to make shaving brushes
apparently the american badger hair has been used to make shaving brushes in the past, but I don't know why it is no longer used.

We need some adventurous forum member to get to the bottom of this. I nominate Kyle.

Kyle, all you need to do is catch one of these ferocious little bastards, make a brush out of his hair (not from the anus region), lather and report back.

All in favor...

According to the webpage, the American Badger's hair was once used in shaving brushes!

Maybe it's time we take another look at the little buggers!

~Tim :rolleyes:

So Chinese badgers are doing the jobs American badgers won't do?

And may I introduce a rather ugly question? I've heard that badger hair is used due to its great water retention properties. I've read that sea otter hair retains more water than any other animal's. So I've often wondered, why don't they make brushes out of otter hair?

(Please note that sea otters are probably my favorite animal. I fell in love with them at the Monterey Bay Aquarium many years ago. I don't want to see an otter-harvesting industry crop up along the Pacific Coast. Still, I'm sure some people think badgers are cute too... especially when they're not lunging for your throat.)

No idea about the real statistics but isn't the American badger becoming an endangered species? Again, just a guess.

Apparently it has: http://tinyurl.com/qslek

proxy.php

Cute lil' sucker, ain't he (or she)?
~Tim :cool:

Ashe said:
No idea about the real statistics but isn't the American badger becoming an endangered species? Again, just a guess.

Thanks for the research and confirming my assumptions Tim!

I guess we can sort of conclude that that is the reason why brushes use non American badger hair.

Hey guys, not rain on anyone's parade but you'll find that the badger referred to in that link is a subset of American badger. The common badger found in the lower 48 states is available in abundance. If you have a fur harvesters license in my home state, there is an unlimited bag limit on them during the season from November to January. They are not endangered in the slightest. I will tell you though, I'd rather go hand to hand with a pit bull than a badger! I've seen and hunted these things. They're fearless when cornered and they look at you like you owe them money.

Regards, Todd

inkling said:
So Chinese badgers are doing the jobs American badgers won't do?...

Or is it that the Chinese hunters/trappers are doing jobs that their North American counterparts aren't willing to do?

Really, the only job for the badger (whether of the American or Eurasian variety) is to get trapped and killed... and I doubt that either would be willing to sign up for that. :001_smile

inkling said:
So Chinese badgers are doing the jobs American badgers won't do?

And may I introduce a rather ugly question? I've heard that badger hair is used due to its great water retention properties. I've read that sea otter hair retains more water than any other animal's. So I've often wondered, why don't they make brushes out of otter hair?

The outer fur of otters is designed to shed water, forming a barrier between the water and the air trapped between the outer and inner furs. No retension properties at all.

Also Sea Otters are afforded protection under the Marine Mammal Protection Act and the United States Endangered species act in the U.S. Unfortunately, no such protection exists in Canada.

Agent86 said:
We need some adventurous forum member to get to the bottom of this. I nominate Kyle.

Kyle, all you need to do is catch one of these ferocious little bastards, make a brush out of his hair (not from the anus region), lather and report back.

All in favor...
Believe it or not, Joel, Austin, Nick, and I have done some very extensive research on this topic and have even had some American Badger brushes made. In our study, we procured a goodly sample of American Badger hair (actually bought 8 pelts). These pelts were then shipped to Bernd at Shavemac. Bernd took our American Badger hair and his own stock of Chinese Badger hair and he made us all identical brushes from each. When all was said and done, we each had 2 23mm brushes made from Silvertip grade hair and 2 26mm brushes made from the Finest graded hair.

At this point, we went through extensive measurement and testing. After about a month of in depth research, we found that while the American Badger hair was not as attractive (tips were not truly white and the shafts weren't fully uniform in appearance), but the hairs were actually somewhat thicker and caused the brush to have a water holding capacity of at least 1 teaspoon more (average) than their Chinese counterparts.

Ultimately, the factors that prevent American Badger from being more commonly used boil down to:
  • American Badger is considerably more expensive to obtain (we're guessing that the primary reason is because of the American badger trapping unions and the battles that they have won in relation to higher wages and shorter work days).
  • While being raised, Chinese Badgers are taught that their primary purpose in life is to become a shaving brush so they don't put up much of a fight when the trappers appear.
  • Quality American Badger hair is becoming more and more difficult to find. Most young badgers live sedentary life styles and have poor diets. This causes the hair to look over-conditioned and chemically damaged, much like that of and '80's rockstar.
If there is any doubt at this point, this whole post is, of course, a fabrication.:biggrin:

Kyle said:
...If there is any doubt at this point, this whole post is, of course, a fabrication.:biggrin:...

But a well told story! Kyle, you put forth so much effort in everything that you do...even when it is just for a lark.

Creslin said:
The outer fur of otters is designed to shed water, forming a barrier between the water and the air trapped between the outer and inner furs. No retension properties at all.
Well, that changes everything, doesn't it? I obviously wasn't paying enough attention at the aquarium. I better call off my WTB for a Vulfix #2233 Super Otter! :bored:

Top Bottom