What's new

Are non-collar pinned SRs ever done without internal washers?

Wondering, because every time I free the blades of 2 of my Heljestrand 7-day set, there is a creaky sound only one small spot, earlier in the process. The scales being tortoise, I can't really see through them clearly even with a flashlight because the scales are darker, and the other end has the white of the ivory wedge obstruct visibility.

I was also thinking it might be a tiny bit of oxidation on a washer instead, but as far as I can think internal washers don't budge at all-right? Just the tiny bit needed to pivot, perhaps, and that's it.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I've had a couple of ivory razors without.

Yep me too, more than a couple.

Just to clarify, rust in the pivot is caused by getting water in the pivot and not getting it out after shaving. The razor tang is rusting, not the pins or washers which are usually brass or nickel silver. If you get water into the pivot and don’t get it out, washers don’t matter, eventually the soap residue holding moisture will cause bad things to happen.

Flush out the pin with WD40, it is just mineral oil and solvents, will not harm Tortoise or Ivory. Wick out the gunk and excess oil with a paper towel and or strips of copy paper.

Keep spraying and flushing the pivot until the oil comes out clean. A wooden coffee stir stick wrapped with a paper towel will clean and dry between the scales nicely.

BTW I clean all razors that come through the shop by first hosing them down with WD40 and scrubbing between the scales with the coffee stir stick and paper towel.

Never had a problem with any scale material. Cleans them up quick and nicely, cuts through years of soap scum in seconds.

Thanks all.

With them being so rare, I'm hesitant of letting any chemicals touch them, but if experience (and basic chemistry) says WD40 is fine, that's great!

I should have said rust by the pivots huh haha, I always forget the rust just deposits around thrm, not on them, having not fixed up any of my own. 🙂

Legion

Staff member
I am a little hesitant about the Wd40. It is a lot of stoddard solvent. It might be ok, but if it were my nice tortoise scales, nup. I don’t know for sure that it would damage, but I personally wouldn’t give it the benefit of doubt. Ymmv.

I don't think I'd use WD on tortoise or ivory...I've seen it stain things.
I have had razors with no outside washers that had thrust washers inside. Had them without inner washers also.
Same for razors with outside washers, some have inner washers, some do not.

Hmmm... any safe alternatives? I have it on personal experience that paint thinner does no damage at all, but that's only good for clean up of superglue.

If not it's fine, I suspect any oxidation is minor and long dead-any tiny spots on the razors are otherwise rather light and non-active (black specks).

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
If anything, I’d try a tiny bit of bicycle chain wax applied with a toothpick. Make sure that it’s the wax product, there are several types.

Okay, looking closely there was bits of black fuzzy oxidation/lint? caught in the scales on the top side, blending in with the scale colour.

Gently wiped it away, there are internal washers indeed-some grey metal (lead? Heljestrand pin wedges seem to be commonly made from)

Top Bottom