What's new

Are natural hair brushes days NUMBERED?

I think manufacturers who only produce brushes have a niche market which may be the very essence and reason of their economic existence. So they’ll hold on to natural (I’m talking about badgers, here) as long as they’re legally available (from China) - which is probably many, many years to come.

At the other end of things, I’d say “broader manufacturers” and retailers are likely to discontinue their natural brushe lines simply because that’s the overall trend. Kent has done it, as well as Executive Shaving, which has stopped selling natural brushes.

If the manufacturer is directly or indirectly owned by a publicly held company, I’d bet they will have stopped producing natural brushes in less than 5 years, due to ESG concerns. If they haven’t stopped yet, it’s only because sales are so dim to have gone unnoticed by management at the top.

I think manufacturers who only produce brushes have a niche market which may be the very essence and reason of their economic existence. So they’ll hold on to natural (I’m talking about badgers, here) as long as they’re legally available (from China) - which is probably many, many years to come.

At the other end of things, I’d say “broader manufacturers” and retailers are likely to discontinue their natural brushe lines simply because that’s the overall trend. Kent has done it, as well as Executive Shaving, which has stopped selling natural brushes.

If the manufacturer is directly or indirectly owned by a publicly held company, I’d bet they will have stopped producing natural brushes in less than 5 years, due to ESG concerns. If they haven’t stopped yet, it’s only because sales are so dim to have gone unnoticed by management at the top.
I hope you are wrong, but that is an honest opinion

If you asked me one year back I would have agreed. Since then I have two badgers and a horse which made me change my mind.
I am pretty sure though that synthetics will evolve even more upon the level that they are equal or better.
but we are a traditional bunch so no do not worry unless they ban usage of animal hairs they will be there forever

Everybody has preferences concerning things like face feel and backbone... but neither of those things are inherent to one hair type over another. One badger brush can have a totally different "face feel" to another badger brush. Same with backbone. It's entirely subjective. What feels good is subjective.

Efficiency as a tool is not subjective. Synthetics are much more product efficient in that they virtually always require less soap than naturals to make the same amount of lather. They are more time efficient by requiring less time to lather than naturals. These characteristics, among others, can be reproduced and measured. There is absolutely no question that synthetic dry faster... never have to be soaked. They never take weeks to break in. They never require animal harvest. These are consistent quantifiable advantaged. How important each of these traits is to each of us will vary per individual but the traits themselves are fixed and many are unique to synthetics.

You can "prefer" a blue Honda Civic to a red Ferrari because you like the color blue, have a sentimental attachment or some other subjective preference. That doesn't discount that Ferraris are, by a large, the superior tool in regard to their base function.
Tell ya what - if anyone wanna trade their Ferrari (I don't care what color) for my rose gold Muhle silver tip Badger, lemme know.

I'll pay for shipping for both items 😂

I think that there will always be a place for badger and boar brushes. I resisted buying a synthetic for about 10 years of wet-shaving, mainly because the reviews were so negative. My first was was a Razor Rock from Italian Barber that I bought after the buzz about synthetics turned positive. Glad I did - I have a nice mix now both of high-end and less expensive boars, badgers and synthetics and I can get a nice comfortable lather from all of them. I find that synthetics really work well with creams - in my experience, it takes even less cream from the tube with a synthetic brush than a badger requires to get a nice rich head of lather. With brushes, as well as razors, creams, soaps and A/S, both legacy and new creations, we are truly living in the golden age of wet shaving!

... said the computer, trying to seem human.

Hardly, but i won't bother you with my background. I dare say you'd be as impressed with it as I am at somebody spending $350 on a shaving brush.

I just think that if a person is going to make such seemingly incongruous comparisons they should be able to logically explain their rationale behind them. I s
For those who do not understand the joy that comes with using tools that have their own individual character and personality, I'm afraid I won't be able to explain it to you.
Sorry. :(

Its kind of like answering a question with a question. Can the poster not quantify his statement in his own words? Flame away as you will, I'm fine with that, really I am.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hardly, but i won't bother you with my background. I dare say you'd be as impressed with it as I am at somebody spending $350 on a shaving brush.

I just think that if a person is going to make such seemingly incongruous comparisons they should be able to logically explain their rationale behind them. I s

Its kind of like answering a question with a question. Can the poster not quantify his statement in his own words? Flame away as you will, I'm fine with that, really I am.

You are seeking an answer that suits what you want to hear.
An answer quantifying these qualities would likely then be further subjected to critical dissection until the concept intended by the original answer is lost in the weeds of nit picking.
Character and personality of an inanimate object is subjective, but is suggested to infer that there is more to the object than its functional description.
An analogy might be stated thus.
You may drive from point A to point B on a moped or in a Porsche.
The Porsche has more character and personality than the moped.
This character and personality is more than just top speed available, or simple physical comfort involved.

An answer quantifying these qualities would likely then be further subjected to critical dissection until the concept intended by the original answer is lost in the weeds of nit picking.
Character and personality of an inanimate object is subjective, but is suggested to infer that there is more to the object than its functional description.
This character and personality is more than just top speed available, or simple physical comfort involved.
Thanks for responding so tactfully

Doug

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Many of those who are active on this forum are attuned to differences which most would either miss altogether or for which they would observe only a small and insignificant difference. Many also use hyperbole in making comparisons.

I have had a few badgers and one synthetic. They look pretty similar, work pretty similarly, and feel pretty similar. Sure, I can notice that the Kent badger splays more easily than the Simpson T2 synthetic, but the T2 and the Chubby 1 have more in common with each other than with the Kent. People talk about synthetics flinging lather, and I am not saying it does not occur, but it sure doesn't occur during the normal lathering process for me. Yes, the uniqueness of natural products is fun and worthy of appreciation, but even if some day all you can buy will be synthetics, wet shaving will still be fun.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Many of those who are active on this forum are attuned to differences which most would either miss altogether or for which they would observe only a small and insignificant difference. Many also use hyperbole in making comparisons.

I have had a few badgers and one synthetic. They look pretty similar, work pretty similarly, and feel pretty similar. Sure, I can notice that the Kent badger splays more easily than the Simpson T2 synthetic, but the T2 and the Chubby 1 have more in common with each other than with the Kent. People talk about synthetics flinging lather, and I am not saying it does not occur, but it sure doesn't occur during the normal lathering process for me. Yes, the uniqueness of natural products is fun and worthy of appreciation, but even if some day all you can buy will be synthetics, wet shaving will still be fun.

It sure beats any other alternative!

Tell ya what - if anyone wanna trade their Ferrari (I don't care what color) for my rose gold Muhle silver tip Badger, lemme know.

I'll pay for shipping for both items 😂
Now I was almost looking for my dinky toy… hmmm I even have a pc Ferrari mouse but d…. Rose gold that is even tackier than that Ferrari mouse so no thanks

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
For me, "character" in a shaving brush is not a positive aspect. I'll attempt to clarify that...

If I was to enjoy collecting brushes, and having a wide variety of options, then I could see the appeal of each brush having its own "personality". However, with brushes, I prefer simplicity and predictability. If I wreck a brush and have to replace it, I want the new one to perform as closely as possible to its predecessor.

I suppose some of us appreciate the diverse nature of individual organic brushes more than others. Personally, I don't need more variability in my shaves. I want to be fully calibrated to my meagre assortment of brushes. Uniqueness in brush properties can make it harder to feel "settled" with my choices. Some might not want to feel settled, but I do.

I also used to drive a Honda :lol: I don't like my possessions having a mind of their own. They're tools to me, not friends.

Oops! Am i ever chagrinned. I thought i deleted that text and didn't post it. Sorry. That's what i get for doing things on my phone with my fat fingers

To be sure affirmation of our views is something we all seek. Yes even you. It's kind of petty to fall back on the stance that one is only interested in hearing their own views echoed back to them. We seem to hear a lot of that these days just about everywhere. Certainly one will not be convinced contrary to their bias. Such objectivity is a rare quality. I'll defer though. Sorry for intruding.

Badgers are top of the heap for a reason.
Heat retention is a huge plus, as someone else has mentioned, this as the only thing badger has that others don't.
This alone would steer me to badger.
Even boar does not retain the heat along with all the other good stuff as well.
The fact that the animals are harvested for other uses makes me want to use the hair all the more. Using everything on an animal is responsible and the right thing to do IMO.
Nothing will ever equal the quality badgers I own, nothing.

Badgers are top of the heap for a reason.
Heat retention is a huge plus, as someone else has mentioned, this as the only thing badger has that others don't.
This alone would steer me to badger.
Even boar does not retain the heat along with all the other good stuff as well.
The fact that the animals are harvested for other uses makes me want to use the hair all the more. Using everything on an animal is responsible and the right thing to do IMO.
Nothing will ever equal the quality badgers I own, nothing.

That's one of the things I love about badger brushes. Synthetic brushes would be cold after I'm done soaking them after my shower. However, badger brushes are nice and warm and ready for lathering soap when I'm done with my shower and ready to shave.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Wokes are already complaining that aquariums are prisons, and pet fish should be banned. Will badger brushes be their next target? It wouldn't surprise me. Good thing most badger hair comes from China (I think). I've had over 25 brushes, mostly badger. I hated boar, but I love my Thater, Shavemac, Simpson and Rooney badgers.

I have to say that synthetics have gotten much better over the years. My 1st synth, 2015, I pif'd to another member. My second, 2017, was like shaving with a porcupine. I use it occasionally to clean crumbs out of my keyboard. My third, 2018, is a 24mm RazoRock. It lathers just fine, but mentally I have a problem choosing a $30 synth over my $100-$165 badgers. I will say that if all my brushes get destroyed in a fire, or I was just starting out, I'd be happy with a good synth. They've come a long way.

I agree it's more important but face feel is specific to individual brushes and doesn't represent naturals or synthetics as a whole. ..which is what we're comparing here.
I would separate them though, synthetics do not feel like naturals and naturals don't feel like synthetics, so they kind of are represented as a whole, but the wholes do have a broad range. Boars don't vary that much imo(a little with loft, size etc.), but with badgers there are too many grades of hair gotten from different parts of the animal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom