What's new

Are natural hair brushes days NUMBERED?

Recently purchased a bunch of synthetic knot brushes from various vendors, and…, NO complaints! 😳

In fact, I’m pleasantly surprised and more than satisfied! ☺️

I once thought natural, especially BADGER, bristles were the “top of the line,” but after trying out these synthetics, I dunno. 🤔

I mean, with synthetics, you get exceptional performance, a variety of styles, at half, even a third the price of a similarly performing natural?

Its a “no brainer” for me, gents.

Should natural hair brush makers be concerned?

I think modern synthetics are very good and I could happily use mine exclusively for the rest of my life, but they are not quite the same as a good badger. They have knocked boar brushes out of my den, though. I put synthetics such as Simpson's Platinum fibers a close second to badgers. I don't have any really high end brushes though.

I think modern synthetics are very good and I could happily use mine exclusively for the rest of my life, but they are not quite the same as a good badger. They have knocked boar brushes out of my den, though. I put synthetics such as Simpson's Platinum fibers a close second to badgers. I don't have any really high end brushes though.
Simpson’s platinum is one of the best synthetic’s I ever owned for awhile.

I’m not impressed with my synthetic. It doesn’t have the feel or action of my badgers and boar. My synthetic is also a soppy brush. It gets to wet and makes thin runny lather. I know I can get the water down correctly, but it’s not worth the trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm mostly a synthetic brush shaver but recently bought some badger brushes(1st time ever) and 1 more boar brush.
I like the the 2 band badger (finest badger)24mm brushes and a good broke in boar brush can be a nice brush.(nice change up once in a while)
You might see times when badger is popular and boar brushes and a few years later it swings back to synthetics?? This is a good time for traditional wet shaving because quality of razors & blades to brushes are outstanding. Pricing is also great if you are selective and buy sales, I bought excellent quality badger brushes at bargain bottom prices to see if I would like them.
The biggest drawback with natural hair brushes can be funk smell but manufactures are even getting that out, my last 3 out 4 natural bushes had no serious funk odour and only 1 had some badger scent that is almost gone through use.
I have never been so spoiled a traditional wet shaver.

I love my synthetic brushes. I have owned some highly recommended badger brushes priced around the $125. range and I hated them. My synthetics out performed them in every way. Not even close.
Then you should try a Morris & Forndran Finest, or a Simpson’s 2 Band Silvertip then you could no longer say that, but each to his own this hobby/necessity appeals to a wide range of people that is what makes it so much fun.

I'm pretty sure one of them was a Simpson's 2 Band Silvertip. I know one was a Thater 2 Band Silvertip. Did not like it.
Unless you got a Chubby 2 2 Band Silvertip and spent $350.00 that would be the comparison, but as long as you are enjoying your shaves that is the important thing my friend.

I had a Duke 3 Manchurian that cost as much as the Chubby 2, 2 Band Silvertip, but I did not like it as well, so just spending money doesn’t always mean it is great.

Last edited:
Animal welfare concerns will be the natural brush killer (if it gains enough traction), not performance differences, Kent brushes being a pre-eminent example of the former. I don't think we'll ever see a synthetic fiber that mimics the behaviour and physical properties of natural fibers in the shaving world because it just isn't a big enough market to recoup the costs that kind of materials research would need imo.

My synthetic experience is limited to a Simpson Classic 1. Briefly, I don’t like it and am not anxious to try another synthetic. There was more than enough backbone and very soft bristles but no splay, no scrub and for me a very poor face feel.

My one boar (the Connaught Jade Omega) has over 100 uses, is still breaking in and generally yields terrific results. My Shavemac 2 band silvertip knots are probably my favorite. My Simpson super and best knots are also great and the Manchurian in a B&B group buy is also top notch. My badgers are all different but all keepers. My next brushes will likely all be badger because as a group, I like them best. The boar, while not my favorite, is an integral part of my brush rotation and will likely always be in the rotation because of the fine results and also the variety.

I so wanted to like the synthetic but couldn’t.

My synthetic experience is limited to a Simpson Classic 1. Briefly, I don’t like it and am not anxious to try another synthetic. There was more than enough backbone and very soft bristles but no splay, no scrub and for me a very poor face feel.

My one boar (the Connaught Jade Omega) has over 100 uses, is still breaking in and generally yields terrific results. My Shavemac 2 band silvertip knots are probably my favorite. My Simpson super and best knots are also great and the Manchurian in a B&B group buy is also top notch. My badgers are all different but all keepers. My next brushes will likely all be badger because as a group, I like them best. The boar, while not my favorite, is an integral part of my brush rotation and will likely always be in the rotation because of the fine results and also the variety.

I so wanted to like the synthetic but couldn’t.
The Shavemac 2 band Silvertip is a great consistent knot, I have 5 brushes Rudy Vey made for me with that knot in them.

@thp001 Has Kent discontinued badgers? They still have them on their site. My buddy just bought one at a local shop as well.
I have a Simpson T2 and don’t care for it. The fibres are fine but the knot is so small and set so low it’s difficult to splay.

The Shavemac 2 band Silvertip is a great consistent knot, I have 5 brushes Rudy Vey made for me with that knot in them.
I restricted my badger discussion to knots because I thought the discussion was knot based and less so about handles. Handles are so much a matter of fit in your hand and personal preference.

That being said a Rudy Vey brush is generally a masterpiece. My brushes from Rudy are all winners and unless some group buy like the Beagle comes along first, my next brush is sure to be a Rudy Vey.

There will always be a market for top of the line products. Most people are happy to settle for cheaper alternatives which work fine casual for day to day use. However in all fields there are true connoisseurs that want the very best. For shaving brushes that’s the top grade badger.

I don’t think Channel is worried about $10 jeans available at Kmart. The products do the same thing but are in totally different leagues. They have a different target audience.

It’s even possible that badger brushes will benefit from the rise of synthetics. The synthetics offer a cheaper, more accessible, point of entry. That could bring more people into using shaving brushes. Once they do many will eventually want to try a badger brush.

Last edited:
Top Bottom