What's new

Are modern razors overtaking vintage razors

I've been online window shopping lately and I realize there are a lot of new modern razors out there. And some very nice SE and DE models available. Serious competition for the vintage razors!

+1! Competition is good! Especially for folks who enjoy shaving gear! :a14::a14:

I dont think so. Vintage Gillettes still have certain mystique to them that no modern razors have. Ive got 5 or 6 vintage Gillettes, as well as a Timeless and if I had to trim my razor fleet down to 2 or 3, the Timeless would go bu-bye.

I'm with you brother....

Van Gogh never sold a painting in his lifetime.
dave
Yep they used to talk about other fads that would never last like why would people watch those little boxes in their house when they could go to the theater instead ahh tv's are just a fad they wont be around but a few years.

I don't ever see the day when vintage razors, or vintage style razors, are a big piece of the overall market.
We will probably NEVER see a classic style DE advertised during the superbowl unless its being made by Gillette, which is something I thought maybe they (Gillette) might choose to manufacture again just for the heck of it. But other than that possibility, you will not see independent classic style DE makers advertise on TV in any big way. DEs will remain a niche for throughout most of our lives, I suspect.

I don't ever see the day when vintage razors, or vintage style razors, are a big piece of the overall market.
We will probably NEVER see a classic style DE advertised during the superbowl unless its being made by Gillette, which is something I thought maybe they (Gillette) might choose to manufacture again just for the heck of it. But other than that possibility, you will not see independent classic style DE makers advertise on TV in any big way. DEs will remain a niche for throughout most of our lives, I suspect.
Advertising budgets are set based on profit margins, present and future. The profit margin is substantially higher with the disposable than with the DE. This plays a role in the movement to shift shaving patterns in India from the DE to the disposable.
Shaving is the market, how people shave is the sub-market, but sub-market doe not automatically mean "niche". To that end, I am not convinced that DE is a niche market, as there are far too many blade options even in rural East Texas. They aren't great, but they are here. Finding a shaving brush is more of a challenge. However, finding a SE blade is perhaps the most challenging of the bunch.

Advertising budgets are set based on profit margins, present and future. The profit margin is substantially higher with the disposable than with the DE. This plays a role in the movement to shift shaving patterns in India from the DE to the disposable.
Shaving is the market, how people shave is the sub-market, but sub-market doe not automatically mean "niche". To that end, I am not convinced that DE is a niche market, as there are far too many blade options even in rural East Texas. They aren't great, but they are here. Finding a shaving brush is more of a challenge. However, finding a SE blade is perhaps the most challenging of the bunch.

You're totally right there, DE shaving is very far from being a niche market if you take it on a worldwide basis, in lots of poorer countries DE shaving is the main way to go because it's so cheap, that's the reason Gillette developed the Guard, to get people off DEs and on to disposables. It's also the reason we can get loads of excellent dirt cheap blades on the grey market.

I've noticed that there seems to be a lot more discussion of new razors here in contrast to a few years ago where the talk was mostly about vintage. Personally I've gotten so many old razors for a song that I'm not very tempted by the new stuff. There are a couple that I might give in to. I do have a Fatip Piccolo but for some reason I haven't been able to bond with that one. I plan to bring it out again for OCtober and give it another shot.

Top Bottom