What's new

Are modern razors overtaking vintage razors

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I wasn’t very comfortable with the idea of getting a used razor...but SWMBO asked me a crucial question “If you could get your grandad razor, do you shave with it?”...of course; so with that in mind a got my birth year Black Beauty (1971) and now my Rockwell, EJ, Fatip, Feather are collecting dust...
Ha ha! That's pretty much what happened to me. Love my birth quarter Tech.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
As far as DE's are concerned, I agree with the once and future TobyC that King Gillette got it right the first time with the Old Type. Everything he created after that was a shadow of the best as he went for making more user friendly milder models. For modern the Fatip Grande is based off of the best the Old Type. The Fatip pleasantly has more heft at 65 grams, not too much by modern standards, and it is superbly balanced, brass, with the same rigid blade design as the Old Type. I honor, and own, the Old Type for being the original deal, and prefer my modern Fatip as far as usage due to weight, balance, ease of use, smoothness, and efficiency. You can easily own either of these two razors and call it a day.

Last edited:
As far as DE's are concerned, I agree with the once and future TobyC that King Gillette got it right the first time with the Old Type. Everything he created after that was a shadow of the best as he went for making more user friendly milder models. ....

I get your point -- and agree -- but King Gillette himself I don't think had much to do with design after the Old Type. By 1912 he had sold his majority interest and moved to California to pursue other things (real estate, oranges, weird philosophy). He had involvement in the corporation, obviously securing Gillette's position as manufacturer during WW1 a major accomplishment, but he mostly acted as an ambassador for Gillette in his twenty years in California before his death in '32.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I get your point -- and agree -- but King Gillette himself I don't think had much to do with design after the Old Type. By 1912 he had sold his majority interest and moved to California to pursue other things (real estate, oranges, weird philosophy). He had involvement in the corporation, obviously securing Gillette's position as manufacturer during WW1 a major accomplishment, but he mostly acted as an ambassador for Gillette in his twenty years in California before his death in '32.

Thanks for the info my friend. I officially amend it to everything Gillette created after that...

Last edited:

Great point!! Credit the OT to the King, but not subsequent designs. :a21::a21:

Even though I love my Stainless Weber PH with the Classic Handle, this razor gives me fantastic shaves. I keep going back to my first razor, the Gillette Slim. For nearly 60 years this razor has lasted through countless blade changes, a few dial changes and many toothbrush cleanings and yet it works just as well as the day I got it.
Personally, except for my Weber I prefer Vintage razors, Gillette, Star, Probak DE, Gem, EverReady and Star SE razors. The new razors that I've used didn't match up to the vintage, But I am sure that there are new razors that can match or surpass vintage

Nothing I've tried has been as good as my dirt cheap Old Types and my Gem SEs but then again I'm not the sort of person that would spend 200 quid on a razor.

My first Old Type has lasted me years now, I've only had to change the head a few times and the handle once or twice :) Sorry I couldn't resist.

FarmerTan

As far as DE's are concerned, I agree with the once and future TobyC that King Gillette got it right the first time with the Old Type. Everything he created after that was a shadow of the best as he went for making more user friendly milder models. For modern the Fatip Grande is based off of the best the Old Type. The Fatip pleasantly has more heft at 65 grams, not too much by modern standards, and it is superbly balanced, brass, with the same rigid blade design as the Old Type. I honor, and own, the Old Type for being the original deal, and prefer my modern Fatip as far as usage due to weight, balance, ease of use, smoothness, and efficiency. You can easily own either of these two razors and call it a day.
I miss Toby C, Highspeedlane, BSA Guy, etc...

FarmerTan

I miss them too. They really elevated the forum with their knowledge. I miss TobyC's ornery-ness. BSA Guy was the first one to welcome me here all those years ago now.
Wow. Awesome that you remember that! Highspeedlane PIFed me 50 GSB blades within a week or two of me joining here, and was ALWAYS a class act. Too bad I didn't catch it, huh?

When these guys drop out I worry about them.

Us old nurses may retire but we never stop worrying about folks, ha!

I've been online window shopping lately and I realize there are a lot of new modern razors out there. And some very nice SE and DE models available. Serious competition for the vintage razors!

I don't think new razors are pushing vintage out of the way. I think there is plenty of room for both vintage and new. The more razor choices the better, I think.

I don't think new razors are pushing vintage out of the way. I think there is plenty of room for both vintage and new. The more razor choices the better, I think.
I agree. I enjoy vintage but I also like trying a lot of the modern razors. Both have their place on my shelf.

I'm very fond of my vintage razors, Probably because they've been around as long (or longer) than I have and there's a certain satisfaction in using an item that has withstood the the ravages of time much better than I have.

Having said that, Truthfully I can get a touch more comfortable shave with a Razorock GC or Edwin Jagger DE89. :surrender:

The more razors that I try, the more I tend to lean towards the vintage razors. Most of the Vintage Gillette razors has been my favorites so far, except for the Tech. I enjoy the Tech but it's a touch too mild for my taste.

Modern razors work well but I like the milder razors a bit more. Most of the modern razors tend to give me slight irritation. I can work with it but I like my mild shaves with the Vintage Gillettes.

Top Bottom