What's new

Are modern razors overtaking vintage razors

Man, this is tough. For adjustable razors, I like vintage. You could not pry my cold dead fingers off my Timeless Titanium .95OC !

I know this thread is geared toward DEs, but I get a sense of satisfaction from finding a razor from the 1800s, cleaning it up, putting an edge on it, and then actually using it for it's originally intended function. A sense of connection while thinking of the multiple generations that have used it.

That can't come from a new razor. Vintage shaving gear will always have a market.

Let's put it this way... a $15 modern razor will never be better than a $15 vintage Gillette
I agree with this, especially since I think modern razors tend to be way too heavy, but it's not like they're making any more vintage ones.

Fendrihan has a few chrome-plated brass (head and handle) 3-piece razors in the low CAD$30 range that are tempting me now. Still, they're around 117 g.

Van Gogh never sold a painting in his lifetime.
dave
Uh, he did, through his brother Theo's gallery, but he certainly couldn't quit his day job, and much of the money and supplies that Theo sent him was more of a charity.

I know this thread is geared toward DEs, but I get a sense of satisfaction from finding a razor from the 1800s, cleaning it up, putting an edge on it, and then actually using it for it's originally intended function. A sense of connection while thinking of the multiple generations that have used it.

That can't come from a new razor. Vintage shaving gear will always have a market.

Oddly enough, when I used straights, they had to be vintage. They just felt better. now that I am back in the land of DE razors, I cannot abide "vintage". I much prefer the feel and quality of modern.

I think a big part of why I enjoy collecting razors is the historical aspects of them/the companies that made them, along side the fact that I tend to like the look of them more. Plus, there's nothing lacking for me with my vintage razors that I'd feel the need to get a brand new one. If for some reason I could only have one razor, my GEM 1912 would do perfectly well. Modern razors just don't have any appeal to me right now, so I'll be sticking to old ones for the forseable future (not ruling out the possibility that my preference could change though).

But that's just my personal preference, I can't speak to any overall trends within traditional shaving.

Vintage to modern there is something for everyone. I love the variety for shavers these days. I started the vintage RAD then more modern the last year or so. I enjoyed the thrill of finding vintage in the wild, cleaning them up, and using them (typically at the time, the razor I found was a new experience for me).

Modern feels like there is now a great variety of materials, stainless, brass, titanium at relatively small costs for a hobby (compared to other hobbies). I think the modern razors are finding the niche markets and making things tailored to the user, more so than vintage razors that was produced for the masses. The modern razors you can get a wide range of safety bar to open comb, small blade gaps to large, no exposure to lots. It's a great way to experiment!

Not sure either is "taking over" but there is a huge selection to try!

Last edited:
Not only are there more moderns to choose from, it it also getting harder to find good quality vintage razors in the wild. For me I always enjoyed vintage because I enjoyed shaving with something old school, something with a bit of history. But now I am also enjoying the craftsmanship and design quality of the moderns. We have to give credit to the old masters like the Kampfe Brothers, King Gillette and Col. Jacob Schick. All our moderns use those old designs as their foundation.

Hmmmmm, that sounds suspect me thinks!!
His reply gets me off the hook. He’s right. People need to stop wasting their time trying to find good quality vintage razors in the wild and grab a modern one from a sponsoring site or amazon. You’ll be able to peel off the wrapper for around $35-$200+

Not only are there more moderns to choose from, it it also getting harder to find good quality vintage razors in the wild.

His reply gets me off the hook. He’s right. People need to stop wasting their time trying to find good quality vintage razors in the wild and grab a modern one from a sponsoring site or amazon. You’ll be able to peel off the wrapper for around $35-$200+
I sense an underlying time of perhaps trying to narrow the competition?

I'm emotionally biased towards vintage everything, but I've just been blown away by the quality of the modern high end DE's that I've handled, particularly in stainless steel, which is the ideal material for a razor imo. For the same quality in vintage you're looking at some serious coin, if you can find them at all.

To answer the OP; look at the prices of Gillettes compared to ten years ago; a lot of us were buying them to use. It was never just a collector hobbyist market.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have found that Vintage Gillette Razors
will always be my first love, The History is what does it for me. I have a 105 year old Gillette Bulldog that shaves me just as close and comertable as some of the Modern Razors
I have tried. I really enjoy my SS Timeless and
My RR Game Changer . But the beauty of the 1934 Gillette Aristocrat , How can you beat that.
It's a wonderful shaver too :)
I think that you can have the best of both worlds. Variety is the spice of life :)

Top Bottom