What's new

Are longer whiskers easier, harder or the same to shave with a SR and why?

Well, long whiskers are easier to find; they do not hide as well. But with short stubble, I miss some. And then later, I am too lazy to go back and get them.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Well, long whiskers are easier to find; they do not hide as well. But with short stubble, I miss some. And then later, I am too lazy to go back and get them.
If I miss one, I just go back and start another three-pass SR shave again. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

With luck, you can stretch your SR shaving into an all-day affair 😁.

Does the base of a whisker change diameter as it grows?

What does easier mean?

How the whiskers feel when you run your hand over them is irrelevant to the shave, IMO. Short whiskers feel like sand paper because you are touching the shorn off tops. I suppose with longer hair it’s easier to see the direction of the grain.

I shave every day because I don’t like the feel of stubble, and shaving is so much fun.

My only experience is shaving of my mustache. The longer hair dictated my approach — top down on the first pass, because it was the easiest way to get the blade edge against the base of the whisker. It was harder than it is now maintains the upper lip area, but I had no experience shaving that area.

Like death and taxes, whiskers are always going to be there... growing. I like to shave M-W-F and take the weekend off so Monday morning is always a bit more satisfying. On off days, I'll let the whiskers peek their little heads out, have their day in the sun and after they get a little cocky and least expect it in the morning, I'll exercise dominion over them, slice them off at their bases and rinse them down the sink; lather, rinse, repeat. I think a SR or a Gillette Old Type are perfect candidates to take any length off; anything else stands the risk of clogging. One day or 20, I don't think there's much different for a capable razor, it's just more satisfying to shave multiple day's worth.

I usually shave daily, but when I skip the occasional day I find that the razor encounters more resistance. I would say that not all whiskers grow at the same rate, and if they do, you don't always cut them at exactly the same length. When you shave daily you don't cut all the whiskers, every time, but after a skipping a day or more you do.

I would therefore guess that it doesn't matter if you skip a day, or ten, it would feel the same.

End result feels the same, daily or after two days or more.

Top Bottom