What's new

Are larger razors more comfortable?

I know YMMV, but I've been recently having with a Challenge Cutlery 6/8 near wedge, and I like the razor. Today, I pulled out a smaller Challenge Cutlery razor, a 5/8 round point, hollow. I've noticed that the bigger razors tend to be more comfortable. Is it just me, or is this general consensus. And if so, why?

I’m guessing that I like my 6/8 more than 5/8 because I judge the angle by how close the spine is to the face. Given the same distance, the wider blade is shallower. So I feel that I have more precise control. It’s probably in my head though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^spot on ^^^ I think larger razors are more forgiving than smaller one. I own 4, 5, 6 and 7/8 razors and they all give comfortable shaves. I rotate between sizes which helped my technique a lot, so 4/8 to me is just as forgiving as a 7/8.

PS: I like the 6/8 size, it’s was what I started with.

I prefer 6-7/8s. grind can also be a factor. I prefer the varieties of hollows (extra, bellied, full) and 1/4 hollows. 1/2 hollows aren't as good a face feel as either for me, and 1/4s do as good or better (more nimble) work than wedges for me.

larger blades allow for a comfortable shave with more sloppy technique, especially blade angles in my opinion. and they hold more lather. with a 7/8 I can generally shave one entire side of my face before rinsing lather from it. 4-5/8s don't allow that. it's a little thing, but it's there.

find what you like and use them.

larger blades...hold more lather. with a 7/8 I can generally shave one entire side of my face before rinsing lather from it. 4-5/8s don't allow that. it's a little thing, but it's there.

For my preferences, this is key. I like how nimble my 5/8 razors are, but I don't enjoy having to wash them off twice as often, so I generally prefer 6/8+ sized blades.

It’s all YMMV. I have favorite razors that vary in size. It’s all driven by a multitude of factors. Size only comes into consideration when you get to the extremes. Anything above 7/8 or under 4/8 just don’t hit any notes for me.

How much lather it holds never factored in. It’s more aesthetics and ergonomics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am most concerned with the overall profile - grind. I am not into hollows, I prefer to shave with 1/2 hollow and heavier blades. The balance of the razor is important to me, and heft is a factor there. I do go for larger blades, say - over 6/8", again it's about balance and heft. The larger size blades do appeal more to me aesthetically, but I'd take a 5/8 wedge over a 6/8 hollow. Blades that flex - like 'singers', I usually don't like them.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Between 5/8 and 6/8, for me. Nimble little blades smaller than 5/8 do have one advantage. Easier to get under the nose. 7/8 have a nice heft and seem to have more cutting power, and are in general easier to hone. The middle ground of 5/8 to 6/8 just seem right.

Wow... "Comfort" means so many different things. Comfort in your hand. Comfort against your face. Comfort in manuvering around your face. Comfort seeing past the blade. Comfort stropping. Comfort not banging the tap on the sink...

Taken as a whole, I vastly prefer 6/8 to 8/8 (with 13/16 - 7/8 being my sweet spot) with a near wedge grind.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I know YMMV, but I've been recently having with a Challenge Cutlery 6/8 near wedge, and I like the razor. Today, I pulled out a smaller Challenge Cutlery razor, a 5/8 round point, hollow. I've noticed that the bigger razors tend to be more comfortable. Is it just me, or is this general consensus. And if so, why?
My preference is 5/8 and smaller but I haven’t noticed a comfort difference with larger blades.

I find that with larger, heavier blades, I'm often done in two passes, but a smaller full hollow can require 4 passes, especially on my chin, jaw, and neck.

One thing I can say is I really don't enjoy stropping sub 5/8 blades. I also loathe really tiny wedge grind blades to shave with.

I find the zowada a bit daunting, the weight of the blade carelessly just touching on my skin at the wrong angle was enough to slice a large clean flap of skin painlessly (I honed to 30k) - stuck it back with alum and it healed 🙂 , as a not very scientific test just resting on the edge on a sheet of paper will cause the weight to cleanly slice it in half with no hand pressure. The small light blade has no weight so is very dainty and precise even under my nose and chin so if anything I find the light small blade easy to use plus I can hear and feel it, but maybe its just practise and confidence?

Attachments

• IMG_1257.png
    IMG_1257.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 31

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
6/8 - 7/8 for me. It isn’t so much the blade with though as the size/shape of the tang. I can shave well with any width, but I do not like small, squarish chopstick tangs (Henckles), tapered top-to-bottom tangs (Eiko, Some Torrey, and some French framebacks), or very thin side-to-side tangs (many Japanese framebacks).

Top Bottom