What's new

Are Harry's used by anyone?

So I was given an 8-pack of these carts with a handle, and I'm thinking about keeping them for travel usage basically so they're not wasted.

How are they for a 4-blade? I usually go DE or twin-cartridge because those are easier to use under the nose.

I can still service cartridges if there is a good soap with them

i use Harry's sometimes, just for any readers not aware, the cart is 6 blades, 5 on one side and a 'trimmer' blade on the back, similar to Gillette Fusion5 and most '5 and 1' carts.
As for the shave, it is as close or closer than any of the Gillettes but not quite as comforatble and smooth shaving. I get 10-15 satifactory shaves for each cart. For me definitely a good system at a good price.

I used them just before I switched to DE shaving. I liked them, decent shave and the handle was comfortable and seemed well made. Price was somewhat better than the other big name brands if you used the scheduled delivery. I ended up PIFing the eight blades I hadn't used to my neighbor just because I wasn't using them.

i can thank Harry's for making Gillette reduce the prices of their carts and probably making them introduce the Gillette3 carts which i use with my Mach 3 Turbo handle. Other than that i haven't used Harry's.

The trimmer blade on the back should work for shaving the upper lip.

My main issue with 4-5 blade cartridges is that they can only work if I do 2 passes, WTG and XTG/ATG. Anything more is trouble for my skin

So, a friend, who is a Harry's user and knew of my shaving addiction, graciously gifted me a Harry's set.
Tried it today, on two days' growth, with my 'normal' shave routine.

Prep with glycerin soap face lather and rinse.
I even found that the Harry's shave gel would produce a loose but stable-enough lather, so I used it with a badger brush. And, did one side of face with Harry's and other with Gillette Fusion cartridge (perhaps fifth use) on Art of Shaving flexball handle. Two passes each side.

Overall impression of Harry's was quite OK!
Decent shave. WRT the Harry's razor and blade...IMHO, it was marginally, slightly less sharp and a tad more scratchy compared to the Gillette Fusion. But clean and comfortable.

Surprisingly, I was impressed with Harry's software! The shave gel was great; good protection and slickness; nice, somewhat subdued scent with citrus, cucumber, licorice. The aftershave gel was also quite nice, lots of aloe, perhaps a tad on the oily side, but soothing with good aftershave moisture remaining. BTW, Harry's software shows as Made in England.

Regarding the razor handle, Harry's plastic razor (w cart) weighs in at 1.4 oz, vs the Fusion cart on the AOS plastic/metal handle at 1.9 oz.

Re pricing, Harry's blades are proprietary (online only?) and are $2 apiece; Fusion blades are $3 apiece, although Gillette 5-blade carts (USA-made, with same pivot as Harry) can be had on Amazon for under $2.

So, will Harry disrupt the shave industry? IMHO, not really, more like a wave and not a tsunami.

harry's gillette muehle april 15 2020 b.jpg

FWIW, I spoke to a young man at a store that sold underwear and imported, Italian shave stuff (go figure). He was a Harry's or Dollar Shave club member with a subscription. He got some blades, shave cream and some aftershave balm stuff in the mail every month. He hardly had any beard at all, looked to me like just some beard in the goatee area so he said wound up with extra blades every month ((which he gave to his, ahem, "partner") even though he was getting the minimum order.

None of the above is particularly interesting. What is interesting is how much it was costing him. With shipping it was $12.00 per month. That is $144.00 per year! Over a 50 year shaving career that is about $7,500.00!

A Gold Dollar straight razor set up, and a girlfriend or wife who will by you soap and AS for Christmas every year, will have a lifetime cost of less than $200.00

Don't these kids think anything through?

When Harry's was newly introduced I tried it. Overall it gave a smooth comfortable shave. I did find that sometimes it would skip leaving most of a stroke unshaven. I attributed it to the plastic hinge. A few years later I heard that they had made improvements on the hinge and tried it again with no skips encountered.

I should add that Harry's is my son's favorite choice. He prefers it to any cartridge he has tried including Gillette, Schick, and Dorco.

I use Harry's when I travel, since the cartridges can go into a carry on bag. Overall, while I like using my DE more, the Harry's razors provide a good shave, and they're inexpensive enough I don't feel terrible about changing it out after 5 uses.

I used Harry’s for the 14 months before I switched to DE. I think I used disposables before that. Going way way back I actually had a single blade Bic disposable that were discovered when my grandparents moved. I used up that pack and loved them, but of course they are out of production. So it was back to carts. When I switched to Harry’s I was impressed by their shave gel, it was better than the others I had tried. The carts were just fine as far as the quality of the shave, and I had never seen a razor with a detailing single blade. I liked that too.

So, why don’t I use Harry’s today? Same as any multi blade cart or disposable. They clog. That’s my main issue and reason for dumping carts. I also would feel I needed to squeeze every last bit of use out of one of those things and would use it too long. I also have an issue where I get bad ingrown in certain spots with a cart. Conversely, I discovered I get ingrown a in a different area using DE when I go ATG. So I have settled on 2 WTG pass shaves. Does the trick.

I have 4Harry’s carts remaining and packed into a dip kit. So the next time the wife decides to drag me into a plane for an exciting destination I’ll be going with Harry’s. For travel, I have no issue using them.

I use Harry’s when I fly and occasionally at home. I have two handles and get the carts at Target. For a travel razor they are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom