What's new

Are fragrances sold on Amazon fake?

I purchased some luxury-car-brand edt's from Amazon a couple of days ago, and now I've started to develop a rash on my left wrist and neck. This has never happened to me in all my years wearing cologne. I usually buy my fragrances from Macy's or other reputable brick and mortar stores.

I know; I'm an idiot for paying 3x the markup. I'm guessing this is why they're so dirt cheap compared to department stores?

I can only tell you about my one experience buying a bottle of cologne through Amazon from a third-party seller named UG Stores.

Many years ago, I used a cologne called "Zizane," made by Fragonard, a French fragrance manufacturer. I got a lot of compliments on it. Well I saw it listed on Amazon as "Zizane by Fragonard." UG even claims on their Amazon Page that everything they sell is authentic. What I got was some foul smelling crap that smelled absolutely nothing like Zizane, and Fragonard was nowhere to be seen on the bottle; they stopped making Zizane many years ago.

I tried to complain to Amazon, and they turned a blind eye, I suppose because they make a lot more off UG then me. When I tried to get a resolution from UG, they had me e-mail them photos of the product, then they assured me they'd refund my money. They ended up refunding less than half.

So I say don't do it. Personally I like Fragrance.Net.

On Amazon, think of 3rd party sellers like eBay. You have to be careful and assume that things like fragrances are fake. If you're buying cologne on Amazon, make sure it's sold by Amazon.

Fragrancenet or Fragrancex are both reputable and have reasonable prices.

Just like Uber is now fully staffed by former cab drivers, Amazon is now full of former eBay sellers. When eBay started shifting to a "buyer is always right" platform, the scammers and Chinese knockoff sellers migrated to a new platform.

Amazon is known for intentionally allowing fakes to be sold as 'motivation' for the authentic brands and makers to open Amazon stores. Only then it will put effort policing the fakes.

LoL! Updated: Two of the 4 spray tops have stopped working. You've got to press really hard for it to spray something.

For the sites you guys mentioned, I'm going with them for now on. But why would these places sell discounted fragrances when Nordstrom, Macy's Sax' etc... all mark up their fragrances? Why not compete?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Amazon is known for intentionally allowing fakes to be sold as 'motivation' for the authentic brands and makers to open Amazon stores. Only then it will put effort policing the fakes.

I’ve heard that as well. My Amazon buying is dwindling. I’d rather support more ethical practices when I can.

As a general rule I don’t think someone is a fool for buying from Macy or similar on items like perfumes. I think it’s foolish to go to amazon for things of that nature.

I’ve heard that as well. My Amazon buying is dwindling. I’d rather support more ethical practices when I can.

As a general rule I don’t think someone is a fool for buying from Macy or similar on items like perfumes. I think it’s foolish to go to amazon for things of that nature.

+1

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I appreciate this thread! I have been eyeing cologne spray "testers" on the Bay that seem to be too good to be true, and y'all have me convinced that they probably are!

I’ve used fragrancenet.com only had one issue a box arrived with a broken bottle one phone call and the emailed me a shipping label I sent it back and had my option of my money back or another bottle took a few weeks in all to get it settled but they took care of me

I also use fragrances.com
My wife had a gift set arrive with a busted tube of soap rest of product was good they requested a pic which we sent immediately the next day she received an email to keep the set and that they were shipping her a new set only took a few day

fragrances seem to have quicker shipping but fragrancenet seem to have a little better prices depending on their promo

both great places I’m very satisfied with both businesses

I wouldn’t take a chance on amazon if you can get it from one of the above sites

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I’ve used fragrancenet.com only had one issue a box arrived with a broken bottle one phone call and the emailed me a shipping label I sent it back and had my option of my money back or another bottle took a few weeks in all to get it settled but they took care of me

I also use fragrances.com
My wife had a gift set arrive with a busted tube of soap rest of product was good they requested a pic which we sent immediately the next day she received an email to keep the set and that they were shipping her a new set only took a few day

fragrances seem to have quicker shipping but fragrancenet seem to have a little better prices depending on their promo

both great places I’m very satisfied with both businesses

I wouldn’t take a chance on amazon if you can get it from one of the above sites
+1 in fragrancenet.com. Don't have any experience with fragrances.com.

Top Bottom