What's new

Are Feathers a lot sharper than Astra blades?

Feather blades always get mixed reviews. I find they work best for me in mild razors. In some razors I can get only two good shaves with a Feather. But, put that same blade in a Feather AS-D2 and I get up to 12 great shaves with it.

I'm a newbie with a year of experience and will say that Astras are smoother (I'm afro Caribbean with course hair) and I love it, however, feather needs to be respected when in use. I have a Gillette adjustable so for astra I go from lvl 5-6, and even 7 at times, but feather I have to go down to 3-4 and 5 if I wanna have the balls.

I find Feathers, being super sharp, can skip stubble. I'm finding duller blades can give a more uniform shave in terms of closeness. Does anyone else find this ?

I find Feathers, being super sharp, can skip stubble. I'm finding duller blades can give a more uniform shave in terms of closeness. Does anyone else find this ?
Can you elaborate to me what you mean by"uniform shave in terms of closeness" please?

Can you elaborate to me what you mean by"uniform shave in terms of closeness" please?

Less missed stubble or areas where closeness could be better. I'm referring to the overall 'efficiency of closeness' across the entire shaved area

Less missed stubble or areas where closeness could be better. I'm referring to the overall 'efficiency of closeness' across the entire shaved area
Note that you've said that, today I noticed how my right side has more stubble than my left I wonder if that's due to me shaving with one hand or something.

I use Astras in my Merkur 34c & 15c as well as my Parker variant and get close smooth shaves in all, so for me I have no reason to change.

For me, Feathers are great in the AS-D2!

In most any other razor that I have tried, a Feather is like playing with fire: be very careful!!
Using my Gillette Adjustable I've gone as far as lvl 5-7, but that is after few shaves. Even with it being a prime blade that thing will Nick me when I thought I made a clean pass.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I am just coming up on 1 year of DE shaving after decades of electric razors. I had been using Astra SP blades in a (chokes) Chieftain when I tried a Feather Popular razor with Feather blades and fell in love with them.

For me the Feather blades are sharper and more comfortable than Astra SP blades.

When I get a new razor I always try a new Feather in it, but I must admit I now have a preference for Gillette Platinum, Nacet, and GSB blades, though I don't feel they are sharper or last longer, I have a nicer post shave feel.

I haven't tried the Astra SS blades that @RayClem mentioned, but I will get a tuck next time I need blades.

I am just coming up on 1 year of DE shaving after decades of electric razors. I had been using Astra SP blades in a (chokes) Chieftain when I tried a Feather Popular razor with Feather blades and fell in love with them.

For me the Feather blades are sharper and more comfortable than Astra SP blades.

When I get a new razor I always try a new Feather in it, but I must admit I now have a preference for Gillette Platinum, Nacet, and GSB blades, though I don't feel they are sharper or last longer, I have a nicer post shave feel.

I haven't tried the Astra SS blades that @RayClem mentioned, but I will get a tuck next time I need blades.
Interesting. I'm planning to try out the Gillette set and see how they par with Feather. Expectations are pretty low now

Astras were my blade of choice until I discovered Feathers.

To me, Feathers are like Astra Deluxe - everything that I like about ASP but just a little better.

Blondes. Brunettes. Astras. Feathers.

Some will be gentle. Some will leave you bleedin’ and crying for yo momma.

Try ‘em all. You’ll figure out the one who’ll treat you right.

I kinda feel like this is an apples to oranges conversation. When people say Astra they usually are referring to Astra SP with a platinum coating. Feathers are stainless. A proper comparison would be with the Astra Stainless and the Feather. Some people have a reaction to the platinum coating somehow. To me Feathers are more of a sharp tool rather than a mindfully designed razor blade. You provide the mindfulness when using a Feather or a Kai.

I kinda feel like this is an apples to oranges conversation. When people say Astra they usually are referring to Astra SP with a platinum coating. Feathers are stainless. A proper comparison would be with the Astra Stainless and the Feather. Some people have a reaction to the platinum coating somehow. To me Feathers are more of a sharp tool rather than a mindfully designed razor blade. You provide the mindfulness when using a Feather or a Kai.

If you will look at the yellow packaging of the Feather Hi-Stainless blades, you will find that they also have a platinum coating.

I much prefer the Astra Superior Stainless blades to the Astra Superior Platinum. I also prefer them to Feather, but for different reasons.

The Astra SS blades cut through my tough beard far more easily than the Astra SP. I have tried SP blades from various sources. Although I can use ASP, I have never gotten a great shave. I realize they work quite well for many others, however.

Although Feather blades are quite sharp on the first shave, I find that they deteriorate quickly. I cannot even get three good shaves before they start to feel rough on my face. With other blades, I normally get four good shaves.

Of course, for those whose beard is not as tough as mine and whose skin is not as sensitive, your experience may be quite different.

If you will look at the yellow packaging of the Feather Hi-Stainless blades, you will find that they also have a platinum coating.

I much prefer the Astra Superior Stainless blades to the Astra Superior Platinum. I also prefer them to Feather, but for different reasons.

The Astra SS blades cut through my tough beard far more easily than the Astra SP. I have tried SP blades from various sources. Although I can use ASP, I have never gotten a great shave. I realize they work quite well for many others, however.

Although Feather blades are quite sharp on the first shave, I find that they deteriorate quickly. I cannot even get three good shaves before they start to feel rough on my face. With other blades, I normally get four good shaves.

Of course, for those whose beard is not as tough as mine and whose skin is not as sensitive, your experience may be quite different.
I never knew.
Honestly I’m not a fan of either. I still need to try Astra Stainless. They are inbound and I should have em soon.

I never knew.
Honestly I’m not a fan of either. I still need to try Astra Stainless. They are inbound and I should have em soon.

I hope you enjoy Astra SS as much as I do.

I find the Astra SS blades are a little sharper than the mid-sharp blades and not quite as sharp as the sharpest blades. I do prefer mid- sharp blades like 7 O'Clock Yellow in my aggressive Muhle R41 and sharper blades like Nacets in my mild VDH TTO, but for moderately aggressive razors, they work quite well.

Blondes. Brunettes. Astras. Feathers.

Some will be gentle. Some will leave you bleedin’ and crying for yo momma.

Try ‘em all. You’ll figure out the one who’ll treat you right.
If we gotta put it like that...Then Astra is just right but too permissive, always let's me do what I want without question, until I get a nick or not be as clean of a shave Feather wants respect and I like it! It can be smooth and sharp and we don't argue.

Top Bottom