What's new

Are Fatip top caps available anywhere??

I've emailed Fatip twice via their website but didn't receive a response.

I've got 2 razors with v1 caps for which I'd like v2 caps to reduce the blade chatter.

Are they available anywhere for purchase?

I've found that some regular caps fit nicely, and can be slightly more aggressive than a V2. But then you will probably need to change handles, so....

It would be nice if Fatip offered options for caps that are more or less aggressive. But they don't.

Their cheapest razor is a good deal, and you could use it's cap if your old razor is nicer.

Reactions: nav
I've emailed Fatip twice via their website but didn't receive a response.

I've got 2 razors with v1 caps for which I'd like v2 caps to reduce the blade chatter.

Are they available anywhere for purchase?
If you translate your message into Italian before sending it you may get their attention.

• Love
Reactions: nav
Fatips are so cheap , why not pick up a new one and sell the old one on BST. There would many takers for the more aggressive V1

I have several Fatips including the two v1.
I thought if I can get the caps from fatip then it would be an easy way to go by if they don't respond then I'll sell the two v1 razors.

They also have the Fatip logo etched in to the underside of the bade plate with the V2. This is another plus, although besides the cosmetics I doubt anything was changed in the base plate.

Actually, I've been intrigued by the Fatip V1, but never tried one. While it is more aggressive, I wonder if using the V1 is a matter of technique, and the V2 was introduced to be easier to learn to use. How long have you had your V2s?

This video from Maggard Razors shows the two versions side by side about halfway in. Most of the difference is in the cap, though the base is different, too.

I've suggested before that perhaps Fatip should offer caps in different widths, since they seem to make a difference. But just making replacement caps probably is not appealing, since they would prefer to just sell a new razor.

I tried two Old Type caps on a V2 Schone base plate. They both fit perfectly, nice and snug on the curve around the blade. I also put the cap from an open comb I assume is made by Pearl on the Schone base, and it fit well, too, though the cap rises a bit higher, so your angle range would be different.

This is probably not a coincidence: A lot of designers studied and copied old Gillette razors. The Fatip clearly has elements of the Old Type and New Type long comb in its design.

The Pearl open comb shaves nicely, and might be worth a try. But the workmanship and materials can't compare to the Fatip.

And if you have other three-piece razors with guide pins laying around, some caps would probably fit, too.

BTW, there is a guy who does a "blind comparison" of the two Fatips, V1 and V2, by shaving one side of the face with one razor, and the other side with the other razor.

I don't know about the rest of you, but my face is not symmetrical, and I get different results on each side using the same razor. And he had a washer on one of the razors. Nice try. He talked rather slowly. Pro tip: Always have your coffee before filming a razor video, and make it double strong. I gather by zipping through the 18 minute video that he thought the two shaved about the same.

So, NAV, let us know if YOU think there is much difference between the V1 and V2, if you ever get the new one.

Top Bottom