What's new

Are entry level automatic watches worth it?

I'm speaking of watches such as the Seiko 5 and offerings from Citizen and others. After not wearing a watch for about 20 years I decided to get one. I was looking for a "nicer" watch than my recently acquired inexpensive Timex Ironman. The concept of automatic watches have always intrigued me, so I took a little look. While looking at budget minded options I see that many can not be wound by hand, can have an accuracy of +- 30 a day, and will need maintenance after a few years whose cost makes some decided to toss the watch instead.

Why chose such a watch when a cheaper quartz movement will be more accurate and reliable and only need a cheap battery instead of more expensive preventative work? I'm not knocking anyone who likes them. I certainly get the coolness factor of the watch and the higher dollar watches will come in a much nicer package than a simple Timex or Casio. It just seems to me that unless you're buying just for looks it's a poor return on investment.

The search for an analogue watch continues....

The idea of maintaining a watch in that price range doesn't make sense to me. I like Orient watches which do more like 12 seconds a day and can be tossed when they stop running well. The last service on my Omega was some years ago and it cost me $600 and I expect the next service to be more costly. The more recent Orient models have winding and hacking movements. I just think the mechanical movements are really cool.
BN-QY353_WJ_Rog_P_20161125082650.jpg

I went through a "Mechnical" watch feeding frenzy about 30 years ago. I've owed at least one, sometimes two watches from these company's: IWC, Ullyse Nardin, UTS, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Omega, Bell & Ross and probably others.

You know what's on my wrist right now? A seiko Automatic, day/date. It keeps pretty good time.

My UTS "Adventure" and my Omega "Space Watch" are both upstairs, INOP.

My recommendation would be not to go down that 'Rabbit Hole', but I fear its already, too late. LOL!

But, understand this. If, the watch isn't worth $10,000, or more, it's just a 'user'.

You've been warned.

b/r

ON_1

I would say emphatically YES! it is worth getting an inexpensive mechanical watch. The Seiko 5 and Orient watches are excellent options. I bet you'll find you like them and they have much more soul than a quartz. I also think they won't need maintenance for quite a long time and when they do, like whiterook said, you probably will just let them go.

Last edited:
I came to the same conclusion recently. I had bought a self-winding watch so I wouldn't ever have to have a battery put in again. But the run time kept decreasing - I think the mainspring was dirty/getting some corrosion so it ran less and less on a wind. So I dropped a quick $25 on Amazon for a crazy accurate quartz watch. Very happy. I'll go for the battery when it's time.

proxy.php

It is hard to economically justify an automatic watch over a quartz, especially one with solar charging that can run for decades without any fuss. And if you care about accuracy, most entry level automatics are not competitive, though most of them can be regulated if you get involved.

I have no experience with the new style Seiko 5's with upgraded movements. My old style Seiko 5's (ones without hand winding, only shake) and Seiko Monster are not accurate enough for my satisfaction, though I have not tried to regulate them. They are enjoyable to wear a few days at a time, but after a week or so I feel the need to reset the time or stop wearing.

In favor of automatics, is that most manufacturers who also make quartz watches seem to reserve their most interesting case and dial designs for automatics. And I think their service interval is typically not that short, as I think most people keep wear theirs for a couple of decades or longer before they are serviced. And when it comes time to service, doing a complete movement swap is probably what will happen.

I don't closely follow the movement market, but I believe (but not sure) there are now various derivatives of the eta-2824 movement (i.e. Sellita) found in some expensive watches in other movements controlled by the Swatch group and coming from China. I have a couple of Aragon divers at the entry level price point with a Ronda R150 automatic movement, that have been a accurate to within a few seconds per day. Those have been fun watches to wear. In short I think automatics across the price spectrum are getting more accurate than in the past.

While I like automatics, I really like quartz for their accuracy and the one tick per second. The downside of course is a flat battery. My relatively nice Seiko quartz (SUR307) stopped last night without any warning. Some movements have a low battery indicator which I had expected to find on the SUR307 given its price. While a battery change is not too bad to do at home, I sometimes worry about the water resistance afterwards and some case backs are difficult to open.

I don’t know how many millions of quartz watches are lying dormant with dead batteries in peoples drawers never to be resurrected. So getting a solar powered or mechanical watch might be a wise and economical move.

A Citizen Eco Drive or Orient Automatic will give years/decades of service without much hassle for well under 200 bucks. My Orients run in the 8-10 sec/day bracket and I don’t worry about servicing them.

It depends on what you are looking for. I would say that if you really want accuracy, you're gonna struggle with justifying one on a budget. I highly enjoy my Invicta Pro Diver, which I'm wearing currently. It has a Seiko movement that does hack (though I don't really care/use it) and can be hand wound. It was less than $100. I enjoy the sweeping second hand, and the fact that it doesn't need a battery. I'm a mechanical engineer, so something that is purely mechanical is enjoyable to me.
On the other end of the spectrum, my next most worn watch is a Casio Duro. The second hand hits every minute marker, I hardly ever need to set it, and it fits my wrist well despite being on the large end. However, I have had to take it in for multiple battery changes.
If I were to ever decide I needed ONE watch, I'd probably look for a nice Day-Date solar field watch. Something like a Citizen Eco Drive. I do have an Eco Drive watch that I typically wear as my dress watch. Unfortunately, I don't require a dress watch very often. That makes a solar battery somewhat cumbersome for that model. Live and learn...
You're really the only one who can say if it is "worth it" for an entry level auto. You're likely the only one who will notice it. The only watch I ever had strangers compliment me on was a Fossil "twist" movement that I finally threw away because hardly anyone could change the battery.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Sure, if you do not have expectations of perfection or extreme durability. They can tell time well enough and handle most activities. If you approach it with these expectations, there is always a significant chance of being pleasantly surprised, even for a modest investment.

I'm speaking of watches such as the Seiko 5 and offerings from Citizen and others. After not wearing a watch for about 20 years I decided to get one. I was looking for a "nicer" watch than my recently acquired inexpensive Timex Ironman. The concept of automatic watches have always intrigued me, so I took a little look. While looking at budget minded options I see that many can not be wound by hand, can have an accuracy of +- 30 a day, and will need maintenance after a few years whose cost makes some decided to toss the watch instead.

Why chose such a watch when a cheaper quartz movement will be more accurate and reliable and only need a cheap battery instead of more expensive preventative work? I'm not knocking anyone who likes them. I certainly get the coolness factor of the watch and the higher dollar watches will come in a much nicer package than a simple Timex or Casio. It just seems to me that unless you're buying just for looks it's a poor return on investment.

The search for an analogue watch continues....
The common "error" is considering an automatic watch as a way of telling what time it is. It is a piece of jewelry that happens to tell the time. In other words, don't spend money on an automatic watch that you don't LOVE the look of.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I think budget autos are cool, but I'm under no illusions that they're heirloom pieces or "better" than quartz watches in any way. If you enjoy fiddling with the little whirly bits and value the horological heritage and a sweeping second hand over precise timekeeping, than they are quite satisfying. If you want "set it and forget it" simplicity and the best timekeeping for the money, go quartz. Or better yet, in true B&B style, get both! We could also throw in hand-winding mechanicals and solar quartz. Lots of styles in all types of movements.

Thanks for the advise and opinions guys. I really do love the idea of an automatic, but yall have have confirmed my suspicions that I'd regret it. 20 years ago my Timex and Casio watches could go months before I needed to adjust their time and they just kept working. An automatic won't be able to do that. I have to wear a suit for a few hours 2 or 3 days a week and just wanted something nicer looking than my plastic digital Timex.

I have a 1913 made pocket watch that I'll sometimes wear because I love that ticking and class. It's not practical, but I like it.

Thanks for the advise and opinions guys. I really do love the idea of an automatic, but yall have have confirmed my suspicions that I'd regret it. 20 years ago my Timex and Casio watches could go months before I needed to adjust their time and they just kept working. An automatic won't be able to do that. I have to wear a suit for a few hours 2 or 3 days a week and just wanted something nicer looking than my plastic digital Timex.

I have a 1913 made pocket watch that I'll sometimes wear because I love that ticking and class. It's not practical, but I like it.
There must be a dress Eco Drive Citizen that fits your budget. Bill @Whilliam might have 1-2 suggestions for you.

?

63F23944-117A-49C8-8393-633556B8D42E.png

Last edited:
I really like the looks of this one, but I'm having a hard time dropping ~ $250 with my history of destroying a watch in about 2 years. 45mm might also be too big for me.
Citizen Promaster Diver 200 Meters Eco-Drive Blue Dial Steel Men's Watch BN0191-55L - 546x546's Watch BN0191-55L - 546x546
I believe they measure it with the crown so it wears a bit smaller but it’s definitely no small watch. Are you looking for something sporty like above or for your suit&office days?

I believe they measure it with the crown so it wears a bit smaller but it’s definitely no small watch. Are you looking for something sporty like above or for your suit&office days?
Stainless steel bands have always been my choice, so I guess sporty that can also pull off a more formal look. I don't like leather brands---too hot and humid in GA for that.

I bought a Rolex Submariner Day Date 300m watch in 1986, been with me, maintained all these years. The cost for maintenance is now $850 +. I’ve had my enjoyment with it all these years.

If I were buying a watch now to start my life’s adventure, I’d buy one of the well built Casio G Shock Solar Atomic outdoor’s watch! I’d still buy one now they’re that good and sell my Rolex.

In a sudden change of events my wife walked in with a blue Casio Duro---I had asked her to be on the look out for one. I wore something similar 20 years ago except that Casio was black face and bezel, had a stainless band, and was made of some sort of plated brass I believe. Maybe I'll just grab a stainless band from somewhere and call it done.

Yeah, I'll still want an automatic. Maybe latter.
thumbnail_IMG_1574.jpg

Top Bottom