What's new

Are electrics really that bad?

In my very short experience with Electric shavers a few years ago i can say they're not effetcive at all. I have a very strong, coarse and heavy beard and after using a top-tier (at the time) shaver, a braun series 7, i simply had a 5 o clock shadow at 10.00 am. So i switched back to carts + brushed and soaps and never looked back

Besides... No electric can shave as close as a blade. With a manual razor (cart or DE or straight) the blade is directly in contact with your skin. With an electric there's always a phisical barrier (foils...rotary ecc). There's simply no comparison. You can have all the gimmicks of the world (14.000 rpm...5 blades, very thin foil... gimmicky "lift & cut systems.... etc etc) but the physical barrier will always remain. So the maximum level of shaving closeness is determined by the thickness of that barrier. You can get "very close" to a blade shave but you can never equal it. I have seen die-hard electric advocates telling me that "after shave the feeling is the same". I think it's just a way to auto-convince themselves because it's physically not possible (for the aforementioned reasons) unless you remove the foils or the rotary cap - not very advisable:biggrin1: And the proof it's in the beard regrowth: with the electrics is much faster just because... the hair has been cut less profoundly. That's it.

Besides... No electric can shave as close as a blade. With a manual razor (cart or DE or straight) the blade is directly in contact with your skin. With an electric there's always a phisical barrier (foils...rotary ecc). There's simply no comparison. You can have all the gimmicks of the world (14.000 rpm...5 blades, very thin foil... gimmicky "lift & cut systems.... etc etc) but the physical barrier will always remain. So the maximum level of shaving closeness is determined by the thickness of that barrier. You can get "very close" to a blade shave but you can never equal it. I have seen die-hard electric advocates telling me that "after shave the feeling is the same". I think it's just a way to auto-convince themselves because it's physically not possible (for the aforementioned reasons) unless you remove the foils or the rotary cap - not very advisable:biggrin1: And the proof it's in the beard regrowth: with the electrics is much faster just because... the hair has been cut less profoundly. That's it.

• You can shave wet with some electric shavers
  • If people are saying it feels the same after the shave then to them it does, if it is smooth to the touch and that is what you want then why does it matter if a blade razor shaves closer?
  • Not everybody can shave against the grain with a blade razor without getting ingrown hairs but they can with an electric, again if it smooth to the touch why does it matter if a blade razor cuts closer potentially causing ingrown hairs.

• You can shave wet with some electric shavers
  • If people are saying it feels the same after the shave then to them it does, if it is smooth to the touch and that is what you want then why does it matter if a blade razor shaves closer?
  • Not everybody can shave against the grain with a blade razor without getting ingrown hairs but they can with an electric, again if it smooth to the touch why does it matter if a blade razor cuts closer potentially causing ingrown hairs.
because if you have ingrown hairs with a blade the culprit is you not the razor. period

Maybe the newer ones which can be used wet are better, but the experience I got from a dry electric shave wasn't great to say the least

Maybe the newer ones which can be used wet are better, but the experience I got from a dry electric shave wasn't great to say the least

As I have said in my replies and in the thread I started most people do not suit electric shavers in my opinion they would get better shaves with a blade razor.

because if you have ingrown hairs with a blade the culprit is you not the razor. period

ymmv

The razor cuts the hair, I would rather not spend ages trying to get an even shave with a blade razor against the grain using light pressure I have a mild razor as well a DE89. I shave within 5 minutes and most of the time under 4 now with an electric.

We are different people, I prefer electric shaving.

Ingrown hairs have very little to do with your shaving technique. They can be mildly irritating, or a serious dermatological condition. The overriding factors for frequency and development are your individual type of facial hair and skin, and secondarily what you use to remove the hair. If you never shave, you are unlikely to develop ingrown hairs - which are essentially a cut hair shaft growing inward beneath the skin. No cut shaft, no ingrowns. Curly hair is more prone, as is stiff hair, and in some cases how the hair is cut - a shaft cut cleanly at an angle leaves a spearpoint tip that is more likely to penetrate the skin growing in the wrong direction. The length of the shaft above the skin makes a difference as well. A less than BBS with an electric may leave you less prone to ingrowns than a perfectly smooth shave with a blade. Or depending on what type of electric you use, you may find more ingrown hairs than shaving with a blade. Your dermatologist may recommend less frequent shaves. For variables, see above. So basically, it's complicated. Just like DE shaving, electric shaving can be a quest to find exactly the right shaver, and the right pre, during and after-shave products. As far as which is better for shaving, for you, as an observation, electrics, DEs, SEs, cartridges and straights all use a blade. And all are capable of giving you a great shave. Just for reference:

Ingrown hairs have very little to do with your shaving technique. They can be mildly irritating, or a serious dermatological condition. The overriding factors for frequency and development are your individual type of facial hair and skin, and secondarily what you use to remove the hair. If you never shave, you are unlikely to develop ingrown hairs - which are essentially a cut hair shaft growing inward beneath the skin. No cut shaft, no ingrowns. Curly hair is more prone, as is stiff hair, and in some cases how the hair is cut - a shaft cut cleanly at an angle leaves a spearpoint tip that is more likely to penetrate the skin growing in the wrong direction. The length of the shaft above the skin makes a difference as well. A less than BBS with an electric may leave you less prone to ingrowns than a perfectly smooth shave with a blade. Or depending on what type of electric you use, you may find more ingrown hairs than shaving with a blade. Your dermatologist may recommend less frequent shaves. For variables, see above. So basically, it's complicated. Just like DE shaving, electric shaving can be a quest to find exactly the right shaver, and the right pre, during and after-shave products. As far as which is better for shaving, for you, as an observation, electrics, DEs, SEs, cartridges and straights all use a blade. And all are capable of giving you a great shave. Just for reference:

For me as long as the shave is basically smooth to the touch I don't care if an electric doesn't technically cut as close as a blade razor.

sorry but i must insist if you use a light pressure and good technique with a cart or a DE you will never get any ingrown hair. I had plenty of that bad experiences until i learned how to shave: using light pressure/studying my beard map/doing 3 passes WTG/XTG/ATG , using a good combination of brushes and soaps. And that problems disappeared. I'm always the same, it's just my technique that has improved. Again, there's no reason to use inferior products (electric shaver) in order to compensate for our bad technique.

If I can shave in 1 pass against the grain and get a smooth shave with an electric in under 5 minutes vs a DE or cart etc that takes at least 3 times as long for the same result but with more irritation how is the electric inferior?

Also
Do you have horizontal growing facial hair that grows towards your ear around your neck, jawline and half way up your cheek?
Do you have oily skin?
Do you have thick but sparse follicles? I have an auburn beard that grows horizontal a part from my chin and moustache area.

Where my hair grows straight down and is denser but thinner in terms of follicles - my sideburn area I would have no issues shaving with a blade razor but most of my facial is not like that and does not grow down.

just to have another proof: yesterday my brother (who's an electric aficionado) let me try his brand-new prestige SP9861, the flagship from philips. The shave was good, i would say under the chin was way better than the panasonic i tried 2 years ago (it's been able to catch some flat hairs much better) but still there's no comparison with the shave i routinely get with my fusions or mach3's. Running my hand WTG it felt perfectly smooth but when i tried ATG it still felt a bit stubbly. I would compare it with a 1-pass WTG with my fusion proglide. But the fact is, when i perform my usual 3-pass shave with the fusion after a good prep and using my favourite combo (Omega brush and tOBS soap) even if i rub my skin ATG i feel ABSOLUTELY NOTHING until 8-9 p.m. so i still have to say there's no comparison at all.

It's battery is much weaker then the Philips oneblade and it cuts 0.1 or 0.2mm further away. Doesn't sound like much but it looks and feels like much, I assure you. There are good comparison videos on YouTube so I won't go into that.

Aa promised, here is a before and after using the Philips oneblade. About 48 hours growth, face lather with omega synth and Gillette Indian cream, plain witch hazel after shave and a spritz of old spice cologne since it's a work day:

View attachment 1040630
View attachment 1040631
it's a matter of perspective. Looking at the second pic TO ME it looks like you nearly didn't shave at all. I can still see the black dots of the hair. But if it's acceptable for you no one can complain.

just to have another proof: yesterday my brother (who's an electric aficionado) let me try his brand-new prestige SP9861, the flagship from philips. The shave was good, i would say under the chin was way better than the panasonic i tried 2 years ago (it's been able to catch some flat hairs much better) but still there's no comparison with the shave i routinely get with my fusions or mach3's. Running my hand WTG it felt perfectly smooth but when i tried ATG it still felt a bit stubbly. I would compare it with a 1-pass WTG with my fusion proglide. But the fact is, when i perform my usual 3-pass shave with the fusion after a good prep and using my favourite combo (Omega brush and tOBS soap) even if i rub my skin ATG i feel ABSOLUTELY NOTHING until 8-9 p.m. so i still have to say there's no comparison at all.

Trying an electric shaver for one shave doesn’t prove anything. You have to use the same one daily for a couple of weeks to allow your beard, skin and your technique to become used to the shaver. That’s why every shaver manufacturer offers at least a 30 day money back guarantee. If you account for the time and effort it takes for your, “good prep using my favourite combo”, and you require to have a very close shave at 8-9 p.m. then just shave agin after coming home from work with the electric. Less time, no water no paraphernalia.

Trying an electric shaver for one shave doesn’t prove anything. You have to use the same one daily for a couple of weeks to allow your beard, skin and your technique to become used to the shaver. That’s why every shaver manufacturer offers at least a 30 day money back guarantee. If you account for the time and effort it takes for your, “good prep using my favourite combo”, and you require to have a very close shave at 8-9 p.m. then just shave agin after coming home from work with the electric. Less time, no water no paraphernalia.
Sorry but I never believed the BS about "you have to give the electric at least 15 days..one months..6 months ...etc" If it shaves , it shaves. If it doesn't shave, it doesn't. Period. That's just marketing BS from the manufacturers. About the shaving again in the afternoon it desn't make sense. Because i would be scratchy again at 10 pm anyway (since , as i said, the closensess lasts just 3 hours or less with the electric for me). And the water is a plus not a minus (for skin health) and 10 minutes vs 4-5 is not a game changer. Electric loses in every department except time (and just for a bunch of minutes). So, NO WAY thanks

Last edited:
All studies (found in MedLine) regarding Pseudofolliculitis barbae (PFB) didn't find any influence of the type of razor. The underlying condition is geneticly predisposed. The only goal is, that someone who is suffering from PFB, has to shave close enough that the hair can't curl and grow back into the skin, as well as not too close that the hair get's trapped (too deep) under the skin. If you cut too deep and the hair curls, it does not matter how soft your skin is, the hair grows like a snail shell and won't come out. This differs very much from person to person (genetics).

Everybody has to find his or her or their way to archieve that. For some the only way is to electric trimm the hair twice a day (or use a Philips One Blade in the morning and evening). For others a two pass shave with a DE or a one pass shave with a Gillette Fusion works, others benefit from an electric shaver (I heard esp. Braun Series 5, because it does not shave too close).

All studies (found in MedLine) regarding Pseudofolliculitis barbae (PFB) didn't find any influence of the type of razor. The underlying condition is geneticly predisposed. The only goal is, that someone who is suffering from PFB, has to shave close enough that the hair can't curl and grow back into the skin, as well as not too close that the hair get's trapped (too deep) under the skin. If you cut too deep and the hair curls, it does not matter how soft your skin is, the hair grows like a snail shell and won't come out. This differs very much from person to person (genetics).

Everybody has to find his or her or their way to archieve that. For some the only way is to electric trimm the hair twice a day (or use a Philips One Blade in the morning and evening). For others a two pass shave with a DE or a one pass shave with a Gillette Fusion works, others benefit from an electric shaver (I heard esp. Braun Series 5, because it does not shave too close).

Not exactly correct regarding what you shave with (the objective being to not shave too closely, leaving the hair shaft below skin level - shaving exclusively lightly with the grain, infrequently, or with an electric may accomplish this. BBS is right out with PFB). But your recommendations are on the mark. Here's a relatively recent article from CCID:

And fairly representative of current research. PFB is distinct from occasional ingrown hairs caused by shaving as a chronic and predictable condition, and usually more severe, but etiologic factors are common, including genetic predisposition (how an individual's hair grows). Some general recommendations from dermatologists:
  • Avoid shaving too closely.
  • Shave in the direction of hair growth rather than “against the grain.”
  • Use a non-irritating shaving cream.
  • Use an electric razor.
  • Avoid pulling skin while shaving.
  • Reduce the frequency of shaving.
  • Replace your razor frequently.
  • Exfoliate with retinoids, glycolic or salicylic acids, or benzoyl peroxides to help clear the follicle opening.

Last edited:
Sorry but I never believed the BS about "you have to give the electric at least 15 days..one months..6 months ...etc" If it shaves , it shaves. If it doesn't shave, it doesn't. Period. That's just marketing BS from the manufacturers. About the shaving again in the afternoon it desn't make sense. Because i would be scratchy again at 10 pm anyway (since , as i said, the closensess lasts just 3 hours or less with the electric for me). And the water is a plus not a minus (for skin health) and 10 minutes vs 4-5 is not a game changer. Electric loses in every department except time (and just for a bunch of minutes). So, NO WAY thanks

Obviously, you can believe what you want to or not. However my experience has shown that for me it takes a few shaves with a different type of shaver to get a really close shave. The shaver manufacturers must agree, otherwise why would they offer a 30 day money back guarantee. It may be that it takes a while for the shaver to adopt his technique to improve the shave. As far as water and skin health goes, I shower right after shaving dry with an electric shaver. If you don’t like using an electric shaver, then don’t.

Sorry but I never believed the BS about "you have to give the electric at least 15 days..one months..6 months ...etc" If it shaves , it shaves. If it doesn't shave, it doesn't. Period. That's just marketing BS from the manufacturers.

I find myself agreeing with you there. Perhaps they think that you'll get used to a shave with an electric razor being substandard.

After disappointments with Philips and Panasonic, I've found my way back to wet shaving with a cartridge (Wilkinson Hydro 5). As long as I can still hold my hands steady enough, I'm going to stick with that.

I have the impression that thirty years ago electric shavers had more powerful motors, and were perhaps less of a toy. Most shavers then worked off the mains voltage and weren't predestined for the bin.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Everyone’s experience can be different. I tried a couple of electric shavers back in the 1980’s and then again in the 1990’s. When I first gave them a run the shaves were terrible. I did not let my face get used to the shaver. I expected a close shave first go and it did not happen. I shaved and shaved until I was happy with the stubble removal but my face was red raw. Terrible rash and flakey skin. I contacted the place of purchase and even made a call to the service centre. Both places told me that you had to let your face get used to the shaver. It would take a small amount of time and patience but you would get results in time. Not straight away but in time. Now electrics have come along way since then. There are rechargeable electrics and electrics that you can use in the shower. We should just use what gives US the best shave be that a DE, an SE, a Straight, a Cartridge or an Electric.

Top Bottom