What's new

Are electrics really that bad?

I just got a Braun series 7 and love it. I still shave with my DEs but the Braun is a great addition to the toolkit.

Congratulations, which model of the series 7 did you buy? I assume you bought one of the new series 7 shavers. Please, give us a review. Is this the shaver you purchased?

Congratulations, which model of the series 7 did you buy? I assume you bought one of the new series 7 shavers. Please, give us a review. Is this the shaver you purchased?

I bought this one:

Braun Electric Razor for Men, Series 7 790cc Electric Shaver with Precision Trimmer, Rechargeable, Wet & Dry Foil Shaver, Clean & Charge Station and Travel Case

It has almost 12,000 reviews on Amazon.

I really just wanted to do under the nose as I sometimes nicked myself there with a DE. It works great under the nose which makes in worth the price of admission. However, I found that shaving the entire face was fun. Not as close as a DE but more than good and I could shave 2 times a day if I want to so closeness is debatable compared to a DE since your frequency of shaving can easily increase with an electric razor.

I use the Braun dry, with Lectric shave, shaving powder or Speick pre-shave. Still experimenting with this.

I will use the electric and my Timeless and Wolfman DEs as well. All in all it's a great addition to my shave den.

I bought this one:

Braun Electric Razor for Men, Series 7 790cc Electric Shaver with Precision Trimmer, Rechargeable, Wet & Dry Foil Shaver, Clean & Charge Station and Travel Case

I really just wanted to do under the nose as I sometimes nicked myself there with a DE. It works great under the nose which makes in worth the price of admission. However, I found that shaving the entire face was fun. Not as close as a DE but more than good and I could shave 2 times a day if I want to so closeness is debatable compared to a DE since your frequency of shaving can easily increase with an electric razor.

I use the Braun dry, with Lectric shave, shaving powder or Speick pre-shave. Still experimenting with this.

I will use the electric and my Timeless and Wolfman DEs as well. All in all it's a great addition to my shave den.
I bought this one:

I have the same one without the cleaning station. It seems like an expensive way to just shave under your nose. However, as you discovered shaving dry takes so little time you can do it twice a day if you need that level of closeness in the evening. I used to use preshave powder a long time ago. However, keeping the humidity in the house down with central AC keeps my face dry and I don’t need anything on my face.

The main reason I don’t shave with any kind of blade is that I always wind up with a bloody mess. It doesn’t matter what kind of razor and shaving cream combination I use. The worst places are on the end of my chin and along my jawbone. I have to use toilet paper to stop the bleeding. Sticking with a foil type electric saves time and is not messy.

Earlier this year I decided to do some research and tried a new model Braun and a Panasonic Arc 5. I tried them both wet and dry, and gave it a month or so. I could get a slightly better shave wet, but as mentioned above, that kind of defeats, for me, the reason to use an electric.

I'd say my best possible electric shave is roughly (pun intended) equivalent to a 1 pass WTG double edge wet shave. No matter how much time or prep, no way I could get BBS as I can with a full 3 pass DE. YMMV, of course.

I decided to keep the Braun just to have another toy. The Panasonic might have shaved slightly better, but caused more irritation. It was returned.

Last edited:
Earlier this year I decided to do some research and tried a new model Braun and a Panasonic Arc 5. I tried them both wet and dry, and gave it a month or so. I could get a slightly better shave wet, but as mentioned above, that kind of defeats, for me, the reason to use an electric.

I'd say my best possible electric shave is roughly (pun intended) equivalent to a 1 pass WTG double edge wet shave. No matter how much time or prep, no way I could get BBS as I can with a full 3 pass DE. YMMV, of course.

I decided to keep the Braun just to have another toy. The Panasonic might have shaved slightly better, but caused more irritation. It was returned.

The last time I had a real barbershop shave was in 1968 and I only remembered that I didn’t have to shave for two days. I doubt that any non straight razor, not in the hand of an expert, can deliver that kind of closeness. My barbershop has suspended shaves until after the pandemic so I can’t give you a recent opinion. Shaving with any electric shaver is not going to be as close as a barbershop shave and probably not as close as a wet SE or DE blade shave. There has to be a screen or slotted metal on an electrical shaver to keep the blades from cutting your skin. Jacob Schik invented the electric shaver to be used by solders dry in the trenches in WWI.

You are correct that shaving wet with an electric does kind of defeat the advantages except for the safety aspect. The beauty of an electric shaver is that it only takes less than five minutes to shave and you can do it anywhere anytime and be ready to go again. If I was going out to a business dinner after work, I could throw my Braun 7893s shaver into my briefcase and shave again before leaving the office.

They are for me. Tried many different brands and styles. Serious razor burn on the neck area, exacerbated by a dress shirt collar. No Mas!

They are for me. Tried many different brands and styles. Serious razor burn on the neck area, exacerbated by a dress shirt collar. No Mas!

Not everything works well for everyone. I had forgotten about dress shirt collars because I haven’t worn a tie in many years. And, when I did I never starched the collars.

I like the Andis pro foil for travel.

I looked it up on Amazon and it has mixed reviews. It appears that the reported exceptional closeness is a result of a very thin and delicate foils. Also, one commenter mentioning having to acclimate his face to the shaver. This probably means that this shaver is rough on the sensitive areas. Have you had any of these issues? Why do you use it only when traveling?

One reason that an electric shaver can’t get as close a shave as one can with a razor blade is that the razor blade is directly in contact with the skin. Electric shavers have a barrier such as a screen or head with slots that the beard has to penetrate to get the blade to cut the hair without cutting your face. Obviously, the main advantage of electric shavers is convience and safety. The convience is not requiring water, a sink nor shaving cream and the safety is in not slicing up your face.

The electric shaver was invented after WWI by Jacob Schick as a dry shaving device. The modern electric shaver will always give a fast, very close, comfortable and safe shave. If you’re looking for a barbershop close shave, then go to a barbershop. Although some electric shavers can be used wet, I find that to be an oxymoron. You may be able to get a closer shave with a DE or SE safety razor than with a straight razor like a barber uses. IMHO If you want baby bottom closeness after five o’clock, then shaving twice in one day with an electric shaver is more convenient and easier than fooling around in the morning with shaving cream, blades, hot water, septic sticks and small pieces of toilet paper to absorbe the blood. A shave with my Braun seven series shaver takes between five and six minutes with no blood being spilled.

Everyone is different and has different skin, beard, schedules, closeness requirements and opinions.

I looked it up on Amazon and it has mixed reviews. It appears that the reported exceptional closeness is a result of a very thin and delicate foils. Also, one commenter mentioning having to acclimate his face to the shaver. This probably means that this shaver is rough on the sensitive areas. Have you had any of these issues? Why do you use it only when traveling?

One reason that an electric shaver can’t get as close a shave as one can with a razor blade is that the razor blade is directly in contact with the skin. Electric shavers have a barrier such as a screen or head with slots that the beard has to penetrate to get the blade to cut the hair without cutting your face. Obviously, the main advantage of electric shavers is convience and safety. The convience is not requiring water, a sink nor shaving cream and the safety is in not slicing up your face.

The electric shaver was invented after WWI by Jacob Schick as a dry shaving device. The modern electric shaver will always give a fast, very close, comfortable and safe shave. If you’re looking for a barbershop close shave, then go to a barbershop. Although some electric shavers can be used wet, I find that to be an oxymoron. You may be able to get a closer shave with a DE or SE safety razor than with a straight razor like a barber uses. IMHO If you want baby bottom closeness after five o’clock, then shaving twice in one day with an electric shaver is more convenient and easier than fooling around in the morning with shaving cream, blades, hot water, septic sticks and small pieces of toilet paper to absorbe the blood. A shave with my Braun seven series shaver takes between five and six minutes with no blood being spilled.

Everyone is different and has different skin, beard, schedules, closeness requirements and opinions.

So I primarily shave with a traditional straight razor 99.99% of the time. That being said there just comes a point that an electric makes sense. I have a whole bunch of electric razors because I kind of went through a phase of trying a lot of them out. There’s no doubt that there are a few that are a little more skin friendly than the one I had mentioned. But if I use a little Lectric Shave combine with the Andis shaver and a very light touch combined with a couple of other special techniques I found that the shaver is quite good. Another couple of factors are simply that it feels quite good in the hand and a lot of barbers have been using these types of shavers for a very long time.

Last edited:
The best of possible worlds - no electricity needed!

vintage-riviera-wind-up-razor-shaver_1_b75218f4bbe13ce01125227991d2aaf2.jpg

I used electrics from just after college until 10 years ago when I started "wet shaving" but I didn't get a close shave. I used a Norelco for most of that time and then switched to a Braun which was better but still not close enough.

I used them because I just didn't enjoy shaving so I used the electric first and then use a cartridge razor to finish up.

After I switched to using a brush, soap, DE and I began to enjoy shaving. I learned to use a straight and I use that now about once a week just for the fun/challenge but mainly I use a DE now.

Now I definitely don't miss the electrics.

I kept a battery-powered electric in my ammo pouch while I was in the Army for touch-up shaves before evening formations and such, but I don't miss those days. Blades are the way to go for me, but if electrics work well for you, go for it.

Everything is ymmv and this is just my opinion it all depends on your skin, follicle and growth pattern as to whether and electric will suit you or not. I believe for the majority of people ( I can not speak for those that have coily / curly hair though ) a blade razor is going to better suit you whereas for me electrics work better + a DE razor for sideburns and to tidy up goatee area if I need to.

Blade
Naturally drier skin type
The individual follicles are thinner but you have more of them / dense beard
A Growth pattern that is mostly straight down

So as you can see I think this covers the majority of people

Electric
Naturally more oily skin
Thicker individual follicles but sparser / less density
- The more skin with less hair means more skin to cut
- The bigger the follicle the bigger the opening / pore the hair comes out of so again probably more prone to irritation with a blade

Non straight down hair growth for example hair that grows sideways / horizontal
I have all of the above - oily /acne prone skin , thicker sparser follicles, horizontal growth pattern it is why I use an electric shaver a Braun 3080s

For me
Blades = ingrown hair, acne, irritation, no shave against grain, holding razor sideways, cuts
Electric = 1 pass shave against grain wet or dry, virtually non of the above, I can hold shaver sideways without thinking about blade angle or cutting myself.

People with coily & curly beard hair might be better off with electric although I can not speak from experience as my facial hair is mostly straight only the odd hair that is a bit curly.

This is just my opinion and observation

Quote Reply

over my many decades of shaving I've tried electrics twice... once a Norelco and once a Braun. Took forever, irritation, and never all that close. A waste of effort. IMHO anyway

Top Bottom