What's new

Are current Rooney 3 band Stubby's well made?

I looking into buying a 3 band heritage stubby 1 from a vendor which could be the an XL 1 but not sure (three rings on handle vs one ring that the regular stubby seem to have from my research). I've heard of shedders from rooney but I can't find any info about the newest batches. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
There are a lot of shedders in the newest Heritage batches. I'd stick with the standard line of brushes. Same Super hair as the current Heritage 3-band hair.

Last edited:
There are a lot of shedders in the newest Heritage batches. I'd stick with the standard line of brushes. Same Super hair as the current Heritage 3-band hair.

Is it really the same hair? Given the price difference, I figured that the hair is different/better in the current Heritage line. Are the Heritage brushes more densely packed?

I returned a heritage stubby 2 because it shed terribly. The hair was hooked at the tip if that helps you compare it to other rooney's. Even if it hadn't shed I wouldn't have been blown away considering the price tag. I have a Rooney pure bristle brush that is a couple of years old that I find softer.

Is it really the same hair? Given the price difference, I figured that the hair is different/better in the current Heritage line. Are the Heritage brushes more densely packed?

I've had hands on experience with 3 recent Heritage 3-bands and just purchased a 1/2 Super and the hair is exactly the same. A vendor also confirmed this for me. Density to me is also the same as the 1/2 Super (or if there is a difference, it is very slight). The heritage models offer different handles and knot sizes..that's about it.

I've had hands on experience with 3 recent Heritage 3-bands and just purchased a 1/2 Super and the hair is exactly the same. A vendor also confirmed this for me. Density to me is also the same as the 1/2 Super (or if there is a difference, it is very slight). The heritage models offer different handles and knot sizes..that's about it.

Very interesting. Thanks for confirming.

I have an older Stubby 2 (not sure of year) Super Badger (single ring around handle). I've got about a dozen brushes and have bought and sold probably close to 10 others. I don't really have a favorite, but if you forced me to pick one I think it would be this one.

I have an older Stubby 2 (not sure of year) Super Badger (single ring around handle). I've got about a dozen brushes and have bought and sold probably close to 10 others. I don't really have a favorite, but if you forced me to pick one I think it would be this one.

Grail brush! Lucky dog

Is it a 3 band Super Badger like this one, or a 2 band?

Mine is amazing and one of the best all around brush I have ever used or owned. It is from the Classic Shaving batch I believe and not current stock.

[emoji106]1:

$IMG_20140808_191402_Large.jpg

Last edited:
I can not answer from experience as I do not own a Rooney and now am very reluctant to purchase one. Most of the articles on Google which people praised Rooney was around 2008. I found nothing subsequent to that in which people praised Rooney as they once did. I contacted the Executive Shave Company in Scotland because the had a page dedicated to a discussion on Rooney but they did not sell them. So I emailed and asked why and the next day they sent me the attached email.

image001.jpg@01CFA65D.F1CB5E00
T: 0141 880 3040
F: 0871 918 7987
E: [email protected]
W: www.executive-shaving.co.uk
10-11 Museum Business Park
Woodhead Road
Glasgow
Scotland
G53 7NN

Dear,

Thankfully we haven’t stocked Rooney brushes for at least 3-years. The reference to Rooney on our home page is a legacy from that time. Our new website launches next month and will contain no reference to Rooney.

We had a run of very poor quality brushes from Rooney, the main problem being excess hair shedding. Rooney refused to honour the refunds / exchanges costs and we were left several £100’s out of pocket.
Where are their brushes made? England? If so, why don’t they publish where they are situated? Personally I doubt very much if their brushes are made in England.

We stock a good selection of high quality brushes including our own brand, Simpson and Muhle: http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving-brushes-3.php

If you reside outside of the EU, we will refund the 20% VAT (sales tax) we pay on all purchases made.

Best Wishes,
Brian

Brian Mulreany
Sales Director and Shaving Expert

I have a bee hive 2 I picked up off bst and I'm not sure what stock it's from, but it hasn't shed and it's the densest scrubbriest brush I own. No scritch

I can not answer from experience as I do not own a Rooney and now am very reluctant to purchase one. Most of the articles on Google which people praised Rooney was around 2008. I found nothing subsequent to that in which people praised Rooney as they once did. I contacted the Executive Shave Company in Scotland because the had a page dedicated to a discussion on Rooney but they did not sell them. So I emailed and asked why and the next day they sent me the attached email.

image001.jpg@01CFA65D.F1CB5E00
T: 0141 880 3040
F: 0871 918 7987
E: [email protected]
W: www.executive-shaving.co.uk
10-11 Museum Business Park
Woodhead Road
Glasgow
Scotland
G53 7NN

Dear,

Thankfully we haven’t stocked Rooney brushes for at least 3-years. The reference to Rooney on our home page is a legacy from that time. Our new website launches next month and will contain no reference to Rooney.

We had a run of very poor quality brushes from Rooney, the main problem being excess hair shedding. Rooney refused to honour the refunds / exchanges costs and we were left several £100’s out of pocket.
Where are their brushes made? England? If so, why don’t they publish where they are situated? Personally I doubt very much if their brushes are made in England.

We stock a good selection of high quality brushes including our own brand, Simpson and Muhle: http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving-brushes-3.php

If you reside outside of the EU, we will refund the 20% VAT (sales tax) we pay on all purchases made.

Best Wishes,
Brian

Brian Mulreany
Sales Director and Shaving Expert

This letter is seriously unprofessional in my opinion. I can understand if they were upset about some past dealings and decided to cease doing business with them. But to float rumors about where the brushes are made out to the public?

Last edited:
I was curious if anyone can confirm the rumor that Lee Sabini passed the production of Rooney brushes to a former assistant/trainee of his.

This letter is seriously unprofessional in my opinion. I can understand if they were upset about some past dealings and decided to cease doing business with them. But to float rumors about where the brushes are made out to the public?
It wasn't divulged on a forum or a social media site, it was a private email sent to a customer who went out of their way to ask the company why they don't deal with Rooney.

The email was not meant to be publicly posted or shared, they gave their reasons and didn't state any facts but rather speculation on where they are made.

I see nothing wrong with the email but don't feel it should have been shared here and people are free to take the info at face value or make their own decisions. If you asked me where Rooney's are made, I'd give a different answer that some may or may not agree with ....in fact, I could give you a specific persons name. :001_cool:

Last edited:
It wasn't divulged on a forum or a social media site, it was a private email sent to a customer who went out of their way to ask the company why they don't deal with Rooney.

The email was not meant to be publicly posted or shared, they gave their reasons and didn't state any facts but rather speculation on where they are made.

I see nothing wrong with the email but don't feel it should have been shared here and people are free to take the info at face value or make their own decisions. If you asked me where Rooney's are made, I'd give a different answer that some may or may not agree with ....in fact, I could give you a specific persons name. :001_cool:

Agree with Bruce. Nothing wrong with that letter at all. Given what probably happened behind the scenes, my guess is that the writer actually restrained himself.

I didn't mind them divulging the part about not honoring refunds. That was factual and it is their choice to put that out there. But a business perpetuating rumors seems unprofessional to me. This wasn't posted directly to social media, but was sent to a stranger, not even a customer. Is it ok for a business to include rumors in their emails to any stranger that asks? We know how easily information ends up getting leaked to social media and then amplified...

Update: Actually, as of today, they modified their web site and have posted the rumor publicly:

$Screen Shot 2014-10-20 at 2.24.12 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Wow...they must feel strongly about it, to put publicly on their site.

I wonder if it was done After it was posted here?

Top Bottom