What's new

Are creams less drying than soaps?

Those with dry skin, do you find creams less drying than soaps? I'm big on artisan products but there isn't much in the way of artisan creams (please don't say Nancy Boy b/c they don't ship to Canada :( ). Looking for some more natural or organic recommendations also your thoughts on soaps vs creams in terms of dry skin/irritation.

Last edited:
I think creams are a little less drying than soaps. Some of the big name manufacturers have good shave creams.
They come in interesting fragrances as well. One of my favorites is C&E Almond if it is still available.

i am also a fan of Noxzema Medicated Cream. It isn't a shave cream per SE but works well. Additionally, you can use it as a pre shave or leave some on under your regular shave cream or soap. It's wonderful stuff.

I have had both creams and soaps dry my face and have had both leave my face feeling very moist afterwards. I don't think it has as much to do with the vehicle as it does the actual formulation. Find the brand/formula that works for your skin type, either soap or cream, and enjoy.

As above, I think some are just better than others as far as companies go. Add a little more water to soap than you would cream, and most times it ends up balancing out.

s far as leaving my skin feeling a little more moisturized after shaving,I've generally had better luck with creams .With the exception of SMN,which is more of a soap than cream to me.It usually leaves my skin in very good shape(moisturized). By the way,do many soaps or creams have any lanolin in them anymore? Years ago,at least for me, it was a fairly good moisturizer. However,quite often it made my skin break out in a rash !

Craig

I have had both creams and soaps dry my face and have had both leave my face feeling very moist afterwards. I don't think it has as much to do with the vehicle as it does the actual formulation. Find the brand/formula that works for your skin type, either soap or cream, and enjoy.

Well stated. I have found many soaps and creams that have great moisturizing properties...and some that were just awful. I notice brand is usually the deciding factor with some exceptions here and there. If i were to generalize, i find that the higher quality slick soaps with tallow usually moisturize better for me, and the low end creams are the worst when it comes to dryness. Do your homework and spend a couple hours on the forum and i think you will find plenty of creams and soaps that fall into both categories, then have fun with trial and error!

+2

If it's any help, here are creams that have (for me, YMMV) a particularly good post-shave feel: Simpson's and Musgo Real. Soaps with good post-shave feel: Haslinger (especially Schafmilch), Strop Shoppe, Soap Commander, Stirling.

There are of course, many others; perhaps other gents will recommend some, too.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Which creams, which soaps?

I have dry skin, so I always follow the WH with moisturizer. Having said that, I find Castle Forbes cream and ABC soap both leave me with an excellent finish. Both are initially expensive, but both require much less product than the norm.

With the exception of SMN,which is more of a soap than cream to me.It usually leaves my skin in very good shape(moisturized).

SMN is pretty dense, sort of like a soap, but the ingredients put it squarely in cream territory. It stands to reason it would leave you feeling like a cream does, rather than a soap.

Per the OP, I've always preferred creams over soaps for their face feel after the shave; this includes lack of drying, but isn't limited to it.

I find certain soaps less drying, as ABC Soap and C&S 88, however for me, I find the Cremes better in almost every way. Love SMN and AdP for face feel and finish and moisturizing

Top Bottom