What's new

Are cartridge razor blades just mulltiple, milder blades?

Whereas a safety razor or straight razor is one more aggressive blade?

Is that right?

By milder I mean angle I guess. And blade gap.

Just wondered if you guys thought I got this right!

In my experience, the main difference is that the plastic frame of a cartridge lets you press hard and still not get close enough to cut the skin. A safety razor has no such frame and if you press too hard you're likely to get an irritation or cut. So, a cartridge is safer but won't let you get the closest possible shave. A DE will let you get as close as you want, but has no frame to stop you from cutting yourself.

My thoughts are the cartridge blades work in conjunction with a pivoting head to provide an optimal blade angle in most situations. Combined with the cartridge providing an artificial blade gap or setback that @rff000 mentioned makes for a consistent shave with minimal skill investment.

The blades are just as sharp, maybe more sharp than a DE. But designed to work a little differently than DE. My best shaves, most consistency over time have always been a twin blade cart. First Trac II, the original Atra sans lube strip, and now the Skinguard. More than 2 blades equates to no more improvement but irritating shaving.

Shaved with just about everything in my almost half century of shaving. While DE is nostalgic and I fondly remember them, a good twin blade is a better shaving experience for me personally.

I have two shaving implements that I use on a regular basis. A Schick injector and a twin-blade Trac II style injector. Both give excellent shaves with no irritation. I prefer the injector over a DE as it rarely cuts.

Reactions: ctr
I have two shaving implements that I use on a regular basis. A Schick injector and a twin-blade Trac II style injector. Both give excellent shaves with no irritation. I prefer the injector over a DE as it rarely cuts.

That's my experience as well. The type J and M injectors are really good shavers as far as a blade goes. I prefer them to double edge razors.

After having a bit longer to experiment with cartridge razors again... hm. I find they feel strange and they do tug. I use it for light touching up of some areas of my face as they quite mild and simple to use but for the bulk of the shave I use a safety razor.

Afaik remember the blades themselves are different edge wise, some have an L profile to be more ridged with so little material.
the construction more or less locks the proper angle which is good.
unfortunately anything more than 2,3 blades and a lubra strip gives me irritation.
would not mind a cart with 2 blades and a rear blade without lubra strip fitting on the Mach handle

now if you want a single pivot try a Broman (if you can find one).

I am coming to the conclusion that 5 blades almost always is past the point of diminishing returns. The head size means that the tightest work (such as by the nose) needs to be done with the trimmer blade (if it has one). I have recently tried the King C. Gillette (Fusion), Bic Us on Mach 3 handle (Mach 5) and Bulldog on Quattro handle (Quattro 5). I like the Bic Us the best of those three. I don't think any of them is much faster or better than an injector, in most regards. With the injector, I am unsure whether a twin or double blade is that much better. The jury has been out on that for the last 15 years or so. When I started using an injector, twin blades were not readily available in the US anymore. I have always preferred the ease of an injector to DE, but try everything I can find. Thus, trying these new razors when on discount. The Bulldog is interesting as it seems to have no lube strip. The new coatings on the blades of all these razors mean they have good longevity.

Top Bottom