What's new

Are brown shoes with a gray suit appropriate for an interview?

I have Googled this and have found varying opinions. This leads me to believe that it might be best to stick with black shoes just to be safe. Thoughts?

I was taught that black shoes are appropriate will most if not all colors of the suit. If you are trying to project a conservative image, go with black.

Black is safer. I do like brown and gray though.

RJ - Chicago
Posted from my phone, please forgive typos.

Whatever you go with, an investment in a $3.00 can of shoe polish and a little elbow grease will probably do just as much (if not more) to impress as the color. A dull pair of black shoes just look cheap, sloppy, and, in my opinion, demonstrate a lack of ability to pay attention to detail. Looking put together and squared away is in the details and less about colors or quality/expense of the goods you're wearing.

Black is the most conservative out of the conservative choices of shoes.
But I'd also wear Dark Grey or Very Dark Brown with a grey suit.
Possibly Navy Blue too

For me....

Black/Grey suit needs Black shoes
Beige/Brown suit needs Brown shoes Suit

YSMV = Your Style May Vary

Not my style, but I think it can look nice. The key is that if you will be self-conscious about the decision, then go with black instead. I've always stuck with black shoes to go with black and gray pants. Brown shoes for eartones. Navy pants can go with either.

I agree. I only like brown shoes with brown pants. Black with everything else for me.

Good to see you back, by the way!

I was taught that black shoes are appropriate will most if not all colors of the suit. If you are trying to project a conservative image, go with black.

I feel that a dark grey suit goes with black shoes and burgundy shoes only. I'd only wear brown with a medium or light grey suit.

Black is safer. Personally, I would never wear brown shoes with grey trousers.

Gentlemen may wear brown shoes on a Friday, on the assumption they will be travelling later that day to their country home, but it's inadavisable on other days :001_smile

I have Googled this and have found varying opinions. This leads me to believe that it might be best to stick with black shoes just to be safe. Thoughts?

Black is more formal. You can do brown, but it is more casual, think Sunday brunch post-wedding...

Top Bottom