What's new

Are bow ties "dressier"

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've often worn neckties, and recently have taken to wearing bow ties as well on a fairly regular basis.

One thing I've experienced is getting compliments on my bow ties, the general theme being that I'm "dressier" or "spiffier"
than usual, because of the bow tie instead of the necktie.

Now, I've long realised that bow ties have a bit of an "oddball" vibe to them, but thought them "on par with" or even slightly below neckties on the "dressing formality scale", as it were. (I'm not talking about "white tie" and tuxedo "black tie", mind you!!)

Whatcha think?

I put them on equal planes for "dressiness" outside of the tuxedo. I'd never personally wear one...neck size and large goatee would really make it pointless. I would like to rock and ascot and captain's hat once...just once on the deck of a boat that's not mine, drinking gin and tonics somewhere with white sand beaches.

I've been wearing bow ties since 1989. Definitely feel they are dressier and give a vibe of "I'm dressed up, but somewhat of a non-conformist."

I don't think they are more or less dressy... it really depends on the event, the dress and the tie itself. Like BSAGuy said though, "I'm dressed up, but somewhat of a non-conformist." I put them on equal planes dressyness-wise, but the bow tie does have that quirk factor. I wear them all the time at work (waiter) and often get compliments on them... probably more compliments than my neckties get. But side by side, same outfit, same pattern, same colour, I think they are as dressy as each other.

Obviously they're dressier in the context of black/white tie.

However, in daily usage, I'd say they're more fashion-forward and therefore slightly less formal than a straight tie. Wearing one makes you look a little quirky or professorial, which can be a good or bad thing depending on the context and how you wear it.

I would say out of context of the tuxedo, they're just a hair less dressy. Definitely different, I get a lot of "hey professor" comments. IMO if you're going for a power suit i don't think a bow tie would work as well. If you're going for looking more professional, knowledgeable, etc. that will work. I.e take for instance Bert Cooper in Mad Men, he always wore a bow tie, compare with Draper and Sterling and you might see more where I'm getting at.

I went out to lunch yesterday and the waitress looked at my bow tie and said that it looked very snazzy. My wife insisted that I give a good tip to a young woman who actually knew the meaning of snazzy.
I have come to only wear bow ties so they are, in my opinion, just as dressy as neck ties. All of my neckties are being ripped apart for use as day cravats now. In fact I am wearing a day cravat made from an old necktie right now.

Top Bottom