What's new

Are "Bones" pipes worth the hype?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nah. Not my job. My job is buy it, fill it, smoke it. Or get my money back and buy, fill, smoke something else.

What the seller does with the pipe is up to them. What the next owner does with it, is up to them. What Morgan does when it reappears elsewhere on the net, is up to him. I'm not ending up stuck in the middle, with different people offering different solutions. I'll get the cash back, buy a better pipe at a lower price from somewhere else, and move on. Job done. :)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've ordered a replacement pipe.

What I was hoping for from thus Bones, was a bent Dublin/Zulu type sitter. It's a pipe shape I've been looking for, for quite a while now. As it doesn't seem to be a regular in the low budget pipes, and I could be waiting years, I've decided to order a non-sitter that shouldn't need much work to create a stable flat bottom.

TDS1754-767x665.jpg

Parker sandblast flat stem horn. I think the "flat stem", actually means oval, but it should mean less sanding is needed to flatten the underside to get it to sit. If nothing else, it mught mean that an actual flat bottomed cheap Zulu will show up, once I've spent the time and money on something else. :001_rolle

I won't mind taking abrasives to this, as it's only a £25 sitter, not the £55 that the Bones cost. Also, I've bought several of these cheap Parkers before, some of which (topplers) have moved on, but I still have four (sitters) left, so I know it will be built symmetrical and properly drilled too.

So for you to count it as a sitter, does it have to stay perfectly straight up? I ask because I have a couple in the prince shape that will lean, but not fall over. It'll lean, but won't spill any tobacco out.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
So for you to count it as a sitter, does it have to stay perfectly straight up? I ask because I have a couple in the prince shape that will lean, but not fall over. It'll lean, but won't spill any tobacco out.

It has to not fall over. That rules out the vast majority of pipes for me. Some which are not 100% true sitters may get a pass though.

For example, a cob doesn't sit completely flat on its base, as the stem will rest on the table, or whatever. That's fine, as I can have the stem overhanging the table if I want. Same applies with my slightly bent poker/cherrywood. The Ben Wade Banjo and Mr Brog Chocla aren't flat bottomed and so may lean slightly dependent on the surface it's sat on.

I think as received, the Parker Horn will most likely fall over, but I intend on sanding a flat spot so it doesn't. The larger radius due to the oval shank, should mean I have to sand less off than I might on a pipe with a round shank, which is why I chose it. If it does actually have a flat underside already, that will be a very cool bonus.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I definitely prefer sitter pipes as well.

They are all I'll smoke now. I got rid of everything else. I did try to get over my aversion to topplers, but having to prat around with stands, or propping stuff up with whatever is to hand, just got far too tedious, and impaired my enjoyment.

It might seem trivial to many smokers, but if they only smoked sitters for a year, they may well find topplers a chore to go back to as well.

Top Bottom