What's new

Are big dollars creams THAT good?

I don't know why creams should be preferred to soaps. If the question included soaps I'd say a resounding yes. Cheap scents are just that - cheap. For the great scents in soaps and creams you need to go to the artisans. More variety, better ingredients including essential oils, and some scents that really fire your imagination. For me all soaps perform - that's the boring bit - but good scents really stand out from the mass-produced ones like Cella, Arko and Tabac.
I have tried some soaps, Stirling and Barrister Reserve being the standouts . But I’ve also been disappointed big time by scents like Wholly Kaw for example.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have tried some soaps, Stirling and Barrister Reserve being the standouts . But I’ve also been disappointed big time by scents like Wholly Kaw for example.

I've tried not all but a good many of the Wholly Kaw scents, in samples, and not liked them. I really like the scent of Wholly Kaw's King of Oud.

I'm not a cream guy. I like soaps. I'm sure soaps are like creams and creams are like soaps in that the end result is getting a great match between the product, your skin, your whiskers, your nose, your preferences, and your pocketbook.

Samples of most things are available either through vendors or sample services (paid) or through B&B friends.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've tried not all but a good many of the Wholly Kaw scents, in samples, and not liked them. I really like the scent of Wholly Kaw's King of Oud.

I'm not a cream guy. I like soaps. I'm sure soaps are like creams and creams are like soaps in that the end result is getting a great match between the product, your skin, your whiskers, your nose, your preferences, and your pocketbook.

Samples of most things are available either through vendors or sample services (paid) or through B&B friends.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Getting off topic a bit here haha but King of Oud was nice as I loaded it up and used it vs. sniffing it out of the tub. I’m still keep on Stirling soaps though for what ever reason. The Barrister Reserve is the fastest soap to make a lather tnat I’ve ever used , almost like a cream in that regard and is an awesome performer .

SJOL sells a sample pack on their website for about $10.

St James of London Samples - Samples - St. James of London

To your question; I haven't tried Ultimate Comfort but both Xpec and SMN were "wow!" shaving moments for me, and I rarely get that from shaving products. The shave and post shave experience are without question top tier, for me. As someone else mentioned Proraso Single Blade is very good, but not quite up there with Xpec or SMN. Again, for me. Given the price points I would hold out for samples to make sure they meet your expectations, I have blind bought quite a few highly regarded and recommended shave soaps/creams only to be left with a feeling of "meh" or "really?" or a red/irritated face. As they say, YMMV.

If I had some to give I'd happily send you samples. Perhaps put a "Seeking Samples" post on the BST?
It's a great deal for the money. Get to try all the creams from SJOL.

Top Bottom