What's new

Are big dollars creams THAT good?

looking at Cpec and Santa Maria Novella etc. and any creams over $40 ,are they that much better than T&H Ultimate Comfort creams as an example? I’ve been trying to find samples to test , but coming up short , so I ask, users , worth it? What justifies that hefty price tag?

Performance I hold them almost equal to quality creams (not low dollar economy creams) where the big dollar creams shine is some offer the classiest jars or the nicest subtle touch or menthol or the most refined rounded scent you could ask for etc. take fragrances for example , many clones out there for Aventus but none are equal , I think the same applies generally speaking to the finer scented creams the high end offers just seem to have that wonderful complete package but at what cost , is it worth the money , that’s for you to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scent for me. Of course, performance is good. Is it better than TandH? Probably not much if any. Wait for a sale and satisfy your curiosity...... Xpec smells amazing to me.

Performance I hold them almost equal to quality creams (not low dollar economy creams) where the big dollar creams shine is some offer the classiest jars or the nicest subtle touch or menthol or the most refined rounded scent you could ask for etc. take fragrances for example , many clones out there for Aventus but none are equal , I think the same applies generally speaking to the finer scented creams the high end offers just seem to have that wonderful complete package but at what cost , is it worth the money , that’s for you to decide.

What brand gives you that touch

Citrusy, neroli and leather to me. But I’m terrible at describing scent. It’s strong though, and that I love.

Not high dollar by any means but to go the other way and you want the total package at a budget price proraso single blade cypress and vetiver is a great cream , scent and performance , kind of like tobs sandalwood is for me as well.

Not high dollar by any means but to go the other way and you want the total package at a budget price proraso single blade cypress and vetiver is a great cream , scent and performance , kind of like tobs sandalwood is for me as well.

I’ve tried it, I liked the blue one a bit more but it’s a bit lacking in post shave feel for me personally.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I know you said you recommended the orange one as a summer scent. Going to see if I can find a sample on line somewhere. I appreciate your input per usual!

SJOL sells a sample pack on their website for about $10.

St James of London Samples - Samples - St. James of London

To your question; I haven't tried Ultimate Comfort but both Xpec and SMN were "wow!" shaving moments for me, and I rarely get that from shaving products. The shave and post shave experience are without question top tier, for me. As someone else mentioned Proraso Single Blade is very good, but not quite up there with Xpec or SMN. Again, for me. Given the price points I would hold out for samples to make sure they meet your expectations, I have blind bought quite a few highly regarded and recommended shave soaps/creams only to be left with a feeling of "meh" or "really?" or a red/irritated face. As they say, YMMV.

If I had some to give I'd happily send you samples. Perhaps put a "Seeking Samples" post on the BST?

Last edited:
I don't know why creams should be preferred to soaps. If the question included soaps I'd say a resounding yes. Cheap scents are just that - cheap. For the great scents in soaps and creams you need to go to the artisans. More variety, better ingredients including essential oils, and some scents that really fire your imagination. For me all soaps perform - that's the boring bit - but good scents really stand out from the mass-produced ones like Cella, Arko and Tabac.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have never tried a high end shaving cream. Thought about it once but the price put me off.

I have never tried a high end shaving cream. Thought about it once but the price put me off.
Curiosity eventually got the better of me. I was quite worried when I first bought a couple nice creams and soaps, but they are usually pretty good stuff. I didn’t regret spending a little more in the end. I still like some cheaper options just as much as the top shelf choices.

I’ve been at this since around 2006 , I’ve tried everything , I find that now that I’ve tried it all I enjoy using anything now , if I have a high end tub of xpec I’m happy , if I use proraso I’m happy. It all results in a good shave , I don’t judge a soap or cream on post shave as it’s not it’s job to do imo , a soap or cream is to create a slickness for the razor to glide on the skin , a post shave product is intended for the post shave properties. Though some creams and soaps do offer a great post shave where no further product is needed , that’s now how I purchase my items , or intend to change my routine for.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I’ve been at this since around 2006 , I’ve tried everything , I find that now that I’ve tried it all I enjoy using anything now , if I have a high end tub of xpec I’m happy , if I use proraso I’m happy. It all results in a good shave , I don’t judge a soap or cream on post shave as it’s not it’s job to do imo , a soap or cream is to create a slickness for the razor to glide on the skin , a post shave product is intended for the post shave properties. Though some creams and soaps do offer a great post shave where no further product is needed , that’s now how I purchase my items , or intend to change my routine for.

Post shave feel is important to me. Like you said, it's difficult to find a really poor shaving product. The post shave aspect is what sets them apart and matters to what stays in my den.

Top Bottom