What's new

are barrister mann shave soaps worth it?

Nordost might be my favorite soap, and it’s from B&M. Best orange fragrance available, full stop.

It is also quite slick and has some moisturizing post shave effects too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nordost might be my favorite soap, and it’s from B&M. Best orange fragrance available, full stop.

It is also quite slick and has some moisturizing post shave effects too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might have to pick up a tub of Nordost. I have sensitivity issues with lemon, lime and grapefruit based scents, but not with orange and bergamot.

All of the B&M bases are or have been thirsty afaik. My experience with Clusterfig in the Excelsior base is that it takes seemingly forever to hydrate fully but has outstanding slickness once you get it there. I didn't have to make a big mess to do it, either. In any case, I got 76 shaves out of my jar of Clusterfig yielding a usage rate of 1.49g/shave and a cost of $0.28/shave. I liked the scent, but wasn't ga-ga over it.

I personally love B&M soaps. All the scents are amazing but my favorites are Cool, Beaudelaire, Nordost, and Seville. I’ve sampled most of them but those are just classics and I feel the performance is equal to declaration grooming, A&E, or Zingari. Yeah, they can be thirsty but there’s plenty of water.

I like them. Le Grand Chypre smells nice and shaves well and post shave is good too. Nordost also smells very good but I haven't used it yet. I've got Ravish on the way. So yeah, I like B&M soap and think they're worth it.

B&M are the only non-"traditional"**, new'ish soap makers I use. I tend to stick with MdC, SV, SMN (been out of this cream for 6+months now though), etc. on the so-called high end, and La Toja, Arko, Proraso, etc. on the economical end.

**LOL, how long does an artisan need to be doing their thing before being considered a long-standing, "traditional" artisan? I have no clue.

B&M are the only non-"traditional"**, new'ish soap makers I use. I tend to stick with MdC, SV, SMN (been out of this cream for 6+months now though), etc. on the so-called high end, and La Toja, Arko, Proraso, etc. on the economical end.

**LOL, how long does an artisan need to be doing their thing before being considered a long-standing, "traditional" artisan? I have no clue.

good question.......but I would declare that they have arrived there!!!

camo

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
The Soft Heart Series base (Diamond scent) is truly elite-level. If you like soap which creates a glue-like consistency, with incredible glide and cushion, and post-shave softness, this soap deserves your attention.

0AFB96A7-BFC4-44E2-A3D0-FB9D9EDA57C5.jpeg

I really like B&M—the soaps perform really well (I’m most familiar with the excelsior base). Having said that, I do find them pricey because it’s 4 ounces and I tend to get about two months of daily shaves from one. By comparison, Proraso in the tub will last me 3 months and Stirling lasts me 4 months; I can’t say how long my triple milled soaps last... You could say Stirling and B&M are about the same price, but cost per shave B&M is double. Great soap, great scents, but pricey from my POV.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Worth it? Pricewise no, @AZBronco pretty much nailed it. Most North American artisan soaps are not well cured (they have a lot of water in them), and go fast. Two months for a tub? How about almost two years? Granted, he is using a Wee Scott.

That said, I do like white tub Seville and Cheshire.

Top Bottom