What's new

Are Badgers and Boars raised in New Jersey to Make Shaving Brushes?

I live in suburban New Jersey and unbeknownst to my neighbors I have a small badger farm on my tiny postage stamp property. I have committed myself to a humane approach at harvesting hair for badger brushes and decided to turn it into a renewable resource. What I do is enlist a few of my closest friends to come over and drink a bottle of scotch with me. We then have a couple guys put on oven mitts and they tackle a badger and hold him down while another one of us uses an electric trimmer to shave the badger bald. They really look quite funny with no hair you know. Afterwards, we take the one with the worst lacerations to the hospital and make a story about drinking and stupid games and such so as to not attract any attention. And our hairs are sold to Paladin, Wolf Whiskers and Art of Shaving. Personally, I've stopped using a brush and just grab a badger from the pen and use that. I prefer to go organic. But we haven't found a way to sell those to normal users without the risk of litigation so, yeah. Funny thing is some of my neighbors have been asking me if I've seen their little dogs around lately. I hate dogs and won't go near the things.

I live in suburban New Jersey and unbeknownst to my neighbors I have a small badger farm on my tiny postage stamp property. I have committed myself to a humane approach at harvesting hair for badger brushes and decided to turn it into a renewable resource. What I do is enlist a few of my closest friends to come over and drink a bottle of scotch with me. We then have a couple guys put on oven mitts and they tackle a badger and hold him down while another one of us uses an electric trimmer to shave the badger bald. They really look quite funny with no hair you know. Afterwards, we take the one with the worst lacerations to the hospital and make a story about drinking and stupid games and such so as to not attract any attention. And our hairs are sold to Paladin, Wolf Whiskers and Art of Shaving. Personally, I've stopped using a brush and just grab a badger from the pen and use that. I prefer to go organic. But we haven't found a way to sell those to normal users without the risk of litigation so, yeah. Funny thing is some of my neighbors have been asking me if I've seen their little dogs around lately. I hate dogs and won't go near the things.
Do the subsequent growth hairs come back with increased backbone and softer, whiter tips? Ha!

Do the subsequent growth hairs come back with increased backbone and softer, whiter tips? Ha!

Yes!!! Exactly!!!! We stand behind our gel tips!

I only buy organic grass fed badger hair brushes where they played friendly with others.

We only feed our badgers the best NJ grown grass. And if you came to visit our facility it looks just like those doggie daycare spas where rich people take their dogs to play. Our badgers all get along with each other and can be seen frolicking underneath the tarps we use to make sure no one knows the operation is even there. And in case you were thinking of coming to sneak around and peak through the fence, it's electrified with 7,000 volts of the best electricity. Only the best for our badgers.

Yes!!! Exactly!!!! We stand behind our gel tips!

We only feed our badgers the best NJ grown grass. And if you came to visit our facility it looks just like those doggie daycare spas where rich people take their dogs to play. Our badgers all get along with each other and can be seen frolicking underneath the tarps we use to make sure no one knows the operation is even there. And in case you were thinking of coming to sneak around and peak through the fence, it's electrified with 7,000 volts of the best electricity. Only the best for our badgers.

How come nobody makes a honey badger brush? A real man would use a live honey badger to lather his face.

How come nobody makes a honey badger brush? A real man would use a live honey badger to lather his face.

Very funny. You think we're stupid? Honey badgers are considered the "world's most fearless animal" by the Guinness Book of World Records. Our badgers are relatively tame by comparison. I think you're trying to disparage our awesomely humane and gentle operation. Oops. Gotta run. Billy wasn't wearing his oven mitts. Big problem.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Got my curiosity going.

It's my understanding badgers are farmed as food in China and the hair goes to the cosmetic brush industry. Its a huge industry too.

There are dozens, if in fact not many more, Chinese manufacturing plants that make brushes for the entire cosmetic industry. One such manufacturing plant, on its own, can supply up to 10,000,000 units per month.

Honey badgers are considered the "world's most fearless animal" by the Guinness Book of World Records.

They obviously havent met a Wolverine lol.

0d08f279934d6d91fe667c54ad7c8438dc524f15.png

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
We then have a couple guys put on oven mitts and they tackle a badger and hold him down while another one of us uses an electric trimmer to shave the badger bald.
Interesting, I have always waxed the Badger rather than using clippers.

Very funny. You think we're stupid? Honey badgers are considered the "world's most fearless animal" by the Guinness Book of World Records. Our badgers are relatively tame by comparison. I think you're trying to disparage our awesomely humane and gentle operation. Oops. Gotta run. Billy wasn't wearing his oven mitts. Big problem.

Just making sure you were legit with your humane efforts! Speaking of humane efforts, there’s one thing I won’t do though and that’s eating boneless chickens. I once went to a boneless chicken farm and it was horrible. Chickens laying around and draped over clothes lines and just flappin in the wind. I’m boycotting boneless chickens. Who’s with me?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yes, pigs and badger are killed and their hair is used for brushes (I guess, as a side product we get bacon...). I have never heard that they are just "shaved" them to get their hair. Horse hair on the other hand is a renewable resource, and comes from both ends: tail and mane. Horse hair grows quite fast, so the mane and the tails get trimmed on a regular basis.
Thank you, @Rudy Vey :)

Recipe from the french cookbook "Les cuisines oubliées"

To cook one badger you’ll need:

1 badger
1 glass of pig’s blood
1 small glass of armagnac
1 ginger root
1 bottle of dry, sparkling white wine
2 eggs
1 pot of crème fraîche
salt and pepper
500g forest mushrooms OR chestnuts to accompany
100g butter
oil
Eviscerate and skin your badger, and soak it in a fast-flowing river for at least 48 hours. This will help you to de-grease it more easily.
Once the badger is de-greased, cut it into pieces and brown it in a frying pan with butter. When the pieces are golden and stiff, flambée with the armanac, season and add a grated soup-spoon of ginger, fresh if possible.
Pour over the wine, and simmer gently for at least two hours.
At the end of the cooking time, mix the chopped badger liver (cooked beforehand in a little oil), the glass of blood, two egg yolks, a coffee-spoon of ginger and the crème fraîche, and pour into the cooking dish. Serve immediately.
This dish goes well with wild mushrooms or chestnuts.

Just making sure you were legit with your humane efforts! Speaking of humane efforts, there’s one thing I won’t do though and that’s eating boneless chickens. I once went to a boneless chicken farm and it was horrible. Chickens laying around and draped over clothes lines and just flappin in the wind. I’m boycotting boneless chickens. Who’s with me?

OMG. That sounds like something right out of a Salvador Dali painting.

Top Bottom