What's new

Are Astra blades still a top choice?

I started out with Astras, but moved on to other blades to try. My memory was that they were a good blade. Several months later, I tried them again and was disappointed in them. They weren’t very sharp and I had to make so many passes I ended up with irritation. I think that tuck is still here someplace.

I find it difficult to get a comfortable shave with both Astra SP and SS blades. Astra seems not sharp enough for me, feather is too aggressive and gives me irritation. Personna Israeli Red however is my sweet spot. Sharp, smooth and long lasting - up to 7 days per blade without pushing it. Everyone is different but I would highly recommend giving them a go and they are not too expensive.
Personna IR and Polsilver SI are my two favorite blades. I put a high premium on smoothness.

I find Astra SP to be a very good blade. Along with Feather (requires more care while shaving than Astra as I find it the sharpest) and Nacet (not as sharp as Feather or Astra but smooth), it’s one of my three go-to blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a top-up of 100 Astra SP earlier this year, and they were still good, tucks date-stamped 03/20, and indistinguishable from my oldest stock dated 06/18.

I get great results with them, but it is YMMV, as others have said.

I started out with Astras, but moved on to other blades to try. My memory was that they were a good blade. Several months later, I tried them again and was disappointed in them. They weren’t very sharp and I had to make so many passes I ended up with irritation. I think that tuck is still here someplace.

I had the same experience with the ASPs. I used to think they worked great for me, switched to other blades, loaded a new ASP and had more irritation from a shave than I have had in many months.

So far it seems that the Astra SS outperform the SP for most people. I have seen them mentioned on other sites; always just the SPs. To be honest, I didn't even know they existed. lol
Based on how I've used the blade sharpness data on Refined Shave to dial in my preferred blades (which I can explain if you want, I'm trying to keep this post brief) and with you saying the Treet Platinum is a bit too mild for you, I would suggest trying the Astra Superior Stainless. This will be a sharp-ER blade, without getting to far from the Treet Platinum. The Personna Israeli Red would be notch sharper than the Astra SS, while the Gillette Nacet a notch higher than the Israeli Red.

Of course overall sharpness is not the only factor that comes into this decision and nothing will actually answer the question except more experimentation. Just tossing out what I feel are some logical suggestions.

I’ve tried both the platinum and stainless versions and the stainless work better for me. For whatever reason I seem to get better results from stainless blades over platinums in general regardless of brand

Based on how I've used the blade sharpness data on Refined Shave to dial in my preferred blades (which I can explain if you want, I'm trying to keep this post brief) and with you saying the Treet Platinum is a bit too mild for you, I would suggest trying the Astra Superior Stainless. This will be a sharp-ER blade, without getting to far from the Treet Platinum. The Personna Israeli Red would be notch sharper than the Astra SS, while the Gillette Nacet a notch higher than the Israeli Red.

Of course overall sharpness is not the only factor that comes into this decision and nothing will actually answer the question except more experimentation. Just tossing out what I feel are some logical suggestions.
The Astra SS seems like a good choice, but now, after looking at the data on the Refined Shave, I'm also interested in the Nacets. They seem a small bit sharper and the edge seems to remain sharp for at least 2 head shaves (as was how they were tested on the website). They are almost double what the Astras cost though, so I'm not sure if the price difference is warranted by the seemingly increased sharpness. The Personna Reds are a little too expensive considering how much the other two cost, based on Am...n prices.

I may still try a variety pack, but to try those 3 blades (5 each) would cost as much or more as 100 Astra SS blades. Doesn't seem fair. :lol1:

The Astra SS seems like a good choice, but now, after looking at the data on the Refined Shave, I'm also interested in the Nacets. They seem a small bit sharper and the edge seems to remain sharp for at least 2 head shaves (as was how they were tested on the website). They are almost double what the Astras cost though, so I'm not sure if the price difference is warranted by the seemingly increased sharpness. The Personna Reds are a little too expensive considering how much the other two cost, based on Am...n prices.

I may still try a variety pack, but to try those 3 blades (5 each) would cost as much or more as 100 Astra SS blades. Doesn't seem fair. :lol1:
I can PIF you a few Astra Stainless and Gillette Nacet blades, assuming you're CONUS. You might like the Personna Crystal blades as well (my personal favorite), so if you want to give those a try...

Send me a PM if interested.

Anyone have a problem with counterfeit Astras?

I actually stopped buying Astra SPs because the last two boxes I bought I think are fakes. There is no logo and they shave terrible. So I moved on to Gillette Silver Blues.

I posted here about it on another thread

Top Bottom