What's new

Are Astra blades still a top choice?

Hello everyone. Are the Astras still a top choice for a razor blade? I've read people saying that quality has severely declined since Gillette bought the company. Previously, they were known for their sharpness and durability. I'm looking for something that's sharp and smooth, but at a good price. To me, the Feathers are too expensive, and might still be too aggressive for me.

Just as a little background, I've been using Treet Platinum blades almost exclusively since I started wet-shaving not too long ago. I heard they mild compared to others and didn't want to bleed to death while learning, especially shaving my head. Now, I realize, they might be a bit too mild for shaving my head. The other day, I decided to use a Viking Revolution blade that came with my original starter razor; I was too hesitant to do so previously. I found the shave to be quite a bit smother, and the blade seemed sharper. They are not the cheapest blades though.

If there are other blades that beat Astra, I'm game. It just seems these are always on top blades lists.

Gillette purchased the original Czech company Astra DIU in 1996 and then moved production of Astra blades to their Russian facility in the early 2000's, so I don't think the Gillette purchase would be related to the opinions of the average B&Ber being shared currently.

Gillette purchased the original Czech company Astra DIU in 1996 and then moved production of Astra blades to their Russian facility in the early 2000's, so I don't think the Gillette purchase would be related to the opinions of the average B&Ber being shared currently.
I guess some of the places I've read reviews about the blade are a little biased or misinformed. They make it sound as if they were recently acquired and quality suddenly dropped as a result.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I like the Astra SS a lot. Good blades.

I think are skin must change overtime or something. When I began using DE blades a decade ago, I got along with Astra SP's quite well. Could get 5-7 shaves out of them. I am on the last few boxes I have in stock, and they seem to be a bit rougher and only last 3 shaves now. I also get more of the occasional nick with them now it seems.

I keep them in a plastic airtight storage container, so I don't know if it's some type of oxidation on the edge or just changes in my skin. I have quite a few Israeli Red Personna's that have always been good to me, but my favorite Wizamet Super Iridiums seem to be changing as far as quality as well. I have a 100 count of GSB's and while I can get 3 shaves out of them, they don't seem bad or good to me, just average or typical.

I need to get a few Astra SS and Nacet's and try them out.

Hello everyone. Are the Astras still a top choice for a razor blade? I've read people saying that quality has severely declined since Gillette bought the company.

Astras, both greens and blues, never have been a top choice for me. I'm unsure what you mean "since Gillette bought the company" (originally called "PRAGO UNION DIU") because it happened 25 years ago.

So far it seems that the Astra SS outperform the SP for most people. I have seen them mentioned on other sites; always just the SPs. To be honest, I didn't even know they existed. lol

I like both, but prefer the SS version since giving them a try a while back. Great performance in all my razors. Not sure why I put off using the SS blades for so long, but glad I did.

Astras, both greens and blues, never have been a top choice for me. I'm unsure what you mean "since Gillette bought the company" (originally called "PRAGO UNION DIU") because it happened 25 years ago.
Admittedly, this was a misunderstanding on my part. There are some people who claim that either the manufacturing process has changed or the blades they received were fakes, especially since the quality of their shave has diminished. Since I've never owned the blades, the SS or SP, I can't say if that's true or false. I've seen some pics of side by side comparisons and they look different. However, it has come to my attention that the logo is now laser engraved versus printed with ink. I think that some folks noticed a visual difference in the blades and perceived a difference in shave quality. But again, I have no clue and do not want to call them liars.

All Gillette blades are now laser etched and also the various packaging have received a minor refresh a couple of years ago. Many users got shocked at the changes and they started talking of fake blades, claiming a perceived change in shave quality. Judging from the new released blades (Gillette Platinums in the light blue box and KCG) the quality only went up.
If you buy your blades from a reputable seller the chances of getting fake blades are near to zero.

My experience is that when I tried Astra SP's about 5-10 years ago I was sufficiently impressed with their sharpness and durability. Where I would only get around 3 shaves with a Feather, the Astras generally go to at least 5 or 6, which is rare for most any blade against my beard (not overly dense, but tough and "wirey").

Fast forward to modern day and I recently brought 100 each of the SP's and SS's. The SP's were not as I remember them, yes they are still very sharp but the durability just isn't there. And one out of every 5 blades seems to be very 'bitey' out of the wrapper. The SS's on the other hand I found to not be as sharp as the SP but very smooth, almost comparable to a Voskhod. As far as I'm aware both sets of blades aren't counterfeit and from a reputable seller so I am in no doubt as to their authenticity.

Funnily enough, just before Christmas I was in a local shave shop and brought myself a new Merkur Futur razor and the seller threw in a free pack of Astra SP's and told me "these are the really mild ones so you shouldn't need to worry about cutting yourself"... lol

Thanks,

R

Top Bottom