What's new

Are Astra blades still a top choice?

Hello everyone. Are the Astras still a top choice for a razor blade? I've read people saying that quality has severely declined since Gillette bought the company. Previously, they were known for their sharpness and durability. I'm looking for something that's sharp and smooth, but at a good price. To me, the Feathers are too expensive, and might still be too aggressive for me.

Just as a little background, I've been using Treet Platinum blades almost exclusively since I started wet-shaving not too long ago. I heard they mild compared to others and didn't want to bleed to death while learning, especially shaving my head. Now, I realize, they might be a bit too mild for shaving my head. The other day, I decided to use a Viking Revolution blade that came with my original starter razor; I was too hesitant to do so previously. I found the shave to be quite a bit smother, and the blade seemed sharper. They are not the cheapest blades though.

If there are other blades that beat Astra, I'm game. It just seems these are always on top blades lists.

I have been getting really great shaves from Gillette Nacet and Rubie blades recently. Astra SP blades have worked well, but nothing special. Tried an Astra SS for the first time today and while it didn’t feel as magical as a Rubie, it certainly seemed to shave as well. And at $7 for 100, it’s a pretty good deal. Sadly don’t know about longevity yet, but I seem to toss blades after about 3 shaves.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Nothing wrong with Gillette Astra SP or Astra SS IMO. 1st 100 pack I bought where Astra SP DE razor blades, they are not the best possibly but are my standard blade for checking new razors with and other blades to do a comparison. They have changed the labeling on the steel part of the blade from stock I bought 4 yrs ago(less ink used). I would recommend them to anyone who likes good blades that are Sharp & smooth & good longevity...... Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg
Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Fwiw, I rate the Treet's - they perform well for me... And bring a mild razor guy, if a blade isn't sharp it will tend to be disappointing.

I prefer the DuraSharp, but the platinum stainless is a solid pick.

YMMV is very much a thing - the recommendation above to try a blade sampler is a great one, you'll see what is and isn't to your taste, with your razor.

Blades either work for you or don't. There's no such thing as ''top choice'' for a blade that works for everyone. I've tried a few Astra SP blades from different batches and time periods and the results were pretty much the same for me. The shaves were ok/meh and I can only get 2 shaves out of a blade.

I suppose I can shave with them if I don't have anything else available, but they aren't very sharp the shaves I get aren't very enjoyable. I wanted to like them, since they are very easy to find and some of the most inexpensive blades on the market, but they just aren't that good for me.

I have a few Astra SS blades which I have to try at some point. Most people agree that they are slightly better than the SP's.

I find it difficult to get a comfortable shave with both Astra SP and SS blades. Astra seems not sharp enough for me, feather is too aggressive and gives me irritation. Personna Israeli Red however is my sweet spot. Sharp, smooth and long lasting - up to 7 days per blade without pushing it. Everyone is different but I would highly recommend giving them a go and they are not too expensive.

I like both Astras' although the GSB is a better performer but costs more. For the price Astra are great value for money but I find the SP slightly smoother.

I love the Astra SP in my Rockwell 6S.

In my Merkur 34C I prefer the Feather. Unless I have cut myself shaving with my trusted Emerson mini commander while drunk. Then I use a Treet and feel sorry for myself.

In my slant I really like the super smooth yet effective Voskhod.... And the list of combinations goes on ad infinitum. Point being, there is no simple way for us to give you advice, and there is only one way for you to find out what works for you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are on the bright side of the Atlantic, you can compose your own sample pack here: https://www.razorbladesclub.com/.

The poor people on the wrong side have something similar, I'm sure someone will let you know.

If you like the Treet Platinum but want something slightly sharper but still smooth you should try the Voskhod. But my advice is of course highly subjective, based on my own experiences with Treet/Voskhod. You have to try for yourself. The good news is that blade samples are very cheap and exploring them is part of the adventure!

In the end you will find that as your technique improves you can get an awesome shave with at least 60-80% of the premium blades on the market.

Top Bottom