What's new

Are all the straight razors the same if properly honed?

They should all shave more or less the same with an equally good edge. You will notice some difference between different grinds. Which is to say that a hollow ground razor will flex more than a full wedge.

Some razors are heavy, some light.
Some like my face more than others.
Some always feel harsher overall than others.
But sometimes my harshest feeling razor can suddenly become my smoothest shaver when honed on a certain stone in a certain way.
What’s going on?
It’s beyond me,
I’m a simple man, I know little of steel and stone outside of my limited honing experiences and experiments.
But in answer to the OP’s question: yes they all shave if properly honed.
But properly honed in the the best possible way on the best possible stone with just the right amount of pressure for just the right amount of laps, then shaved with just the right technique with just the right lather?
There’s a lot to get right.
There are edges and there are edges.
Now and then we get a pole position lap, a hole in one, an ace serve, where we somehow get all those variables spot on and get a magical edge.
Keep going you’ll see what I mean. When it’s right it’s like an angel licking your beard off with a steel tongue.

No, they are not all the same. And the rub is, until you master stropping it does not matter, because you will not get the most from any razor until you do.

I takes about a year for a new straight razor shaver to get to the point where they are consistently improving an edge by stropping.

It only takes a single mis-stroke to roll or ruin an edge. It can be easily fixed on a hone but you must start all over.

And then there are some razors that shave better than others. Why, is the vast combination of thing that have been listed above. They all will shave if properly honed and stropped.

Top Bottom