What's new

are all glycerins the same

Was thinking about getting some glycerin, are they all the same ? I see local cvs has some under thier brand name says its 99.5 pure glycerin .

Yes, glycerin is all the same, however if you are a vegan, glycerin can come from both animal and plant sources, so you would want to find one of all vegetable origin, otherwise, there is no actual difference in the product... It's simply a byproduct of soap production, both vegetable and tallow based.

Yes, glycerin is all the same, however if you are a vegan, glycerin can come from both animal and plant sources, so you would want to find one of all vegetable origin, otherwise, there is no actual difference in the product... It's simply a byproduct of soap production, both vegetable and tallow based.

Also biodiesel production.

Also biodiesel production.

Boy, wouldn't that be a conundrum for a true eco-warrior... It's all plant based, no animals harmed... BUT it's almost certainly from GMO (Roundup-Ready at the very least) soybeans, AND it's going into a vehicle that belches out big clouds of black, billowy smoke... :D

if you are a vegan ... you would want to find one of all vegetable origin

Seen at one of my favorite restaurants, Smokey Bones:

Boneism No. 100: Hate to break it to you vegetarians, but plants are living things too.

From Red Green (great show):

Harold: I can't belive you would kill that defenseless animal! I'm perfectly happy eating my fresh from the tree apple. <takes a big bite out of it>
Red Green: At least we're doing the humane thing and killing it first Harold. You're eating that apple alive!

Just joking around a bit - I mean no offense to our vegan brethren.

Last edited:

Umm...so, it is not all the same.

Yes, all liquid glycerin is the same. I have used the CVS brand and it is fine. The magic words are Glycerin 99.5% Anhydrous, meaning it contains no water. See http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Uberlather and look at the photos of the glycerin bottles I use.
sweet nice tutorial I picked up a bottle today rubbed some on my head and used some water to wet it and shaved my head , worked well. Going to try the uberlather next time I shave

Same exact chemical structure C3H8O3 ... Just from two different sources... all the same, except in the mind of the user.

Just like when you see Stearic Acid in an ingredient. It could have came from vegetable or tallow sources, unless the product says it's all from vegan sources, it could be either/or/both. Tallow is approximately 14% Stearic Acid, animal fats as a whole are about 14 to 30% stearic acid, shea butter and cocoa butter are about 28%-45% stearic acid most other vegetable fats are only around 5%... It doesn't matter where it comes from, it's still C18H36O2

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Seen at one of my favorite restaurants, Smokey Bones:

Boneism No. 100: Hate to break it to you vegetarians, but plants are living things too.

From Red Green (great show):

Harold: I can't belive you would kill that defenseless animal! I'm perfectly happy eating my fresh from the tree apple. <takes a big bite out of it>
Red Green: At least we're doing the humane thing and killing it first Harold. You're eating that apple alive!

Just joking around a bit - I mean no offense to our vegan brethren.

Hehehehe.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did He make them out of MEAT?!

Can't help myself sometimes. ;wink2:

Same exact chemical structure C3H8O3 ... Just from two different sources... all the same, except in the mind of the user.

Just like when you see Stearic Acid in an ingredient. It could have came from vegetable or tallow sources, unless the product says it's all from vegan sources, it could be either/or/both. Tallow is approximately 14% Stearic Acid, animal fats as a whole are about 14 to 30% stearic acid, shea butter and cocoa butter are about 28%-45% stearic acid most other vegetable fats are only around 5%... It doesn't matter where it comes from, it's still C18H36O2

True, but you can buy USP (United States Pharmacopeia) grade and FCC (Food Chemicals Codex) grade glycerin. USP grade is pharmaceutical grade,and is the only grade that has any FDA regulation and oversight associated with it&#8217;s manufacture, labeling and marketing. Anything labeled FCC grade is done so voluntarily by the manufacturer with no regulatory oversight by the FDA (other then being referred to as GRAS-Generally recognized as safe-for food use). OP asked if all were the same, and perhaps chemically they are, but I would consider this a difference to a consumer.

Last edited:
OP asked if all were the same, and perhaps chemically they are, but I would consider this a difference to a consumer.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the grade has more to do with the product's purity (fewer impurities = higher grade) than its chemical makeup. Grade is definitely worth noting, but as for whether or not glycerin is from a plant or animal source - there's no way to tell the difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the grade has more to do with the product's purity (fewer impurities = higher grade) than its chemical makeup. Grade is definitely worth noting, but as for whether or not glycerin is from a plant or animal source - there's no way to tell the difference.

Yes, but OP asked if they are all the same, and since there are different grades I would say the answer is no, they are not all the same, regardless if glycerin from a plant or animal source is chemically identical.

This thread made me do some reading about glycerin (obviously:001_smile). One of the more interesting bits of info I read was this post from a PA pharmacist on a different forum.

I thought some of you might find it interesting.

I'm a pharmacist in PA. I'm going to copy and paste a post I wrote in another subforum:

Go to the skin care aisle of most any pharmacy and you'll find a small(usually 6oz) bottle labled Glycerine, USP(Some pharmacies don't carry outright , but will special order for you). The label may have it listed as CVS Glycerine, USP or Rite Aid Glycerine, USP or Humco Glycerine, USP or Family Pharmacy Glycerine, USP etc.. you get my point. Whatever it's labeled, it's Glycerine, USP 99.5% anhydrous(meaning 0.5% water). It will cost anywhere from $3 to $6 for 6oz.(CHEAP) This is vegetable glycerine, absolutely, positively, no doubt. How do I know this? I'm a pharmacist. All OTC glycerine,USP is made by 1 single manufacturer, HUMCO. It is then contract packaged into the different pharmacy labeled bottles. I've personally called HUMCO and spoke with their QA(quality assurance) person. He assured me that HUMCO's Glycerine is in fact Vegetable source Glycerine. The reason it's labeled Glycerine and not Vegetable Glycerine is because #1 it is listed in the USP as Glycerine, USP and therefore(in order to keep the USP certification) must be labeled as it's listed in the USP. #2 it would cause confusion as Glycerine is Glycerine(regardless of the source - chemically 1,2,3-propane triol), to add the moniker VEGETABLE, makes it sound like it's two different and distinct products, it isn't. Also, USP grade Glycerine is the purest you can get. Food Grade "vegetable Glycerine" you get in health food store saying 99.9% is BS. Since they do not have to meet any standard(such as USP standards) they could say anything, they could say 10000% pure. If you get USP grade, you know you are getting exactly what is labeled(within allowable USP limits) and it is made to most stringent requirements available in the US. (i.e. USP stands for United States Pharmacopeia- drugs have meet higher standards then foods do). Kashrut(kosher) laws are Jewish religious dietary laws having to do with the preparation of food products and really have nothing to do with the labeled purity of the product. Also, Kashrut(kosher) laws are jurisdictional(handled differently in different places). In some cases a rabbi must come to the manufacturer and verify processes and equipment conform to kosher law and in some places it's enough that the manufacturer says or thinks he is conforming to the kosher laws. In any case USP and Kosher are 2 different things. There is no such listing in the USP for "Kosher Glycerine". To the people who are feeling naseous using pharmacy bought Glycerine, USP, it may be a placebo effect(thinking your not using the real VG) or you may have a sensitivity to Glycerine(unlikely). But it is not because the Pharmacy bought Glycerine,USP is inferior or NOT Vegetable Glycerine.

Yes, but OP asked if they are all the same, and since there are different grades I would say the answer is no, they are not all the same, regardless if glycerin from a plant or animal source is chemically identical.
No arguments there. But, I was not addressing the OP; I was addressing this post:

M80 said:
bkfist said:

Maybe not all glycerine is what you want to use while making lather. I'm not so sure I want to use Fleet Liquid Glycerine, such as this. Link

Top Bottom