What's new

Are all creams the same!?

I've been using soaps the last few years, but recently have been considering creams for a change.
Looking at a few different posts, a few guys say different manufactures use Creighton cream base. Does this mean most creams the same, but with slight additions of scents. I'm talking about English creams. Seems you may as well buy the cheapest!

I wouldn’t say same, but similar.

Castle Forbes is the one made by a different manufacturer, and in my opinion much better than the others

They all use the same base in the formula, even the expensive ones. I can be sure because all Creighton's creams use Triethanolamine in the ingredients list. And their soaps use paraffinum liquidum.
I have used a lot creams from Castle Forbes to ToOBS (before I realised what Triethanolamine is). I found some minor differences. I found differences between different ToOBS creams (I have tried 5 variations). The most visuable different are in terms of scent strength and skincare.

No. They aren't all the same. I find differences in performance from different brands of creams. For instance I find a big difference in performance between Taylor of Old Bond Street and Castle Forbes. And not as you would think. I find TOBS performs better than CF. I have been disappointed in CF and don't use it much. Very little if any cushion and I find less slickness. Proraso seems to perform similar to TOBS. I find Musgo Real to be as good or better than TOBS in performance. But as rhtoras said, scents are vastly different.

I came here to buy creams as a change from soaps......however out off by them not so different from cream to cream!!

As far as English shave creams go... maybe.

There are plenty of non-English shave creams, though, that do use different bases. Some contain less soaps than others, others are basically pure soap.

Seems you may as well buy the cheapest!

You can certainly find creams that are cheap and good. A friend of mine visiting from London brought me a tube of The Real Shaving Company Age Defence Traditional Shave Cream. Inexpensive and an amazing performer.

Top Bottom