What's new

Are 3-piece safety razors easier to break if they fall than 2-piece razors?

You must have liked something about them to try three times, I'm sorry you encountered problems. How to account for all the people that don't have issues with alignment, though? I was scared off by the stories myself until I finally decided to try one. Now, they are the razor I use most.

I think I've made myself very clear. They shave great.

I've had three and they were all poor quality. By which I mean they had serious alignment issues. No echo chamber here. Feel free to wax lyrical about the shave. I would agree. But to put down people highlighting the poor build quality is inexcusable.

I don't have a fat tip and have never owned one. However I agree I don't think there is an "echo chamber ". I've seen quite a number of posts by different people about the alignment issues. Enough to scare me away. And I like brass razors and would have one otherwise.

And just because the razor is relatively cheap is no excuse. The Lord L6 is literally 5 bucks and I've not heard about alignment issues with that razor? I in fact have one and the alignment is perfect every time. If the alignment can be spot on with a 5 buck razor why not s $25 one?

When they come out right, Fatip is outstanding value for an all brass razor that is made in Europe.

The elegance of the color scheme used for the piccolo SE really sets it apart and it is not much more expensive than the usual Fatip standard razors and includes the gentile plate as well.

I've seen a photo of the machinery used for that operation at the Fatip factory. It appears to be some form of electric spot welding to join the posts to the cap. It leaves a small gap under the posts, which is where I think some of the complaints about alignment come from. The whole "alignment issues" thing is totally exaggerated, though. I have always gotten a good shave from both my Fatip razors, and able to get proper alignment every time.

An all-brass razor that gives an outstanding shave, with great balance and handling for $20? Sign me up. You are not buying a Timeless which costs ten times more; the Fatip is a good, but not perfect razor.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I recently dropped my Fatip gentile top cap in the sink. One of the locating pins came off.
Same thing happened to me this morning with a brand new Fatip Grande. Didn't even get one shave with it. 😕
The good news is that I have three other Fatip razors and two Schones.😁
I didn't know they were so fragile.
20200904_051503_kindlephoto-1820942.jpg

Same thing happened to me this morning with a brand new Fatip Grande. Didn't even get one shave with it. 😕
View attachment 1149948

My slant came apart recently as well so it went in the bin. I'm currently engaging in hypnotherapy to convince myself Fatips are quality items and a bargain at the price.

View attachment 1149948

I have had the exact same thing happen to my Schone, which is made by Fatip. Clearly Fatip has some issues with the pins on their top caps. Sort of defeats the purpose of brass construction if the pins are separate pieces that are afixed in some way. I've never heard of these issues with the Gillette Old Types which have similar pins.

I have had the exact same thing happen to my Schone, which is made by Fatip. Clearly Fatip has some issues with the pins on their top caps. Sort of defeats the purpose of brass construction if the pins are separate pieces that are afixed in some way. I've never heard of these issues with the Gillette Old Types which have similar pins.

Ah but Gillette Old types are quality items and a bargain at the price, and I needed no stinkin hypnotherapist to know that.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati

Also my thoughts exactly. However, I still really like these razors because of their performance, and really like the way they look.

Speaking of the Gillette old type razors, my grandfather used the same ball end old type for 60 years, which was issued to him by the US Army during WW1. He liked to keep things simple, and was a minimalist who took great care of everything he owned. I'm more of someone that likes to try new things or else I'll get bored I guess.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
My slant came apart recently as well so it went in the bin. I'm currently engaging in hypnotherapy to convince myself Fatips are quality items and a bargain at the price.
By the way, I took your advice on the Game Changer .68 open comb. I just had to buy the base plate. Awesome razor! Thank You!

Also my thoughts exactly. However, I still really like these razors because of their performance, and really like the way they look.

Speaking of the Gillette old type razors, my grandfather used the same ball end old type for 60 years, which was issued to him by the US Army during WW1. He liked to keep things simple, and was a minimalist who took great care of everything he owned. I'm more of someone that likes to try new things or else I'll get bored I guess.

I like the Schone's performance as well and it is one of 5 razors in my regular rotation. When I dropped the top cap and the pin snapped off, I contacted the seller to see if they sold just the top caps. No such luck. So I just bought a new razor. Certainly cheap enough. And I ended up with the new version of the razor handle. So now I have both versions of the handle. I need to find another razor head to put on the other handle.

Those joints look like cold welds or poor soldered joints which seems to have plagued the Fatip production line. The weakness is inherent in poorly executed butt joints.
I've never heard of these issues with the Gillette Old Types which have similar pins.
The pins of the Old Type were fixed through the thickness of the cap and either peened or brazed in position; I would think the latter.
I don't know which but it would be nice to hear from someone who has information on this. It is certainly more expensive jointing which probably explains why Fatip have chosen the cheaper but less effective jointing solution which is reflected in the cost of their razors.

Those joints look like cold welds or poor soldered joints which seems to have plagued the Fatip production line. The weakness is inherent in poorly executed butt joints.

The pins of the Old Type were fixed through the thickness of the cap and either peened or brazed in position; I would think the latter.
I don't know which but it would be nice to hear from someone who has information on this. It is certainly more expensive jointing which probably explains why Fatip have chosen the cheaper but less effective jointing solution which is reflected in the cost of their razors.

That actually makes sense. On a couple of my older Gillettes I can see a circle forming in the top of the top cap which is presumably the pin being pushed up due to overtightening of the head on the handle. The Fatips and Schones look like they are just brazed onto the top cap with not very much to hold it in place.

I just received my first Fatip. Has anyone had any luck contacting the manufacturer to get a broken razor replaced? Or “cost of doing business” in buying such an inexpensive razor?

I just received my first Fatip. Has anyone had any luck contacting the manufacturer to get a broken razor replaced? Or “cost of doing business” in buying such an inexpensive razor?

I never bothered. I reached out to Alrossa which was the online retailer I bought my razor from. All they did was take $5 off a new razor. I also figure that if I did try and contact Fatip/Schone as an Italian company, the language barrier would have made things difficult at best. For a $25 razor it didn't seem worth it.

You may get a refund or replacement from the vendor which are the trading rules in most regions. See this thread; This is not OK, right? FATIP blade exposure. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/this-is-not-ok-right-fatip-blade-exposure.593987/
Most are time limited so that is a further hinderance.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Yes, I already have a replacement on the way from the vendor.

Top Bottom