What's new

Are 1920 Gillette DE razors any good

I just wondered. It appears that people love 1940 techs and 1950s fat boys...just thoght maybe there might be some good to the earlier models.

Yes. The Old Styles and the New Improved razors of the 10's and 20's have devout followers. They were designed for a thicker blade than today's modern blades, but this lends itself to an aggressive shave which many desire. The NEW razors of the 30's and 40's are really great. They were designed for the modern blade gauging and have the same slotted head as the Techs. The open comb design of all of these are also a key attraction.

I just wondered. It appears that people love 1940 techs and 1950s fat boys...just thoght maybe there might be some good to the earlier models.

the only 2 REGULAR DE razors in my rotation are a 1905 and 1910 gillette. amazing shavers.

I'm still in experiment mode so still trying different razors, but the two 1930's NEWs I have are the best razors I've tried so far and my current favorites. Definitely worth trying out.

While not adding anything new, I highly agree with the post concerning the NEW. By far my favorite shavers are my 1930 silver bar handled NEW and my 1933 British NEW. I have 7 razors and have tried many more, but these are at the top of my favorites. The hard part is deciding which is the premier favorite.:tongue:

In my extended rotation I use a model 102 single ring from 1909 and an early-20's ball end old-type. They provide a fine shave.

-- John Gehman

I have a 1905 double ring and two other old razors and a number of New Improved razors from the 1920s. They make up 90% of my rotation. For some reason, they give the best shaves, for me anyway. Then I throw in a New and some 1940's TTOs.

I like the triple silver or gold plating. They clean up and look as good as new.

I just bought this... Says that it shaves well. Some of the gold plate is gone..What do you all thinK?

ARG --

You did just fine. The 'New' depicted in the eBay listing should serve you well. I consider them relatively aggressive, but if you practice all the wet shaving fundimentals, you'll do fine and have fine shaves.

-- John Gehman

I have an old-style big fellow and my great-grandfather's old type from a WWI era shaving kit in my rotation.

They work fine, aggressive, but good shavers.

Disclaimer Required:

One must understand Dave is 112 years old and has socks and underwear as old as his rotation.

:wink:

Guido,

That makes me really old if Dave is 112. He is the same age as my daughter.:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

By the way, I have three Gillettes of this era, 09 Single Ring, 20 Old Style with Ball End Handle, and 22 NEW Standard.

Also have about a dozen open comb razors. The only kind that I really like.

But for any one looking to give an open comb razor a try I would recommend a 30's era NEW.

I wonder, what do you use on a vintage razor like this to polish the metal? I looked over the suggestions, they seem to be geared for stainless steal and chrome rather than gold, brass and copper. I read some suggestions for products like Mass and Flitz metal polishes. What do you all use?

Hi Dave,

so scrubbing bubbles is all you use? You don't bother with polishes and such? Thank you for your help.

I think the NEW is the best Gillette DE for use with modern blades.

I'm not a fan of the SS razors and a ball-handled NEW is the only Gillette in my rotation.

Top Bottom