What's new

arbenz frameback?

i recently honed up a arbenz frame back
i fascinated with them they are so different from anything i own.

i expected a super thin blade, since i read that is one of reasons for design

i found the blade thick and chunky nothing thin about it at all, but still has decent balance

are they all like this? are some thinner than others?

also what is theory with multiple, replaceable blades?
i think there will be a disconnect if blades and spine don't wear evenly?

any history? dates? story?

Last edited:
Framebacks are typically old. They date back from before Ern figured out how to hollow the blade. Before that, all blades were pretty much ground as wedge. One solution for thinner blade is the frameback. I have not noticed much difference in the thickness of the blades from one frameback to the other (and I have many French, Swedish, Japanese and Swiss ones). The frame however can be different (some are stainless steel, some are exotic non-steel metals) and whether the blade can be exchanged or not varies as well.

Then another solution was figured out one: the rattler, often referred to as faux-frameback, as the blade has a similar thickness than a frameback, but are one piece. Because the grinding is parallel to the blade, the process is simpler than the modern hollowing out.

Typically the steel on framebacks is hard and the blade is thin, but thicker overall than a the tip of a full hollow, so the resulting feel of the blade is closer to a wedge, except that most wedge are made of softer steel.

As mentioned before, I have many and I do enjoy using them.

Top Bottom