What's new

Aramis Havana or Czech & Speake Cuba?

So, how does Santa Maria Novella Cuba fit in here? Does it belong in this discussion, or does it just have a similar name?

SMN Acqua di Cuba? Similar name. Very different scent. Pure unburned Burley cigarette tobacco. A true tobacco scent.

For the record, I am a pretty big C&S fan.

By the way is it just the Havana Eau de Toilette that is still being manufactured, or is there After Shave as well? I seem to have great difficulty in finding the AS (ebay excluded).

SMN Cuba shares its' name with C&S Cuba and that's about it. SMN is much sweeter and safer. I love C&S Cuba so I guess I'm a fecal freak.

By the way is it just the Havana Eau de Toilette that is still being manufactured, or is there After Shave as well? I seem to have great difficulty in finding the AS (ebay excluded).

Aramis reissued 8 fragrances a couple of years ago as their "Gentleman's Collection", which included Havana. I don't believe they offer an aftershave, so listings for the AS on eBay would be vintage.

I tell you what else quickly, since we're on the Aramis topic. I forgot who absolutely fantastic their hair gel is. I was in the market for a new one and was in Bloomie's and remembered how much I liked the Aramis hair gel that I used in my early 20's. On a whim, I decided to see if they had in stock and they did. The woman told me hardly anyone buys it anymore, and it ran me $14. But it really is fantastic. Smells great and holds well too, very impressive for an alcohol free gel.

Max

A place for both. They seem very different to me. Like many, I guess even though I do not smell the fecal note in Cuba as a fecal note, I am somewhat afraid to wear it for fear others would. Although I think that note blows off quickly.

I think Cuba works better as a warm whether scent, with tobacco, lime, mint, sort of a rum/bay rum. There is a lightness and openness to it.

Havana seems dense, intense, complex. Not light. Something of a variation of Aramis. A bit 70s. Powerhouse.

I like both. I have never been to Cuba, but they both evoke Cuba to me!

Agreed.

I actually have a tube of Aramis aftershave balm. I should give it a try. Although as I recall it strongly scented, enough to probably dominate anything else I put on that day.

I do not recall seeing an Havana AS in the release. If the AS is in a round blue bottle it is going to vintage. The new style bottle for the EDT, anyway, is square and clear.

Thanks Jakespoppy and the Knize, I was afraid that might be the case. I got the EdT, and I guess I will just make do without the AS. I Like the scent anyways.

I tell you what else quickly, since we're on the Aramis topic. I forgot who absolutely fantastic their hair gel is. I was in the market for a new one and was in Bloomie's and remembered how much I liked the Aramis hair gel that I used in my early 20's. On a whim, I decided to see if they had in stock and they did. The woman told me hardly anyone buys it anymore, and it ran me $14. But it really is fantastic. Smells great and holds well too, very impressive for an alcohol free gel.

Max

Interesting. Would you use the hair gel when you are wearing other EdTs?

Thanks Jakespoppy and the Knize, I was afraid that might be the case. I got the EdT, and I guess I will just make do without the AS. I Like the scent anyways.

The going prices on the vintage aftershave are pretty scary aren't they? In this case, I think the market is on to something, unfortunately.

True that, and there's always a risk when you buy vintage or OP stuff, isn't there? I am not even sure if my bottle of Havana is of the new production, because I haven't seen any code with a date anywhere on the packaging. It was sealed and all that, but still. Especially as the fragrance was surprisingly 'shy', much more subtle than I had expected from all the discussion about Havana, that it's bold and complex etc. To my nose, it doesn't seem overly so, really. Maybe it needs warmer weather?

Compared with the Aramis classic, for example: I got some classic After Shave on me right now, and this is projecting strongly, it's really noticeable even to me. Of course, I suppose it fades more quickly than the classic Edt (which I don't have). But I need to be pretty careful not to over-apply this stuff, and I think that's not the case with Havana EdT at all. Curious, but maybe it's just my nose? I have to ask what other people think about the frag.

Top Bottom