What's new

AR9

Any AR9 shooters out there?
I'm thinking about building one, but can't decide if I want to base it on a regular AR15 lower or on a dedicated AR9 lower. Any thoughts?

I built one with a dedicated 9mm lower - basically the same process as any AR with slightly different parts.
I was surprised by a few things when all was said & done.
Cost was more than my previous AR-15 build
Recoil was on par with .223
It's really strange to shoot a 9mm at 100 yards and nail the target every time...

If I had to do all over again I'd build up a 6/6.5 vs the 9.
Fun gun, but I put a lot more through other toys regularly.

Here's a LINK to the lower- there is a matching upper on the same site...

Last edited:
Cost was more than my previous AR-15 build
Haha ain't that the truth. Especially if you wander down the "how low can I go" weight path.

I've built a few AR9s and shot Colts years back. Last build was a Colt mag Quarter Circle 10 upper/lower, thought-activated trigger, hydraulic buffer, uber light, and tuned for certain loads. A ridiculous overthought and overpriced game gun basically. But it looks cool and that's what matters most. :letterk1:

alistair saving some $ is the only advantage I'm aware of for going the conversion route. Especially if you're not building anything fancy or finicky. It was pretty common when Colt was the only AR9 game in town. These days there are a lot more options for buying or building. Glock mag lower AR9s are pretty popular these days for good reasons, like the one fastback linked.

Last edited:
Haha ain't that the truth. Especially if you wander down the "how low can I go" weight path.

I've built a few AR9s and shot Colts years back. Last build was a Colt mag Quarter Circle 10 upper/lower, thought-activated trigger, hydraulic buffer, uber light, and tuned for certain loads. A ridiculous overthought and overpriced game gun basically. But it looks cool and that's what matters most. :letterk1:

alistair saving some $ is the only advantage I'm aware of for going the conversion route. Especially if you're not building anything fancy or finicky. It was pretty common when Colt was the only AR9 game in town. These days there are a lot more options for buying or building. Glock mag lower AR9s are pretty popular these days for good reasons, like the one fastback linked.
Thanks

Top Bottom